Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Firing up a GIANT smoker-LOT of extra cooking space-what would you cook?

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,846
I'm thinking about sides, leftovers, parting gifts, whatever.

I'm going to be leading a team where we do our annual BBQ for new employees and cook for 100+ people.  We have typically done 5 briskets and 3-4 pork shoulders on a motley collection of assorted of grills/kamados/smokers.

Here is last year's cook.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1214340/ot-5-briskets-3-pork-shoulders-homemade-brats-smoked-mac-cheese-a-giant-quesadilla-and-more#latest

This year, I've arranged to borrow a giant reverse flow smoker that a competition team uses - not for their competition cooks - but to feed the masses at big parties and for benefits - like 5000 victims of Hurricane Harvey.  They have apparently cooked 30 briskets at one time and still did not feel it was "full".  I mentioned this to another friend who competes with a different team, but knows this smoker pretty well and he said "You ought to just invite people to bring whatever they would like to have at home (a couple of briskets, racks of ribs, whatever) and just have them throw the food on and cook them to put in a cooler and take home after the party."

That seems like a pretty good idea and we may do that.  But it also made me wonder - as long as this smoker is cranked up, what would the really intelligent and innovative Egghead crowd throw on the smoker?

We're planning:
5 briskets (HEB Prime 1 - or Costco prime).  We have some Muslim colleagues who have ordered a Halal brisket as well.
4 @YukonRon pork shoulders (one of my team has tested the recipe and says it may be the best food he has ever tasted)
4 large pans of smoked mac and cheese
Some homemade brats - made by a colleague who makes them out of wild hog that he shoots at his deer lease
We're going to sacrifice a couple of brisket points to make burnt ends to give to an Asian colleague who is going to use them to make a rice/sushi style roll/appetizer
The guy who brings the brats sometimes gets a fresh wild hog in the 60 pound range so we can cook it whole

The hosts (a colleague and her husband) will make giant marinated chicken quesadillas out of naan - and a lot of veggies on their gas grill.

Margaritas and beer will be flowing in addition to a lot of nonalcoholic beverages.

We may chop/pull any leftover meat and put it in ziplocks for partygoers to take home.

Other thoughts?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Options
    Here are (not very good) pics of the smoker.

For those who don’t know me, I’m 6’6” for reference.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Yep...you weren't kidding...that is a GIANT smoker!
    Good luck with your event, sounds like a fun time!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Get a 50lb sack of kosher salt and smoke it in trays.  Get some cheap containers at dollar store to send it home with people.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Interesting thought @Legume

How long would i have to smoke it at 275 degrees?

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My invitation?.....
    Seriously sounds like an awesome event...if I were in the area I would love to help out.
    Have fun....love the suggestion by @Legume.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I have no idea, I have used smoked salt and like it, but I’ve never smoked salt myself.  I’ve seen posts here on it.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    As I'm partial to non-pork products, my first thoughts go to beef ribs or pulled beef (chuck) and maybe some chicken wings.  Although some type of fruit cobbler would be a cool thing to have on the menu.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I too like Legume idea too.  To add to that you could do some almonds or even water.  Tell them to use it to make smoked ice cubes for bloodys.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Jus start tasting it after a few hours and pull it when you like it. 

Fun idea for a goody bag. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its good to lightly mist the salt as well and whatever jar you get, make sure it seals well. if its not sealed it losses some flavor.  you could mix the salt with spices to make smoked bloody mary rim salt

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Looks like a ton of fun and some great food ahead. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    I say I say I say, that’s a big ass smoker.......
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @ColbyLang gets it. 

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @ColbyLang gets it. 
    Did Poindexter draw up the plans for it?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    This annual event is quite a great way to intro the new employees.  Great find to make fire management much easier-hope you have lots of help tending that rig.
    I really like @Legume 's suggestion.  Something that is definitely unique to the event.
    The thought of making the smoker available to the invitees has merit but unless bounds are put on what to bring you could be looking at another "around the clock" run for butts or brisket.  If you go that route, then limit it to proteins with a manageable cook time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Here are (not very good) pics of the smoker.

For those who don’t know me, I’m 6’6” for reference.  
    Cesar Hernandez sums it up perfectly here👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @lousubcap, you make a good point.  I was thinking I may offer up a rib and/or chicken class to anyone that brings their own protein and a cooler to take it home.  I generally like to cook chicken a little hotter than we'll probably be running the smoker, but it would probably still turn out great.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @lousubcap, you make a good point.  I was thinking I may offer up a rib and/or chicken class to anyone that brings their own protein and a cooler to take it home.  I generally like to cook chicken a little hotter than we'll probably be running the smoker, but it would probably still turn out great.
    I like this idea. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    This annual event is quite a great way to intro the new employees.  Great find to make fire management much easier-hope you have lots of help tending that rig.
    I really like @Legume 's suggestion.  Something that is definitely unique to the event.
    The thought of making the smoker available to the invitees has merit but unless bounds are put on what to bring you could be looking at another "around the clock" run for butts or brisket.  If you go that route, then limit it to proteins with a manageable cook time.  FWIW-
    +1. People will stroll in at different times and want their meat to be cooked. Unless you have them drop it off a day or two before, and then you can figure out the timing. 

You’re spoiling them ‘terns :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    A whole beef shoulder clod. 
    With that space you have to do something you can’t usually do.  
    (Or maybe you do have the means to do them?)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Throw on some lamb shanks.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Can never go wrong with ribs
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Yo Fog, will Green Chilie’s be available on the date? Would add a great aroma to the event, perhaps a great take home. Not sure of your timing....but a thought.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Another option to consider is smoked baked potatoes and you could make BBQ stuffed baked potatoes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Update,

@Legume, we ended up going with your idea.  We smoked some salt in aluminum pans and put it in ziplocks for people.  It was very well received.  We went for about 2.5 hours at about 225 in the periphery of the smoker.

I ultimately decided not to go with a rib or chicken class because of all the other stuff we had to do all day to get ready to receive 120 guests - and it wasn't my house.

We ended up cooking 6 briskets, 5 @YukonRon pork shoulders, 8 pans of smoked mac and cheese, 3 pans of mushrooms (to be used later in vegetarian quesadillas), and 8 pans of salt.  It took a while to figure out the temperature layout of the smoker, but once we dialed it in it was a great cook.  We didn't get nearly as many pics as I would have liked so I'll just apologize for that. in advance.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Pics

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Foghorn
    Im going to give this the Double Salute my friend👍
    Guy Gronquist and Cesar Hernandez both salute this cook👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @SGH.  That’s quite an honor. 

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Options
    I can’t believe you missed the opportunity to take pics of salt, that could’ve been some exciting photography!

Glad it worked out, I’ll have to do this myself sometime.