Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - 5 briskets, 3 pork shoulders, homemade brats, smoked mac & cheese, a giant quesadilla, and more

FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,801
edited July 1 in Off Topic
Did a cook for a work function.  Briskets rubbed with a mix of Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Smoked from 9:30 PM to midnight on the offset to take on some smoke and get a good smoke ring - then moved to the kamados so we could sleep for 5 hours.  Pork rubbed with a mix of whatever I had in the cabinet, cooked in the offset, and mixed with Franklin's vinegar sauce when it was pulled.  Brats made by a colleague from a pig he shot with added storebought beef fat.  They were awesome.  Smoked mac & cheese made by a different colleague (the same guy who separates the flat from the point when he slices the brisket), Beans made by a yet another colleague.  Veggies cooked by the hosts.  Giant quesadilla also made by the hosts using a storebought naan (sorry @caliking and @20stone), marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and smoked gouda - then sliced for serving.  It was a huge team effort and it was awesome.  Pics will follow.  I'll load them when I'm not on an airplane as the wifi here at 30,000 feet isn't cooperating.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,757
    Impressive description.  Can't wait for the pics.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 11,084
    Foghorn said:
    Did a cook for a work function.  Briskets rubbed with a mix of Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub and Montreal Stead Seasoning.  Smoked from 9:30 PM to midnight on the offset to take on some smoke and get a good smoke ring - then moved to the kamados so we could sleep for 5 hours.  Pork rubbed with a mix of whatever I had in the cabinet, cooked in the offset, and mixed with Franklin's vinegar sauce when it was pulled.  Brats made by a colleague from a pig he shot with added storebought beef fat.  They were awesome.  Smoked mac & cheese made by a different colleague (the same guy who separates the flat from the point when he slices the brisket), Beans made by a yet another colleague.  Veggies cooked by the hosts.  Giant quesadilla also made by the hosts using a storebought naan (sorry @caliking and @20stone), marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and smoked gouda - then sliced for serving.  It was a huge team effort and it was awesome.  Pics will follow.  I'll load them when I'm not on an airplane as the wifi here at 30,000 feet isn't cooperating.
    I want be able to nap this afternoon while I await your photos. Ok...looking forward when I wake up.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,885
    edited July 1
    Sounds awesome!
    Visalia, Ca
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,331
    Wow! Sounds like a fun time.  What offset are you using?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,801
    @blind99, a custom one built on a trailer.  Pic of it will be up soon if my layover in Nashville allows for time to upload pics.  If not, it will be a while as I fly to Boston and then have a 2 hour bus to Cape Cod.

FYI, I learned that your buddy who is the son of our mutual friend has an egg and is moving to Texas.  You need to get him on this forum.  

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

edited July 1
    There was so much good food that in the first post I forgot to mention the pineapple bacon shrimp glazed with pineapple chipotle brown sugar BBQ sauce that we made.

Thanks for the comments - the pics are here @lkapigian, @northGAcock, @blind99, @lousubcap.

Thanks for looking.

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,885
    Nailed it all the way around !
    Visalia, Ca
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,757
    Now that is truly a "Go big or go home" undertaking and banquet right there.  Great outcome as expected.  Congrats.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 2,114
    Awesome. Looks like a great time!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,654
    Wow!  Nice to see John helping out!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 2,027
    While it all looks great, that black bean and corn salad, and the roasted veggies look especially good. Don't know what that says about me? 
  • SGHSGH Posts: 25,049
    Brother Horn, it all looks spectacular. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
    @epcotisbest, I think it was just the photography that make the veggies look so good.  (I didn't take most of the pictures).  Surely, as you went through the line you would have piled a fair amount of meat on your plate.

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 6,014
    Dayum,  nice effort and execution.  All of it looks amazing.
    Deets on the mac'n cheese please.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks @YEMTrey, I'll ask my partner in crime about the Mac recipe and get back to you.

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 2,027
    Foghorn said:
    @epcotisbest, I think it was just the photography that make the veggies look so good.  (I didn't take most of the pictures).  Surely, as you went through the line you would have piled a fair amount of meat on your plate.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct! Great meal there.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,667
    Yowza!! Now that's how it's done :)

Awesome spread, Fog. Looks fabulous.

Except for the naan. :disappointed:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Thanks @caliking

With regard to the naan, I’ll take the easy way out and just say that the quesadilla wasn’t my cook. 

San Antonio, TX

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,240
    Dude.  Spectacular way to appreciate your coworkers.  Great job.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06NorthPilot06 Posts: 545
    Amazing banquet, to say the least!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
    Thanks all. 

@bgebrent, we were welcoming the new coworkers that start July 1 every year. 

I worry that we went a little over the top such that within a couple of weeks it will be viewed as a bait and switch.  

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,050
    Awesome spread @Foghorn ;

You and your colleagues “got it going on”!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,240
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks all. 

@bgebrent, we were welcoming the new coworkers that start July 1 every year. 

I worry that we went a little over the top such that within a couple of weeks it will be viewed as a bait and switch.  
    Understood 100%.  That’s borderline cruel. ;) But they must get used to the difficult.  Nice welcome Matt brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,756
    Eggcellent @foghorn, nice cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia