Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Will You Be Egging During the Coronapocalypse?

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    1) I had to “Like” a cook with tater tots. 
    2) Welcome aboard @Big_Sam_I_am.
    3) We have a lot of junk in our freezer including my share of the sausage haul from the last sauscutapalooza so we’re good for a while. And our 180 bottle wine fridge is nearly full. 
    Why am I only just now hearing about this?  That is awesome.  
    You just said what I was thinking. 
    I’ve got a closet I store beer in. That’s kinda the same thing though, right?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    3) We have a lot of junk in our freezer including my share of the sausage haul from the last sauscutapalooza so we’re good for a while. And our 180 bottle wine fridge is nearly full. 
    @JohnInCarolina, it's a relatively new development.  We upgraded from a 35 bottle fridge about a year ago after visiting Sonoma and joining a couple of wine clubs.  We spent the past year filling it up - including joining three wine clubs in the Texas Hill Country (note: over 90% of Texas wine is crap - if you need some guidance let me know).  Then we went to Napa in the fall...

But when I'm with Egggheads I'm usually drinking Belgian beer or whiskey.  

It didn't occur to me that while we were filling it up we were also preparing for COVID-19.

We're supposed to drive out the Hill County tomorrow to pick up one of our orders from a vineyard where we are members.  We usually stay for a while and drink some free wine, tasting new offerings, etc and bring our own meat/cheese/snacks.  I just told my wife that if the place is crowded we aren't staying - we're just getting our wine and getting out.  She's fighting me on that and saying that I'm being ridiculous. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    We upgraded from a 35 bottle fridge about a year ago after visiting Sonoma and joining a couple of wine clubs.  We spent the past year filling it up - including joining three wine clubs in the Texas Hill Country (note: over 90% of Texas wine is crap - if you need some guidance let me know).  Then we went to Napa in the fall...
    The utard church-state just finished up their annual session.  One of the surprising laws that they passed (still needs the guv'nors signature) is to allow anyone to sign up for wine-clubs, nationwide!  We need to go to our local state-run liquor store, and they'll set up an account, where they receive the monthly delivery, apply the 88% "sin tax", and let you know you can drive down to pick up (and pay for) your monthly shipment.  Yeah, that's how it works here.  

Back in 2002 I visited a winery in central CA and found a wine using the "carignone" grape (sp?) that I really fell for.  The salesman asked me how many bottles he could sell me, and I told him I had to fly home, and couldn't carry anything to utard.  He showed me that the laws just got changed, and he could even ship.  I bought a case, and it was (!!!) delivered to my doorstep!  
    Right after the 2002 Olympics concluded, the laws were changed BACK, and I could no longer order this wine.  The whole thing was to shape the attitude of the whole world, in an incorrect way; "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" doesn't apply, I guess (I may be stepping on a few toes here).
    Despite the markup, I'd really like to have this wine again.  Might do this, OR (since I'm retired) just drive/bicycle to the Central Coast, and bring it back gangsta style....

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:
    We upgraded from a 35 bottle fridge about a year ago after visiting Sonoma and joining a couple of wine clubs.  We spent the past year filling it up - including joining three wine clubs in the Texas Hill Country (note: over 90% of Texas wine is crap - if you need some guidance let me know).  Then we went to Napa in the fall...
    The utard church-state just finished up their annual session.  One of the surprising laws that they passed (still needs the guv'nors signature) is to allow anyone to sign up for wine-clubs, nationwide!  We need to go to our local state-run liquor store, and they'll set up an account, where they receive the monthly delivery, apply the 88% "sin tax", and let you know you can drive down to pick up (and pay for) your monthly shipment.  Yeah, that's how it works here.  

Back in 2002 I visited a winery in central CA and found a wine using the "carignone" grape (sp?) that I really fell for.  The salesman asked me how many bottles he could sell me, and I told him I had to fly home, and couldn't carry anything to utard.  He showed me that the laws just got changed, and he could even ship.  I bought a case, and it was (!!!) delivered to my doorstep!  
    Right after the 2002 Olympics concluded, the laws were changed BACK, and I could no longer order this wine.  The whole thing was to shape the attitude of the whole world, in an incorrect way; "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" doesn't apply, I guess (I may be stepping on a few toes here).
    Despite the markup, I'd really like to have this wine again.  Might do this, OR (since I'm retired) just drive/bicycle to the Central Coast, and bring it back gangsta style....
    No one is holding a gun to your head (anymore?) Botch.  Why not move to Idaho or something? 
    Options
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:

No one is holding a gun to your head (anymore?) Botch.  Why not move to Idaho or something? 
    I think he secretly likes it in utard.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    @JohnInCarolina, it's a relatively new development.  We upgraded from a 35 bottle fridge about a year ago after visiting Sonoma and joining a couple of wine clubs.  We spent the past year filling it up - including joining three wine clubs in the Texas Hill Country (note: over 90% of Texas wine is crap - if you need some guidance let me know).  Then we went to Napa in the fall...

It didn't occur to me that while we were filling it up we were also preparing for COVID-19.

We're supposed to drive out the Hill County tomorrow to pick up one of our orders from a vineyard where we are members.  We usually stay for a while and drink some free wine, tasting new offerings, etc and bring our own meat/cheese/snacks.  I just told my wife that if the place is crowded we aren't staying - we're just getting our wine and getting out.  She's fighting me on that and saying that I'm being ridiculous. 
    Which vinyard?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I can't wait to see this thread in a weeks time.. Spam recipes etc..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    That's easy, fry in batter.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    No Soylent Green?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:

Which vinyard?
    @YukonRon, today we’re going to Hilmy. I used to work with Erik Hilmy’s uncle so we have been there a few times and like a few of their blends. 

We may stop by Becker as we are members there as well. They put out some good stuff - again mostly their blends.  

We also like Driftwood quite a bit. We gave up our membership there a while ago because it’s in the wrong direction so we don’t get there as much. 

There are a couple dozen tasting rooms on Highway 290 out of Fredericksburg, TX.  Most of them have “sweet wines” for the majority of their offerings.  We try not to be snobs and we’ve bought a few bottles of sweet wine over the years - especially some of those made from other fruits like peaches. On a hot summer day it can taste quite good when served over ice. But at this point we won’t stop at most of the tasting rooms in that area. It’s not Napa. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I have a real question about the virus and the other thread was sunk so I’ll post it here. My question is for the IT crowd @Lit @DMW @ColtsFan etc. 

With so many schools and universities shutting down for the next few weeks (at a minimum), where did all of the bandwidth come from to make this possible? Surely we didn’t have that much excess server capacity just sitting idle in our education system. If additional servers are being added as emergency expenditures, is there are shortage of equipment given that most of it like Chinese made or Chinese sourced parts? I’m just wondering how we can swap over to “virtual learning” with the snap of a finger. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have a real question about the virus and the other thread was sunk so I’ll post it here. My question is for the IT crowd @Lit @DMW @ColtsFan etc. 

With so many schools and universities shutting down for the next few weeks (at a minimum), where did all of the bandwidth come from to make this possible? Surely we didn’t have that much excess server capacity just sitting idle in our education system. If additional servers are being added as emergency expenditures, is there are shortage of equipment given that most of it like Chinese made or Chinese sourced parts? I’m just wondering how we can swap over to “virtual learning” the snap of the fingers. 
    Most of the services used by schools are now hosted by public cloud providers, not on-prem, things like Google Classroom, etc. These providers have capacity that can scale rapidly. That said, IT supply chain is being stressed right now. We are working with our customers on demand planning to ensure we can meet their upcoming requirements. Here's a message from our CEO:
    https://youtu.be/OOrvleZw7jA
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Thanks @DMW
    One of the many things that is awesome about this forum is how quickly you can get answers to questions like that.  A lot of expertise here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great sounding non-meal @DoubleEgger
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2020
    Options
    SRF Black Brisket is on!

Crappy second pic in retrospect but the brisket is draped over two semi circular pieces of Cherry to help it fit on the large.

Brisket is injected with Butcher Block, rubbed with Holy Cow, sitting over a foil pan with water/beef broth, and smoking over Rockwood, Cherry, and Post Oak.

Plan is to wrap in foil in four hours.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Corned beef. We happened upon a small town store yesterday with points instead of flats and on sales as well. I grabbed a four pounder and soaked it all night to pull the salt out of it. This morning I coated it with black pepper and put it on the egg with a big handful of pecan chunks. It’s been on about three hours so far. I’ll wrap it butcher paper in a couple hours and take it to 205*, followed by an hour or so in the cooler. I’ll be using it for sandwiches and breakfast hash. Bride of Teefus is doing a flat in the crock pot Tuesday for our traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner. Other than that we’ll be doing the usual stuff. We’ve got a decent supply of beef, pork, and chicken in the freezer. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,667
    Options
    @Teefus i was tempted to buy a point but stuck with the flat. Does the point make a better pastrami?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    caliking said:
    Just picked up half a dozen bags of Rockwood.  I should be all set for at least a week or two lol.
    Amateur. 
    I haven’t bought lumps in over 3 yrs, still have more than 10 or 15 bags😀, been using pellet poopers more than eggs.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    Traegering an Egret ham this afternoon...

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @dmourati - Just make sure you keep  the liquid in the pan (heat sink) or else there will be a temperature spike.  Enjoy the fun cook and follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Think I’m gonna do this on the PK out front but my little chef is folding a 500g dough ball. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I think I'm going to order pick up and hold on to our supplies while we still can. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I'm about to head out exploring the local Kroger and booze store (can't sell adult juice before 1 PM  on Sunday...not supposed to attend church hammered I guess B) ).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    She’s growing up fast @Lit
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    Just picked up half a dozen bags of Rockwood.  I should be all set for at least a week or two lol.
    Amateur. 
    I haven’t bought lumps in over 3 yrs, still have more than 10 or 15 bags😀, been using pellet poopers more than eggs.
    Traitor =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    As noted above, no pics so it did'nt happen, but went to the local butcher. They were pretty well sold out. They did have some waygu ribeyes. So why not? They were good.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

With so many schools and universities shutting down for the next few weeks (at a minimum), where did all of the bandwidth come from to make this possible? Surely we didn’t have that much excess server capacity just sitting idle in our education system. If additional servers are being added as emergency expenditures, is there are shortage of equipment given that most of it like Chinese made or Chinese sourced parts? I’m just wondering how we can swap over to “virtual learning” with the snap of a finger. 
    I have already noticed reduced service on my phone. Friday so many people were out when I was sitting in the parking lot behind Jax off marketplace about half the texts I was sending failed to send on the first try. There’s only so much service available from what’s on the tower and it takes months to get leasing rights and structural s done and all that to add more radios to increase capacity. Also many of the antennas come from China so we are already seeing supply chain issues.