Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    dbCooper said:
    looking at cleaning grime and light surface rust off an old pair of verniers. thinking white vinegar to start after the wd40 soak i started with. any ideas, they are 84 inch calipers and worth about 4k to replace so thats out....
    @fishlessman - Fluid Film is worth a look.  It won't help much with the grime removal, should be a great help with the surface rust and future protection.

the two things ive found locally so far is vinegar and citric acid, kinda prefer using the vinegar. theres some other concoction using molasses but that just sounds messy.  going to be interesting just using a 7 foot vernier. i really just need the area around the 60 inch mark readable but will probably clean the entire thing, will look into the fluid film for when its time to put it away. only way for me to calibrate it is with a smaller 50 inch to get the feel down mostly.......never thought i would use this thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,822
    edited June 11
    Trimming, seasoning and vac sealing a now 7lb prime packer. 

We’re hosting my son’s birthday on Friday, but the weather looks dicey, as there could be rain. In order to hedge my bets, I thought it best to prep it for sous vide, which if employed would need to start tomorrow night before a three hour stint in the gasser or oven on Friday. 

Whatever the forecast, I won’t be doing an overnight cook, as my Eggs are on the deck. Weather permitting, were I to opt for a purely-Egg cook, I’d need to cook quickly beginning early Friday morning to ensure adequate rest time before slicing and serving. 

Should the weather allow for all options, what say you? Egg all the way, or sous vide (with three hour finish with smoke) regardless?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,546
    That's a sweet trimmed out brisket.  I can't comment on using the SV but from all I have read the SV and then on the smoke yields a great result.
    However you get there is all that matters.  All will enjoy and it is far down the pecking order of importance compared to your son's party.  
    Sounds like a great day regardless of the weather audibles that may arrive.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    That's a sweet trimmed out brisket.  I can't comment on using the SV but from all I have read the SV and then on the smoke yields a great result.
    However you get there is all that matters.  All will enjoy and it is far down the pecking order of importance compared to your son's party.  
    Sounds like a great day regardless of the weather audibles that may arrive.  
    Thanks, Frank. 

The attendees consist of neighbours and their parents - none of whom ‘que, so I am lucky that the pressure is not really on (the singular bbq enthusiast, and a skilled one at that, is unable to make it). 

The SV/smoker combo does turn out some really fantastic results. Have done sections of brisket before, but never a packer this way. At first, I wasn’t sure I’d get the full brisket in the bag, but after the trim, it was no sweat. Just lucky that the size is right (and you know that saying about being lucky). 

Leaning towards popping it in the drink tomorrow night before a quick smoke on Friday and a prolonged hold before the party. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,611
    dbCooper said:
    looking at cleaning grime and light surface rust off an old pair of verniers. thinking white vinegar to start after the wd40 soak i started with. any ideas, they are 84 inch calipers and worth about 4k to replace so thats out....
    @fishlessman - Fluid Film is worth a look.  It won't help much with the grime removal, should be a great help with the surface rust and future protection.

the two things ive found locally so far is vinegar and citric acid, kinda prefer using the vinegar. theres some other concoction using molasses but that just sounds messy.  going to be interesting just using a 7 foot vernier. i really just need the area around the 60 inch mark readable but will probably clean the entire thing, will look into the fluid film for when its time to put it away. only way for me to calibrate it is with a smaller 50 inch to get the feel down mostly.......never thought i would use this thing
    Corrosion X worked great for me!  I used it to decorode electrical contacts.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,171

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,201
    dbCooper said:

How long are the jaws on this thing? Can 1 person even handle it?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    Power just went out, no foul weather. Eggs rollin hot, taco Tuesday will not be denied. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    poster said:
    dbCooper said:

Never used one this size. At least two people and some extra hands. Will get a pic tomorrow. It's old
    fukahwee maine

• Anyone watching the Hitler documentary on Netflix?  It's really interesting and crazy how if just a few things would have happened differently WW2 wouldn't have happened.  It starts with the Nuremburg trials with actual footage and jumps to Hitlers youth.  Really interesting if you are looking for something to watch. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,496
    Enjoying the best steaks we’ve had ever in Canada 🇨🇦 and a lovely Petite Syrah 

Nice. The smallest of Syrah’s. Beautiful pictures. 

That is the truth. Every summer I feel like it is time to quit. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Enjoying the best steaks we’ve had ever in Canada 🇨🇦 and a lovely Petite Syrah 

Not sure if the steak or the backdrop is prettier?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Rehearsing my conversation with the wife.  I am planning a trip for the fall.

• Battleborn

Not a soul in sight. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,037

Could be an awkward conversation if your wife isn’t a ginger.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    Why is everyone wearing green, is this an eggfest for gingers?
    Not a felon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,759

Somehow, I don’t think you’re a ginger…..but I can’t say I blame ya
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,243
    Cooking pork steaks 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025

Not a soul  guy in sight. 
    FTFY.        ;-D  o===8  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,546
    @ColtsFan - well played to save the point for your personal consumption.  That is a beautiful $$ shot!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,342

@Ozzie_Isaac - I am available during that time if you want a travel partner.  If yes, please provide crib notes from your conversation with wife.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,500

That’s a whole different level of crazy. I know, I’m married to one. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Battleborn
    @Ozzie_Isaac funny this came up on my Twitter timeline today. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @fishlessman - Evaporust ??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Ozzie_Isaac funny this came up on my Twitter timeline today. 
    Same slogan as the Bunny Ranch!  Isn’t it nice to have a friend?

• poster
    poster said:
    dbCooper said:

Never used one this size. At least two people and some extra hands. Will get a pic tomorrow. It's old
    any luck?
  • fishlessman
    poster said:
    poster said:
    dbCooper said:

any luck?

its soaking right now, one slide still frozen but think i can tap it loose. most of it cleaned up unusually well. will unwrap the vinegar soaked mummy wrap this afternoon. going to use barkeepers friend on the read area next then a fine stoning in a couple areas that need it. i think its going to work
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster said:
    poster said:
    dbCooper said:

any luck?

its soaking right now, one slide still frozen but think i can tap it loose. most of it cleaned up unusually well. will unwrap the vinegar soaked mummy wrap this afternoon. going to use barkeepers friend on the read area next then a fine stoning in a couple areas that need it. i think its going to work
    OK, looking forward to seeing a picture of this thing. Are you measuring something round?