Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make a Roux. In the style of Dixie.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I thought I would share this simple but near insurmountable task for some folks. Making a great roux is simple and straightforward if you follow just a few simple rules. Yet I hear folks say all of the time that they just can't get it right for whatever reason or another.
Well my friends, if you like gumbo or most any other Cajun dish, making a great roux is a must. With the above said, here is how I make a medium and dark roux. I will cover a light or blonde roux later if anyone is interested. 
Roux is equal parts (by weight, not volume) of flour and fat. Some will argue that any starch can be used. This is true for the most part, but for that authentic Cajun taste, flour reigns supreme and has no equal. 
The fat, depending on final use of the roux can be butter, cooking oil or bacon grease. For gumbo or a roux that is going in a pressure cooker, peanut oil is the odds on favorite as it will hold up well. For light dishes, butter works just fine. 

Directions:
Heat oil over medium low heat. 
Sprinkle in a small amount of flour and start stirring. Once you start adding flour you can not stop stirring or you will end up with lumpy and bitter roux. 
Once the flour has blended in well, add more and keep stirring. Repeat this over and over until all of the flour is used. 
Once all of the flour is in, stir until you reach the desired color that you want. Remove from heat and throw in some chopped onions to stop the cooking process. The cold onions will stop the cooking. 

Useful tips:
Once you start adding flour, start stirring and do not stop until the roux is complete and removed from the heat.
To help prevent hot spots and scorching, use a heavy pan such as cast iron or carbon steel. Only the Roux Gods should attemp it with thin aluminum or SS pans.
Stir constantly. 
To stir, use a wooden spoon, not a whisk. A wooden spoon will get down into the corner crease of the pan. A whisk will not. No matter what any guru tries to tell you, a wooden spoon is far and away the superior stirring utensil when it comes to making roux. Save the whisk for cakes and such. The flour that the whisk leaves in the crease will inevitably scorch and turn your roux bitter. 
Stir constantly. 
Remember to add the flour in very small amounts at a time to prevent clumping. 
Stir constantly. 
When your roux reaches the desired color, you can throw in a handful of chopped onion and celery to stop the cooking process. If you don't, your roux will darken a little farther even after you remove it from the heat. 
And last but certainly not least, stir constantly. Do not stop stirring no matter what until the roux is complete. Not constantly stirring is the number one cause of scorched and/or bitter roux. Not stale flour or rancid oil as some would try to have you believe. 
A tell-tale sign that you are doing a good job is if the roux gives off a very strong peanut butter smell while you are cooking it. No joke, it will smell almost identical to peanut butter. For clarity, if it starts smelling like walnuts, stop cooking and throw it away. You have just scorched it and it will be bitter. No question of it. 
Remember that if the roux will be used for gumbo you want a dark roux for the most flavor. If the roux will be exposed to farther heavy cooking say in a pressure cooker recipe, then you want a lighter roux to prevent over cooking it. 

I hope that the above helps anyone who has struggled with making a perfect roux. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will gladly offer what I can. 

Oil and flour. Equal parts by weight, not volume. 

Medium roux. Just past the light or "blonde" stage.

Idea of thickness. If you notice the void in the roux, that's where I touched it with the spoon. I had time to sit the spoon down, pick up my phone, pull up the camera, and take a pic before the void closed. The roux is thicker than honey. 

Dark or Cajun roux. This is par excellent for gumbo. 

The above dark roux is the trade secret to NO style gumbo. Gumbo without it is just boiled seafood. Hope that y'all enjoy this post and find some of the info useful my friends. Now go make some gumbo ;)

A final note. For the best homemade gravy ever, use your roux as a base. It will blow away any store bought concoction out there. Trust me on this ones my friends. It's simply no comparison.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited January 2016
    In the style of dixie? More like in the style of France!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Why do I keep logging in right when you post a recipe? 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Why do I keep logging in right when you post a recipe? 
    I have that effect on people ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thank you for this @SGH I really want to expand to cooking cajun dishes but I'm the only one in the house that will eat them, so typically I resort to the boxed Zaterinns or Tony Catcherre stuff. (I know I didn't spell either correct but it's nearly midnight and I don't care to much.)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SGH
    In the style of dixie?

