Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AW/SS3 - Survival of the Fattest

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I hope you saved the anus for a certain someone...
    Options
    (Hint - does not show up more often than he does)
    Options
    I have yet to see even one beer, box of wine or artfully crafted cocktail.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Garage Mahal before...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Garage Mahal prepped and ready for the big show. 8 bells sharp tomorrow am....

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    Who will Nicholas Cage play in the movie of this fiasco?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A few stragglers from Asswhips past. Still hanging out. We will throw some of the copa and salami on pizzas tomorrow. we are one year in of a 2 year process on the prosciutto 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    So either Stone-y is a man of considerable talent, or that guy at Ace has a really miserable wife. You do what you gotta do though - Rock wood for Rockwood.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    So either Stone-y is a man of considerable talent, or that guy at Ace has a really miserable wife. You do what you gotta do though - Rock wood for Rockwood.
    The funny thing is, I HAD a new bag, but gave it to a buddy who just bought an egg, and I didn't want him to be without. He banged out some pizzas tonight and had a good time, so it was worth the temporary shortage at this end, though it did require a harried trip to remedy. Others my have a pallet ratholed in their garage, but our cars go in, so I just make sure that my local Ace keeps it in stock, which they do just for me.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm in the rat holed pallet bunch.  Always be prepared.  Quit boy scouts as a tenderfoot.  Got 18 bags of RW in the garage.  Bought it up at 20% off.  Usually only keep 4 or 5 =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    20stone said:
    The funny thing is, I HAD a new bag, but gave it to a buddy who just bought an egg, and I didn't want him to be without. He banged out some pizzas tonight and had a good time, so it was worth the temporary shortage at this end, though it did require a harried trip to remedy. Others my have a pallet ratholed in their garage, but our cars go in, so I just make sure that my local Ace keeps it in stock, which they do just for me.
    I have no idea who you may be referring too...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yep...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,980
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have yet to see even one beer, box of wine or artfully crafted cocktail.
    Now it’s a party...

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,791
    Options
    Wishing I was there...you could turn this event into Butt Blast Brisket Camp type get together for sure
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,860
    Options
    Wishing I was there.  I paid for 1/6 of that pig. Apparently, because I’m not present I’m relegated to getting testicles and anus. And as much of a treat as that might be for someone like @SGH, I prefer more standard cuts...

So I bribed them with the gift of beer. We’ll see how it goes. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

That garage is indeed a wonder. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Little shoe leather in the dishwasher. Pig ears and brisket. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,980
    edited December 2017
    Options

Proscuitto number 2. See you December 2019. We are trying to do a couple of these a year now so we can have one every year. I hope they are good....
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,252
    Options

8 bells on which watch? 8 bells signified the end of a 4 hour watch, so did you guys start at 0000, 0400, 0800, 1200, 1600, or 2000?

On another note that is one seriously gorgeous garage. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:

8 bells on which watch? 8 bells signified the end of a 4 hour watch, so did you guys start at 0000, 0400, 0800, 1200, 1600, or 2000?

It’s badass. (Not mine) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:

0800-ish. We don’t run on military time around d here. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks like a great time fellas!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I can't believe 20stone is still rubbing it in Foghorn's face with the Allagash.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,860
    Options
    I can't believe 20stone is still rubbing it in Foghorn's face with the Allagash.
    I actually provided it. Since I can’t  be there I have to contribute something.  I figure the “drinking of Foghorn’s Curieaux” is now a tradition. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I actually provided it. Since I can’t  be there I have to contribute something.  I figure the “drinking of Foghorn’s Curieaux” is now a tradition. 
    ...and it is being observed. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    20stone said:
    Quite a day.  I’ll post a bit more when I’m not so beat down, but the fellas did some work today. Here are a few pics to give you some flavor. 

310 lbs of pork “feet up”, pulse 44 lbs of 44 Farms top round (to soak up some of the surplus fat) and a brisket (because brisket). 10 lbs of Dorper lamb got added to the mix later. 

Mangalitsa pigs are real butterballs. Here is a “NY strip” next to its back fat.  Fantastic fat and tons of it. 

The color of the meat is really more like tuna. Miles away from “the other white meat”

The fellas banging out Texas beef sausage.  We made 50 lbs of it to soak up some of the back fat.  Figuring out a recipe w/ @The Cen-Tex Smoker was fun the night before. This took 3 lbs of jalapeños and 120 cloves of garlic. A huge win. 

The Meat Locker in “fridge mode” for the weekend + four more lugs in coolers with sausage meat and cuts. 

The fellas crushing the brisket (killer - done in the dishwasher), test patties of the Texas beef sausage and @caliking’s bread. Utensils were not used. 

More wore work to be done tomorrow (lots of it) but so far so good

Man, I really hate that I'm not there. So jealous...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker