Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    1% is the most you could theoretically save on tort reform.  Cost is high because we're paying for all the uninsured treatment that hospitals have to eat.  Sadly the republican party is being stupid about this.  @JohnInCarolina - good video.  Although I know all that stuff already because I I'm intellectually curious about issues.
    Very similar to all of us subsidizing Wal-Mart's workers (just an example, McDonalds and others are subsidized too).  We subsidize their profits because we refuse to raise minimum wages, or educate people, etc.
    This is all f*cking math.  There are no politics here.
    It's 7:24 and I'm too drunk to keep up with this sh!t so f*ck y'all. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2015
    @st¡ke Yes, was saying if we created a reality that forced everyone to carry insurance they would have. Responsible insurance carrying or cash paying population has to cover for those that knowingly choose to not carry insurance is wrong. When we get to those that truly cannot afford treatment, yes we are human, we need to take care of our fellow humans.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Math is hard for most people nola. Those same people who tend to be poor and complain about everyone else keeping them down

Buddy of mine (aforementioned chubby redneck) was telling me his city had a huge problem with people calling an ambulance, riding to the hospital, and then jumping out magically cured. Whereupon they'd go on upstairs to visit their relative or whomever. See, it was easier, speedier, and cheaper than riding the bus. 

That's why your ambulance ride costs $9k when you have insurance. 

Now, this was a number if years ago, and maybe they solved it. But this dude is a straight shooter. I don't believe it was apocryphal. 

And so that's what pisses me off. "Why does the gal durned gummint want me to get insurance?"  Why? Because you are sponging off us. Just like all the people you condemn for being on welfare or insert-gov't-program-here.

it's hypocrisy. 

I do think it sucks his company probably keeps him under 32 hours a week so he's not "full time", but that provision, and many others, make good business sense. And gee what's good for business can't be bad, right?  
  • nolaegghead
    What's good collectively for business is putting money in people's hands so they spend it.  Unless you're making platinum yacht bidets, we need to pay people a living wage and watch trickle up economics pump up the economy. 
    1% is the most you could theoretically save on tort reform.  Cost is high because we're paying for all the uninsured treatment that hospitals have to eat.  Sadly the republican party is being stupid about this.  @JohnInCarolina - good video.  Although I know all that stuff already because I I'm intellectually curious about issues.
    I don't think most people appreciate that the biggest factor is that we simply pay more for anything and everything than other countries, and that this is largely because the government doesn't negotiate strongly enough.

The problem is that $500B a year is essentially a massive jobs program in the US.  Were we to get rid of it, a lot of people would lose their shirts.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    st¡ke said:
    Math is hard for most people nola. Those same people who tend to be poor and complain about everyone else keeping them down

Buddy of mine (aforementioned chubby redneck) was telling me his city had a huge problem with people calling an ambulance, riding to the hospital, and then jumping out magically cured. Whereupon they'd go on upstairs to visit their relative or whomever. See, it was easier, speedier, and cheaper than riding the bus. 

Now, this was a number if years ago, and maybe they solved it. But this dude is a straight shooter. I don't believe it was apocryphal. 

And so that's what pisses me off. "Why does the gal durned gummint want me to get insurance?"  Why? Because you are sponging off us. Just like all the people you condemn for being on welfare or insert-gov't-program-here.

it's hypocrisy. 

I do think it sucks his company probably keeps him under 32 hours a week so he's not "full time", but that provision, and many others, make good business sense. And gee what's good for business can't be bad, right?  
    And if employers were not involved in the insurance process at all, we wouldn't have the silly 32 hour rule. Create a true competitive individual marketplace.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Well the 32 rule isn't so bad with Obamacare, it fills that gap, right?
    What happened to all the boobs?  You guys are boring me. Save this **** for the work week. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,685
    You ever feel like you are having a conversation with just yourself?
    Where's your lotion girl? 
  • st¡ke
    My bad. Forgot that the republican house voted in January to raise the threshold to 40 hours. 

Damn republicans. Improving Obamacare and making things harder for businesses, while increasing the number of people who can have coverage. 

Wait, are they for it now?  I can't keep track

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,974
    edited April 2015
    What happened to all the boobs?  You guys are boring me. Save this **** for the work week. 
    Ask and ye shall receive

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    st¡ke said:

it's hypocrisy. 

Was the fat redneck in the middle south?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• st¡ke
    edited April 2015
    He's that intelligent but severely obese ex-military guy, the one who knows how to take a boat out but forgets how to get it back in. 

The one who taught me the joys of a case of cheap beer while fishing. 

The one you snuggled with when you 'forgot' to make the bed in your room

• Little Steven
    I remember snuggling with the skinny dego. He did yoga. The redneck was your babe.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    I saw this on my tree today.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• st¡ke
    I have suppressed all associated memories. Except nearly sliding down that dew bedecked hillside into the lake. 
  • Little Steven
    I saved the beer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• st¡ke
    Thank christ you did. I would have too

Needed something to wash down the carry-on pork
  • Little Steven
    edited April 2015
    Hehehe. If I had carried it on it wouldn't have spent two days in the hangar

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @Ozzie_Isaac I can only hope you left it unmolested. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    edited April 2015
    @Ozzie_Isaac I can only hope you left it unmolested. 
    Splinters are not appealing.  I am not an arborist.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    @st¡ke People taking an ambulance to the hospital just to see family doesn't happen where I am anyway. Unless they stop in my er for pain meds first. Which is also very possible. But many people do take an ambulance to the er for a toothache or a sinus infection. As their 14 relatives follow them in a car. And guess who gets to pay for that. Yup we do. Where people with insurance who have to pay for **** wouldn't be in the er for a sinus infection. In most cases anyway. There is always some exceptions of course. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Little Steven
    @st¡ke People taking an ambulance to the hospital just to see family doesn't happen where I am anyway. Unless they stop in my er for pain meds first. Which is also very possible. But many people do take an ambulance to the er for a toothache or a sinus infection. As their 14 relatives follow them in a car. And guess who gets to pay for that. Yup we do. Where people with insurance who have to pay for **** wouldn't be in the er for a sinus infection. In most cases anyway. There is always some exceptions of course. 

Welcome to universal health care

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ryantt said:
    Lol. Too funny.
    ryantt said:
    HOW 'BOUT OBAMA CARE!!!  IT WORKS, BUT OBAMA DID IT, SO IT'S ILLOGICALLY HATED!!!!    (how 'bought that for a start?)

Now that's funny! Might look a little odd though.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • henapple said:
    The obamacare thing helped people and hurt people. My foreman pays cash for all his medical bills and yes he'd be screwed on a major medical problem. In steps obamacare to force him to get insurance or pay a penalty. Nothing has changed except the $400 per month bill he pays. A $6k deductible and only 60% after that.
    I don't get into politics much. They all lie and cheat so I don't waste my time. But I do think Obama Care helped some, but definitely hurt others. I doubt this was the intent. But since it's evident now, they need to go back and reevaluate the program instead of ignoring the problems it's caused. 
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • shannonlcorum
    shannonlcorum Posts: 200
    edited April 2015
    i think people overlook the fact the health insurance companies and hospital bills are ridiculous. Ever look at what the hospital charges and what they write off if you have insurance? $2000 for an MRI. But you insurance may pay $169. Then the hospital writes off the rest. I'm wondering what they get for doing so. Anyway, then you get Joe Schmo who doesn't have health insurance and gets a $2000 bill for the same MRI that your insurance only paid $169. Since Joe Schmo doesn't have insurance and can't pay this bill, it trickles down to the rest of us who do have insurance. There are a lot of angles to the underlying issues. It comes down to money and how big companies like hospitals and insurance can get more of it out of those of us who are already paying for everyone else who would rather sit around on welfare than get a f%*#ing job. Sorry, I'm in a bitchy mood and drank a screwdriver a short while ago. Now I'm just plain mean. 
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    I'm not a super rt winger but I believe in supporting Israel, I believe in giving a hand up vrs buying votes by hand-outs. As to immigration, I'm for the legal kind and not using it to curry a bigger voting base.  I'm for policies that help business- large and small.  Those evil "rich" people start businesses that  like "employ people". Less taxes for me to support those who won't work  because the benefits are better sitting on their butts.

i am probably too sober for this thread tonight... Lemme go fix that
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL