Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make a Roux. In the style of Dixie.

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @SGH Do you take requests??? I'm really looking forward to sausage gravy and biscuits in the style of Dixie
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @SGH Do you take requests??? I'm really looking forward to sausage gravy and biscuits in the style of Dixie
    It's coming brother. Just give me time my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    Nice post!

Options
    paqman said:
    Nice post!
    Thanks brother paq, I really appreciate it my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    @nolaegghead Do you believe the baking powder contributes to the color of the roux in any way? 
    I know that it's just one man talking here, but I do not. Why? Because I can turn it light, blonde, medium, medium/dark, dark and extra dark without it being bitter at all. As such, I base my answer on what I have saw and did for over 40 years. Not what I read. Just my thoughts my friend.  
    That's why I asked someone who knows more chemistry than I do. Thanks for the response. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @SGH , thanks for the inspiration. I've been jonesing for some gumbo and your guidance will go a long way. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    Great post.  I'd love to see the full gumbo recipe.   I'm reading this trying to figure out how much roux i need to make for a big 'ol pot of Gumbo.   I got a new 7 quart Lodge CI dutch oven.  
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • thetrim
    Options
    @SGH but I did want to add one thing for you.  Most real Cajun cooks classify their roux not by color but by the number of beers they drink while constantly stirring to get desired color.  For a gumbo you might use a four beer roux dark brown while other dishes that would need a lighter one or two beer roux.   On a particularly thirsty day I made a six beer roux for a gumbo and that was my favorite ever.   This does require significant planning and long arms to keep stirring and be able to reach for that next beer at the same time
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Tbla said:
    I'm reading this trying to figure out how much roux i need to make for a big 'ol pot of Gumbo.  
    To make gumbo in the style of Dixie, a good general rule of thumb is 1/3 cup of roux per each gallon of gumbo. That's not exact though. Just depends on the consistency that you are looking for. However it's real close and a universal starting point for Dixie style gumbo my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This thread you post is really great for beginners Scottie, a true service to all of us brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • garyflintstone
    Options
    My tip for the best roux you will ever taste is white whole wheat flour. Must be white whole wheat.  Regular whole wheat has black specs that can be confused for burned roux.  Amazing flavor.  Thank me later.

Also cool with combo of celery, onion, and green pepper. ( I prefer red pepper). Also throw in some jalapeño.

For everything Cajun the bible is:
    Chef Paul Prudhomme's - Louisiana Kitchen Cookbook
    Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • SGH
    Options
    For everything Cajun the bible is:
    Chef Paul Prudhomme's - Louisiana Kitchen Cookbook
    He was a cooking God. I had the honor of meeting him about 10 years ago. He was a guest speaker at a event I attended with my wife in NO. Truly one of the greats.  

Status- Standing by.

• garyflintstone
    Options
    Also, the only way to make a roux is cast iron outside. To avoid fire alarms and stinking up your entire house
  • garyflintstone
    Options
    KPauls kitchen in NO is a religious experience.
  • BigGreenHog
    Options
    I first learned how to make a roux from Justin Wilson, I then branched out from that foundation and experimented.  I like to get my roux really dark for gumbo, but some people like a blonder roux better.  Chef Besh has a good recipe.  It is a must not to use rice in your gumbo.  Use tator salad and go more mustard base.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Excellent thread right here! This time a year my chili makin' and gumbo cookin' goes up. Lotta good info shared.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I make mine in the microwave. Very little stirring. Same proportions, but mix the oil and the flour all at once until smooth. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stir and hit for 4 more minutes. Stir and then evaluate; cook longer at shorter intervals if needed for the color you want. Much less effort for the same taste and consistency. I then dump the roux into my finely diced vegetables. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    jlsm said:
    At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I make mine in the microwave. Very little stirring. Same proportions, but mix the oil and the flour all at once until smooth. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stir and hit for 4 more minutes. Stir and then evaluate; cook longer at shorter intervals if needed for the color you want. Much less effort for the same taste and consistency. I then dump the roux into my finely diced vegetables. 
    Burn him. Burn him alive and cover him in microwaved roux.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • SGH
    Options
    jlsm said:
    At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I make mine in the microwave. 
    Brother, if it gives the results that you like, then no harm no foul. I'm one of those people that believes that the more you know the better. The microwave roux is a great trick to have up your sleeve. This thread has garnered far more attention than I thought it would. Folks seem to be intersted in roux. As such I'm going to do a very detailed post on the many different ways to make roux. I have one that I'm willing to bet that most folks have never heard of. 

Status- Standing by.

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    if microwave is heresy you really wont like my method.  consistent, quick, and no more burns

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Great thread about making roux. Good point on the aroma. It ain't ready until you hit the "nutty" stage. We don't make much gumbo around here due to lack of a good source for seafood, but we sure do love it. We do, however, make a lot of gravy. Always from scratch.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Always from scratch.
    This ^^^^^^ is a must sister. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Options
    I hear ya @SGH, if used a mix, my family would probably stone me. Scratch is easy once you master it. As a kid, I was the "gravy maker" most of the time. When my kid sister got big enough, I would pull a kitchen stool to the stove, giver her a kitchen mitt and the wooden spoon and tell her to keep stirring. I have to laugh now, because she arrives at family dinner get-togethers and grabs a wooden spoon for gravy duty. I only let her stir, then I take it from there, lol. I always wondered why she doesn't cook much.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • thetrim
    Options
    Dredger said:
    I hear ya @SGH, if used a mix, my family would probably stone me. Scratch is easy once you master it. As a kid, I was the "gravy maker" most of the time. When my kid sister got big enough, I would pull a kitchen stool to the stove, giver her a kitchen mitt and the wooden spoon and tell her to keep stirring. I have to laugh now, because she arrives at family dinner get-togethers and grabs a wooden spoon for gravy duty. I only let her stir, then I take it from there, lol. I always wondered why she doesn't cook much.
    That's really funny.  I'd love to have you start a gravy thread!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Dredger said:
    If she don't beat me to it, I'm working on a very in depth thread covering light roux, blonde roux, medium roux, dark roux, cake roux, and white and brown gravy. With that said and aside, I would love to see sister Dredgers take on it instead of mine.  

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    thetrim said:
    Dredger said:
    If she don't beat me to it, I'm working on a very in depth thread covering light roux, blonde roux, medium roux, dark roux, cake roux, and white and brown gravy. With that said and aside, I would love to see sister Dredgers take on it instead of mine.  
    I for one am very much looking forward to this thread!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    SGH said:
    thetrim said:
    Dredger said:
    I for one am very much looking forward to this thread!
    Me too!!  I have several botched attempts at gravy under my belt, much room to improve!  Calling Dr. @SGH .
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Dredger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My approach to gravy is much like what @SGH does. 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons oil (I use California Ranch extra virgin olive oil) and 1 cup liquid. I brown the flour on medium and then add the liquid (water or broth). I use pan drippings and augment with about 1/2 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon. The magic is stir, stir, stir until you smell a nutty aroma, then add the liquid. If you need 3 cups of gravy, multiply times 3. It's fool proof and idiot proof. The main thing is brown the flour properly and you will be rewarded with perfect gravy. Keep in mind that this is not a proper roux, it's just gravy. There is a vast difference and I'm sure @SGH will chime in with the details for that. A proper roux is, indeed, a work of art and well worth the time it takes to achieve it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC