Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - 5 briskets, 3 pork shoulders, homemade brats, smoked mac & cheese, a giant quesadilla, and more

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
Did a cook for a work function.  Briskets rubbed with a mix of Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Smoked from 9:30 PM to midnight on the offset to take on some smoke and get a good smoke ring - then moved to the kamados so we could sleep for 5 hours.  Pork rubbed with a mix of whatever I had in the cabinet, cooked in the offset, and mixed with Franklin's vinegar sauce when it was pulled.  Brats made by a colleague from a pig he shot with added storebought beef fat.  They were awesome.  Smoked mac & cheese made by a different colleague (the same guy who separates the flat from the point when he slices the brisket), Beans made by a yet another colleague.  Veggies cooked by the hosts.  Giant quesadilla also made by the hosts using a storebought naan (sorry @caliking and @20stone), marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and smoked gouda - then sliced for serving.  It was a huge team effort and it was awesome.  Pics will follow.  I'll load them when I'm not on an airplane as the wifi here at 30,000 feet isn't cooperating.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Impressive description.  Can't wait for the pics.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Did a cook for a work function.  Briskets rubbed with a mix of Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub and Montreal Stead Seasoning.  Smoked from 9:30 PM to midnight on the offset to take on some smoke and get a good smoke ring - then moved to the kamados so we could sleep for 5 hours.  Pork rubbed with a mix of whatever I had in the cabinet, cooked in the offset, and mixed with Franklin's vinegar sauce when it was pulled.  Brats made by a colleague from a pig he shot with added storebought beef fat.  They were awesome.  Smoked mac & cheese made by a different colleague (the same guy who separates the flat from the point when he slices the brisket), Beans made by a yet another colleague.  Veggies cooked by the hosts.  Giant quesadilla also made by the hosts using a storebought naan (sorry @caliking and @20stone), marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and smoked gouda - then sliced for serving.  It was a huge team effort and it was awesome.  Pics will follow.  I'll load them when I'm not on an airplane as the wifi here at 30,000 feet isn't cooperating.
    I want be able to nap this afternoon while I await your photos. Ok...looking forward when I wake up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sounds awesome!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like a fun time.  What offset are you using?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @blind99, a custom one built on a trailer.  Pic of it will be up soon if my layover in Nashville allows for time to upload pics.  If not, it will be a while as I fly to Boston and then have a 2 hour bus to Cape Cod.

FYI, I learned that your buddy who is the son of our mutual friend has an egg and is moving to Texas.  You need to get him on this forum.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There was so much good food that in the first post I forgot to mention the pineapple bacon shrimp glazed with pineapple chipotle brown sugar BBQ sauce that we made.

Thanks for the comments - the pics are here @lkapigian, @northGAcock, @blind99, @lousubcap.

Thanks for looking.

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Nailed it all the way around !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Now that is truly a "Go big or go home" undertaking and banquet right there.  Great outcome as expected.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Awesome. Looks like a great time!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow!  Nice to see John helping out!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    While it all looks great, that black bean and corn salad, and the roasted veggies look especially good. Don't know what that says about me? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Horn, it all looks spectacular. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @epcotisbest, I think it was just the photography that make the veggies look so good.  (I didn't take most of the pictures).  Surely, as you went through the line you would have piled a fair amount of meat on your plate.

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Dayum,  nice effort and execution.  All of it looks amazing.
    Deets on the mac'n cheese please.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @YEMTrey, I'll ask my partner in crime about the Mac recipe and get back to you.

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @epcotisbest, I think it was just the photography that make the veggies look so good.  (I didn't take most of the pictures).  Surely, as you went through the line you would have piled a fair amount of meat on your plate.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct! Great meal there.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yowza!! Now that's how it's done :)

Awesome spread, Fog. Looks fabulous.

Except for the naan. :disappointed:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @caliking

With regard to the naan, I’ll take the easy way out and just say that the quesadilla wasn’t my cook. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dude.  Spectacular way to appreciate your coworkers.  Great job.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Amazing banquet, to say the least!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks all. 

@bgebrent, we were welcoming the new coworkers that start July 1 every year. 

I worry that we went a little over the top such that within a couple of weeks it will be viewed as a bait and switch.  

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Awesome spread @Foghorn

You and your colleagues “got it going on”!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks all. 

@bgebrent, we were welcoming the new coworkers that start July 1 every year. 

I worry that we went a little over the top such that within a couple of weeks it will be viewed as a bait and switch.  
    Understood 100%.  That’s borderline cruel. ;) But they must get used to the difficult.  Nice welcome Matt brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Eggcellent @foghorn, nice cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia