Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make a Roux. In the style of Dixie.

Options
13»

Comments

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    @SGH ,

Re: "I have one that I'm willing to bet that most folks have never heard of." 

What is it? You must always keep the students' attention or their minds will wander. 
    =)

One method that a relative has adopted is baking the flour until it reaches the color he wants. The gumbo was very good. 

I'm still with tradition and will continue to use flour and oil... for now.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Great thread about making roux. Good point on the aroma. It ain't ready until you hit the "nutty" stage. We don't make much gumbo around here due to lack of a good source for seafood, but we sure do love it. We do, however, make a lot of gravy. Always from scratch.
    There is nothing wrong with Chicken or Turkey gumbo (or duck or pheasant or rabbit...)
    NOLA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    At thanksgiving, I make my roux from the turkey fat.  I use a fat separator to make sure I have no H2O in the pan to cook the roux.  Once the roux is dark enough (I go with a medium for poultry gravy) then I add the pan drippings (sans the fat) and usually another pint of homemade poultry stock. ( I call it poultry stock because it could be a mixture of turkey and chicken bones, and maybe some duck and/or cornish game hens when i canned it)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    At thanksgiving, I make my roux from the turkey fat.  I use a fat separator to make sure I have no H2O in the pan to cook the roux.  Once the roux is dark enough (I go with a medium for poultry gravy) then I add the pan drippings (sans the fat) and usually another pint of homemade poultry stock. ( I call it poultry stock because it could be a mixture of turkey and chicken bones, and maybe some duck and/or cornish game hens when i canned it)
    that sounds awesome.  I love turkey gumbo after thanksgiving.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,770
    Options
    I'm bumping this as I have a roux question--Made my first "Roux to store" , never dove this , just do it as needed, made a roux to store in the fridge ( used bacon fat" came out great , didn't realize it would turn hard a a rock in the jar LoL , will it soften if i heat the jar? I see now why people use ice cube trays ---Many googelz searches can't find an answer, dont want to break the jar , don't want to ruin all that time spent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Warm up the fat.  The flour won't stick together if there's no water in that roux. 
    Options
    @SGH, I read the thread, one question:

Do I need to stir it?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    This thread is 5 years old!  In today’s climate shouldn’t this be renamed How to make a roux.  In the style of the Chicks ?
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Racist roux.  Cancel it.
    Memphis, TN
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    @SGH, I read the thread, one question:

Do I need to stir it?
    Lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Warm up the fat.  The flour won't stick together if there's no water in that roux. 
    Thanks Carey , pulled it out of the fridge and left it @room them and was manageable out of the jar … just bacon fat and flour 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Excellent post. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2021
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'm bumping this as I have a roux question--Made my first "Roux to store" , never dove this , just do it as needed, made a roux to store in the fridge ( used bacon fat" came out great , didn't realize it would turn hard a a rock in the jar LoL , will it soften if i heat the jar? I see now why people use ice cube trays ---Many googelz searches can't find an answer, dont want to break the jar , don't want to ruin all that time spent 
    At the end of the article, they have this tidbit:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/roux-recipe-23003997

RECIPE NOTES
    Make ahead: Roux can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 30 days, and will harden into a firm mass. To use, break off the desired amount and whisk directly into soups, sauces, and gravies until completely dissolved.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    Could have been darker... yet did make for a a happy tummy....
    Nothing wrong with a blonde roux. Some dishes are better with a lighter roux in my opinion. 
    On a separate note, great looking grub my friend 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SGH said:
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    Could have been darker... yet did make for a a happy tummy....
    Nothing wrong with a blonde roux. Some dishes are better with a lighter roux in my opinion. 
    On a separate note, great looking grub my friend 👍

Sometimes a brunette just won't due, and you want a little time with a blonde.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The blond roux is good for a seafood gumbo when you pull out all stops and use the expensive delicate proteins because the dark will overpower everything.