Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

1301630173018301930203022»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,104
    Tech question for you guys, regarding Lithium-Ion batteries.  
    I bought a set of a Milwaukee drill, impact driver, two batteries, and a charger years ago.  Used them on a project and they've been on a shelf ever since.
    Needed them today, both batts dead (no surprise) but after putting one on the charger, the charger started an alternating Red/Green flashing, which the manual said indicated a damaged battery.  Dropped the other one in, and in a couple minutes it too was flashing red/green.

Do Li-Io batts just give up the ghost after so many years?  Was surprised to see them both dead (or possibly my charger?)  I haven't used them much at all.  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,955
    @Botch - I have five Ryobi batteries most being the older larger ones the I use a lot. One I carry in my tote bag when I leave the house, used to air tires when my truck notifies me of low pressure issues. I also use them with drill drivers when I remove screws on my spa to do maintenance inside. Just had to replace two 30 Amp circuit breakers and 10 gauge wiring connecting to them to get the spa working again. Not sure how that happened, electrical gremlins are a bear to figure out after the fact.

Used the small batteries before Hurricane Milton came thru to make sure all the fence slats were fastened to the three stringers between each post- front side and back side. Offset on the back side so passing drivers only get a glimpse of back yard as they drive past. Didn't lose any slats during the hurricane.

I replaced all of my gas powered yard  machinery with Greenworks stuff so I have four of these:

I don't use them just for yard work as I got this to use during Hurricane power outages for things like lights or a CPAP (which, yes I do know is not recommended)

I do use the batteries a lot so they get charged regularly. That being said I still have a semi-regular maintenance schedule to recharge them anyway. Don't want to buy more of them unless one finally fails. How long are they still good? Who knows Greenworks actually recommends storing them at full charge. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,214
    Botch said:
    I bought a set of a Milwaukee drill, impact driver, two batteries, and a charger years ago.  Used them on a project and they've been on a shelf ever since.
    Needed them today, both batts dead (no surprise) but after putting one on the charger, the charger started an alternating Red/Green flashing, which the manual said indicated a damaged battery.  Dropped the other one in, and in a couple minutes it too was flashing red/green.

Do Li-Io batts just give up the ghost after so many years?  Was surprised to see them both dead (or possibly my charger?)  I haven't used them much at all.  
    Sounds dumb, but push the battery in. It will slightly snap in and may start charging. It took me a while to figure this out, I too had the flashing light symptom until I pushed harder and it snapped in and began charging. I was just resting it in and it wasn't making good enough contact
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,296
    Prepping for horses to colic.  60 deg temp swing is hard on them.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    poster said:
    Botch said:

Sounds dumb, but push the battery in. It will slightly snap in and may start charging. It took me a while to figure this out, I too had the flashing light symptom until I pushed harder and it snapped in and began charging. I was just resting it in and it wasn't making good enough contact
    Yup, that was it.  I was expecting to hear a click, but didn't, and pressed harder and harder until I was afraid I'd break something.  Just now I wiggled the battery back and forth, finally found the "sweet spot" and it clicked in okay; I'm assuming the other battery will now, too.
    Thanks @poster!  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 247
    Botch said:
    poster said:
    Botch said:

Yup, that was it.  I was expecting to hear a click, but didn't, and pressed harder and harder until I was afraid I'd break something.  Just now I wiggled the battery back and forth, finally found the "sweet spot" and it clicked in okay; I'm assuming the other battery will now, too.
    Thanks @poster!  
    Pro-tip for Li-Ion batteries:  they store for long periods quite well, but store best at 75% charge.  Not fully charged, not discharged.   Storing at either of these levels for long periods of time will decrease the life of the battery.  

I run LifeP0 batteries in many of my toys and I learned that the hard way...
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    Pizza oven
    2 Dogs Back to 3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Botch
    Botch said:
    poster said:
    Botch said:

Thanks @poster!  
    Just went downstairs and saw the first batt was fully charged.  Tried to click in the second battery and again I had to struggle with it!  I'm wondering if that batch of batts had some flashing issues in the plastic or something.  
    In the meantime I finished my project with my trusty Craftsman corded drill, gifted to me around age 17; I dug out an extension cord but I was able to plug the drill directly into the wall in my kitchen without the extension, d'Oh!  
    I'll shut up about batteries now 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,682
    Just make sure to clip in!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    lousubcap said:
    Just make sure to clip in!
    Lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,958
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,248
    CPFC1905 said:
    The only good stories that ever come out of the state of Kentucky involve either horses or brown water.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,506
    Sitting in the garage watching the Texas/Georgia game. First time in awhile I’ve been able to hang out out here. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,296
    Sitting in the garage watching the Texas/Georgia game. First time in awhile I’ve been able to hang out out here. 
    We had a 60 deg temp swing here.  Was 103 one day and the next night it was low 40s!  Crazy, but I am not complaining.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 330
    CPFC1905 said:
    The only good stories that ever come out of the state of Kentucky involve either horses or brown water.
    Better watch what you post, Brent is watching and taking notes.  Sure miss him!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,782
    Drinking coffee. Day 2 of the golf tournament I’m playing in. Tee off in a couple of hours, about to start stretching these aches and pains