Absolutely Dixie style. Just good ole healthy oil and flour. 

More like in the style of France!

The French would would do something sac religious like water it down or thin it out
     ;) 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Thank you for this @SGH I really want to expand to cooking cajun dishes but I'm the only one in the house that will eat them, so typically I resort to the boxed Zaterinns or Tony Catcherre stuff. (I know I didn't spell either correct but it's nearly midnight and I don't care to much.)
    This is a cooking forum, not a spelling contest ;) My pleasure brother. If I can help you expand your Cajun cooking in any way, fell free to give me a shout. I will gladly share what little I know my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2016
    I toss the onions in before the celery.  The water in the celery inhibits some of the caramelization of the onions which gives it a nutty flavor that I really like.  Once the onions and roux have made themselves into a nice brown ball, I add the celery and bell peppers.

Also, it is perfectly acceptable to combine fats (i.e. use primarily vegetable oil but a tablespoon of bacon grease, etc), although that might be considered the advanced class.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    buzd504 said:
    I toss the onions in before the celery.  
    More often than not, I toss onions only in it. I'm using the vegetables to stop the cooking process only. Not to enhance or change the flavor. Of course there are exceptions to this. I have actually got decent enough at making roux that I can usually eyeball it and pull it early and let carry over finish it. Thus avoiding the vegetables all together. I suggested the vegetable trick to help folks out who do not have much experience making roux. It's a good trick to have up your sleeve. 

Status- Standing by.

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    You could have gone darker on that roux, baby!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • SGH
    apinion said:
    You could have gone darker on that roux, baby!

Nope. That roux was going in the pressure cooker for 35 minutes. It would have scorched. To go in a gumbo, I would have turned it almost black. You have to stop your roux at a certain point depending on what you are going to do with it to prevent over cooking it. A black roux can not stand up to 35 minutes under pressure without turning bitter. 

Status- Standing by.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Awesome. Rouxs have always been a great mystery to me. I shall take this wisdom you have provided with grea appreciation. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    So I want to make sure I've got this clear the trick is to not stir it constantly.....l kid of course. That's a great post and a good tip about the wooden spoon. Never thought about how much the whisk could be and is missing.   Thanks for the post. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SGH thanks for the tutorial. I don't often cook Cajun food but I've made boatloads of homemade gravy in my life. I can tell your advise rings true. I think I see a Cajun dish on the menu this weekend...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    We love our Cajun food down in these here parts -- the "Redneck Riviera" and if it's no trouble would like to know how you do your blonde roux -- very interesting.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    did i do it right, only gumbo ive ever eaten was in new england and it was mine =)

100_1678jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2016
    Awesome!  Thanks for sharing that.

How long does it take you to make a roux for a LARGE pot of Gumbo?

Whenever I make a soup, stew or sauce I make a huge pot because A) Why not?  and B ) I freeze most of it for a great home cooked meal on a later rushed day.  Or C) party time!  However, the roux takes me 30 minutes or more.  I keep the heat low to avoid scorching and for gumbo I usually go for a dark roux, the color of chocolate.

In any case, I agree, the results are world class.

Happened to have a picture of the progression of my last roux to add to this thread;

And here was a small bowl of the resulting gumbo.  I made this one for an Oktoberfest party and it was pulled pork, smoked brats and oysters.  The two porks were done on the Egg.  First time I'd ever done this combo of meat but it was great!

LBGE/Maryland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @SGH  I make my own roux for graves and sauces but use a preferred fat. Question for you.....why do you use oil instead of butter?

The gumbo looks outstanding by the way. a perfect meal for a cold night.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    @SGH  I make my own roux for graves and sauces but use a preferred fat. Question for you.....why do you use oil instead of butter?

The gumbo looks outstanding by the way. a perfect meal for a cold night.
    Not @SGH, but butter will make a richer roux, but you also run the risk of the milk solids "falling out" of the roux and breaking - particularly if you don't maintain temps (like when you add your cold vegetables).  This is more of an issue of you planning on chilling your roux and using it later (or some cooks prefer to add roux at the end to thicken).

It can also break later after you have cooled your gumbo, but I haven't seen that happen as often.
    NOLA
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Where is rest of the Gumbo recipe?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • SGH
    tfhanson said:
    Where is rest of the Gumbo recipe?
    This was for a roux only. A base for gumbo or cooking wild game. If anyone wants a gumbo recipe, I will gladly whip one up when time allows and post it. I used this roux for my fried/pressure cooked rabbit recipe. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Self-rising flour has leavening agents like sodium bicarbonate and some acid in it that can give the roux bitterness.
    Self-rising flour has leavening agents like sodium bicarbonate 
    There is some mighty long words in there my friend. I see that I'm going to have to invest in a dictionary if we remain friends ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    SGH said:
    There is some mighty long words in there my friend. I see that I'm going to have to invest in a dictionary if we remain friends ;)
    Sorry about that, my friend.  Let me rephrase that - self-rising flower has baking powder in it. ;)
    SGH said:
    Sorry about that, my friend.  Let me rephrase that - self-rising flower has baking powder in it. ;)
    Much better and much appreciated ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @nolaegghead Do you believe the baking powder contributes to the color of the roux in any way? I've read some about how pH changes affect the Maillard reaction. I'm not sure Maillard reactions occur in a liquid state. I know roux darkens just fine with regular flour - I'm just curious if you think it has any influence.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    edited January 2016
    SciAggie said:
    @nolaegghead Do you believe the baking powder contributes to the color of the roux in any way? 
    I know that it's just one man talking here, but I do not. Why? Because I can turn it light, blonde, medium, medium/dark, dark and extra dark without it being bitter at all. As such, I base my answer on what I have saw and did for over 40 years. Not what I read. Just my thoughts my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    @SciAggieThe malliard reaction likes an alkaline environment.  Baking powder is going to be neutral to acidic (acid added to react with the bicarbonate).  Take baking soda and cook hot on a baking sheet to make sodium carbonate.  That would help. (higher pH number is more alkaline)

BaseNormalitypH
    Sodium bicarbonate0.1 N8.4
    Sodium carbonate0.1 N11.6
    Sodium hydroxideN14.0
    Sodium hydroxide0.1 N13.0

@SciAggieThe malliard reaction likes an alkaline environment.  Baking powder is going to be neutral to acidic (acid added to react with the bicarbonate).  Take baking soda and cook hot on a baking sheet to make sodium carbonate.  That would help. (higher pH number is more alkaline)

BaseNormalitypH
    Sodium bicarbonate0.1 N8.4
    Sodium carbonate0.1 N11.6
    Sodium hydroxideN14.0
    Sodium hydroxide0.1 N13.0

Those long words are going to be the death of me ;) But I still love ya brother =)

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Question for you.....why do you use oil instead of butter? 
    I would think butter would burn, it has a pretty low smoke point.
    I've only made cajun roux once, and my recipe also said, never stop stirring, and med-lo heat!  It came out great, no scorching of the roux, but my wooden spoon WAS scorched and had to be tossed; it took a hell of a long time too.
    I used it to make a great jambalaya, but learned something about cajun cooking: there are so many ingredients, that even when you cut down a recipe, it makes WAY too much food for a single person, and being half seafood it doesn't keep/freeze well.  
    I order jambalaya every chance I get, but don't try cooking it anymore.

Has anyone tried making roux by roasting the dry flour in an oven?  I'd read that somewhere, but have never tried it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited January 2016
    @SGH but I did want to add one thing for you.  Most real Cajun cooks classify their roux not by color but by the number of beers they drink while constantly stirring to get desired color.  For a gumbo you might use a four beer roux dark brown while other dishes that would need a lighter one or two beer roux.   On a particularly thirsty day I made a six beer roux for a gumbo and that was my favorite ever.   This does require significant planning and long arms to keep stirring and be able to reach for that next beer at the same time
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95