Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Grail Pastrami

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,015
    This right here folks is what makes this forum great. I'm inspired again. Thank you brother. 

I look at it more as an manic obsessive sh*t show from a guy who clearly has too much time on his hands, but if that's inspiration then so be it :lol:
    This required a really stupid and futile effort on somebody's part and you were just the guy to do it.

Great job and post.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    This right here folks is what makes this forum great. I'm inspired again. Thank you brother. 

I look at it more as an manic obsessive sh*t show from a guy who clearly has too much time on his hands, but if that's inspiration then so be it :lol:
    This required a really stupid and futile effort on somebody's part and you were just the guy to do it.

Great job and post.
    You nailed it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,060
    Flipping Bravo!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Great work, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  I better keep @20stonespice away from this, or she'll leave me for you. 

I did a much more half assed version with a flat a few months back (following Meathead, for the most part, but taking every shortcut because I had no business even thinking about it that weekend), and it turned out great. I can only imagine how awesome that tastes. 

Huzzah!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    I distinctly recall the noticeable absence of both @The Cen-Tex Smoker and said fabulous pastrami in Houston last weekend... and again this weekend. 

You could have at least sent the pastrami!!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I distinctly recall the noticeable absence of both @The Cen-Tex Smoker and said fabulous pastrami in Houston last weekend... and again this weekend. 

you just love me for my meat. Have fun this weekend. I'll be in the pool with an SRF brisky rolling smoke.
  • Foghorn said:

Says the guy spending the whole weekend in a garage cutting up a pig... 
  • Threw some of this on a charcuterie board yesterday for a crowd of about 10. It really held up well in the freezer. It was still really good and was a huge hit with everyone. Nice to see it was what I thought it was.

Guess I need to start on round 2. I have one little strip of burnt ends left. Those will be gone shortly. 
  • The last bits...

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Wow, amazing issues will. Very great cook. Are you referring to Pieous pizza down south?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CPARKTX said:
    Wow, amazing issues will. Very great cook. Are you referring to Pieous pizza down south?
    I am. It's very similar 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    caliking said:

you just love me for my meat. Have fun this weekend. I'll be in the pool with an SRF brisky rolling smoke.
    Ya knowz it! It's the reason I gave up chasing the brisket grail. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    On the shoulders of giants...

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Did you smoke it first?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    It's funny, just when you think the form is nothing but politics and **** jokes this gem comes around. Nice work my friend! Nice work!!! :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 20stone
    Did you smoke it first?
    Overnight with the AMazN smoker (in the egg - BGE content). 

I now have a bread project, a saurkraut project and a Russian dressing project on tap. I'm going to have to use store bought kraut tomorrow, but should have our own funky stuff next weekend. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,046
    No Swiss cheese project?   Pfffft.
    Not a felon
  • 20stone said:
    Did you smoke it first?
    Overnight with the AMazN smoker (in the egg - BGE content). 

I now have a bread project, a saurkraut project and a Russian dressing project on tap. I'm going to have to use store bought kraut tomorrow, but should have our own funky stuff next weekend. 
    Mine is going on the egg right now. I had to reread all of this to figure out what I did last time. 
  • 20stone
    Legume said:
    Dude, I was at Allied Kenco getting a fermenting jar for the kraut (and more sausage stuff), and I came across their cheese making section.....sooooooo tempted.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • I am a moron. Went to Central market to get the spices for the rub this morning. Get home and fresh grind all the spices together and rubbed the brisket. Got the egg settled in around 225 with some oak, put them on settled in to watch a little football and figure out what I'm going to do with the day . I had a nagging feeling that something was off. I went back through and read it all again then it hit me...I had forgotten to mix all the fresh ground spices with the salt and sugar to finish the rub! sh!t. I had a ton of spices left so I weighed them out and it was almost exactly half of what I made. So I ran out there, Pulled the briskets off the egg rinsed them off, added the salt and sugar to the spices and used almost exactly the amount of rub I had left. Lucky! Maybe a tablespoon left over. 

Anyhow, all is well now ad they are back in the egg getting some oak smoke until they darken up. Then in the bath for 30 hours.

• Legume
    20stone said:
    Legume said:
    Dude, I was at Allied Kenco getting a fermenting jar for the kraut (and more sausage stuff), and I came across their cheese making section.....sooooooo tempted.
    excellent, next round then.  TBH, I've heard you really need control of the milk source to do it right...
    Not a felon
  • Legume said:
    20stone said:
    Legume said:
    excellent, next round then.  TBH, I've heard you really need control of the milk source to do it right...
    Stop. Please. 
  • 20stone
    Legume said:
    20stone said:
    Legume said:
    Stop. Please. 
    Right?!

It's like I don't have a hard enough time without the encouragement. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Legume said:
    20stone said:
    Legume said:
    Stop. Please. 
    Right?!

It's like I don't have a hard enough time without the encouragement. 
    And you are rarely stroll these paths alone. 
  • Foghorn
    I only opened my computer because I had a feeling I just became part owner of a specialty breed milk cow...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    I only opened my computer because I had a feeling I just became part owner of a specialty breed milk cow...
    And don't forget, it will need a place to live
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    And don't forget, it will need a place to live
    I thought you recently identified a place near you.

(note: while on this thread and others it may seem like I'm pushing these over-the-top hair-brained 20stone driven projects, it should be noted that to best interpret my comments you need to think of them as being voiced by the sad, depressed robot from "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy")

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    You know, I'm just trying to think of others here.  It's for the good of the forum, good for the community.

btw, plenty of properties for sale in central Texas with caves
    Not a felon
  • Foghorn
    Legume said:
    You know, I'm just trying to think of others here.  It's for the good of the forum, good for the community.

btw, plenty of properties for sale in central Texas with caves
    If you were really thinking of others, you'd join forces with the rest of us who martyr ourselves (or at least our paychecks) for @20stone's amusement and the good of the forum.  

To date, the only thing we've decided NOT to buy as a group is land.

So, if you buy the property with a cave, I'll chip in for 1/7 (we'd be up one partner) of the cow and ongoing associated expenses.

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Very tempting @Foghorn (not really), but delaying retirement to 75 just doesn't have enough appeal for me. So far I've been able to avoid turning moderately expensive pursuits in to wallet crushing ones.  That's why you guys are so important, your dedication to this serves as both an incredible inspirational tale...and a dire warning.
    Not a felon