Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,248
    Options
    @Mark_B_Good I use a butter knife to get under the membrane and then use a paper towel to grab the membrane to pull it off. The paper towel gives you a lot more grip.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,619
    Options

Almost as satisfying as mowing the lawn. Right @botch??
    As much as I love ribs .... thinking of having to pull off the membrane deters me ... most times, I struggle. WHAT is your trick good sir??
    Find a spot somewhere near the centre of the thinner side, with good spacing between the bones. Make a notch about 1/8" below the membrane, dig a finger into it and work your way around carefully. Once you get your whole finger tip under, grip tightly between the finger and thumb and lift, dig, rinse, repeat. Once you reach the other side you can grab the entire width and pull carefully away from the middle, one side at a time. If it tears, just find a new point of entry.

Gee, my head is spinning, good luck understanding my explanation :blush: And no comments from @botch and @GrateEggspectations please.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

You’re such a stick in the mud. 🙃
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,554
    Options
    1.  Let the ribs come up to room temperature first, I find it peels much easier.
    2.  Slide a butter knife under the membrane, on top of the bone, in about 1/2" (I used to insert between the bones, but on top is actually easier).  Do this on a rib in the center of the rack.
    3.  Now, using the end of the rib bone as a fulcrum, lever the tip of the knife upwards; this peels the membrane away about 3/4" in all directions.
    4.  Slide the knife in further along the bone until it stops, and repeat the levering; continue until you reach the other end of the bone.
    5.  Now you can slide your fingers all the way under the membrane (since you did this in the middle of the rack) and peel it off from both ends; I usually don't need a paper towel.  
    6.  Every tenth rack of ribs or so, you'll get a membrane that rips, tears, and comes off in tiny pieces.  I don't fight those anymore, I just cook that rack with the membrane left on.  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:
    6.  Every tenth rack of ribs or so, you'll get a membrane that rips, tears, and comes off in tiny pieces.  I don't fight those anymore, I just cook that rack with the membrane left on.  
    ^^^ This. I will work to remove a membrane at every opportunity. But if it’s obvious it’s going to be a PITA, I jump ship. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,107
    Options
    Trying to figure out why the membrane must be taken off. Seals the rib side of the meat for me. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 705
    Options
    I can see the reason to take it off. It adds a layer. You can add enough seasoning on either side but there's still a bite. I try to pull it off every time and don't worry if it doesn't come off with a butter knife and some effort. It'll still be good. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Trying to figure out why the membrane must be taken off. Seals the rib side of the meat for me. 
    I found two reasons.  Some people don't like the "gristle" feeling. I personally don't mind it. So, this is a lesser issue for me.

I'd say the bigger reason is better smoke penetration ... that membrane is like a seal to the meat ... removed, I do find smoke penetrates better from both sides (top and bottom).  Maybe a refinement, but if it's easy to take the membrane off, I'll do it.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,435
    Options
    Wife's car is done. 2009 Buick enclave. I wasn't in it but I assume the timing chain went.  We knew it was stretched. Hence the check engine light.  But it has some transmission issues too. Also steering problems. So I wasn't going to fix any of it.  Now we are going to be car shopping. I hate car shopping.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wife's car is done. 2009 Buick enclave. I wasn't in it but I assume the timing chain went.  We knew it was stretched. Hence the check engine light.  But it has some transmission issues too. Also steering problems. So I wasn't going to fix any of it.  Now we are going to be car shopping. I hate car shopping.  
    So will you be going gas, hybrid, or electric? 🙃
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,248
    edited April 30
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    So will you be going gas, hybrid, or electric? 🙃
    Probably a bus 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    Crazy bus crazy bus
    Rising on a crazy bus
    Riding up riding down
    Driven by a funny clown
    Wacky goony goofy spoony
    High as a plane or a balloony
    Sloppy sloopy gloppy gloopy
    Happy happy loopy loopy

Dopey doppy screw a looey
    Gooey chewy fooey dewey
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Absolutely busalooey
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    From Arthur on PBS when my kids were young. I probably butchered it, just going from memory. I always thought it was funny as hell but went over my young kids heads. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options
    Sitting at ENT, just had lidocaine sprayed in my sinuses.  Fun times.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,474
    Options
    Range day. 

It’s been my experience that most LEO guys don’t spend enough time on the range. That’s just been my personal experiences at our 1000 yard range 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,377
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Range day. 

It’s been my experience that most LEO guys don’t spend enough time on the range. That’s just been my personal experiences at our 1000 yard range 
    Thank you for your service. 

While I don’t disagree with you at all, there are several factors as to why. Most departments don’t have the funding to put it into firearms training. While I subscribe to the thought that to be proficient in something, you have to put your own time and money into it. 

I would be more concerned with the lack of physical combative training than firearm shooting proficiency, but that’s just me. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Range day. 

While I don’t disagree with you at all, there are several factors as to why. Most departments don’t have the funding to put it into firearms training. While I subscribe to the thought that to be proficient in something, you have to put your own time and money into it. 

I would be more concerned with the lack of physical combative training than firearm shooting proficiency, but that’s just me. 
    Wasn’t a knock on you, your profession or to your service to this country. I noticed your friends in the background in the pit shooting silhouettes. Mere observation. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,880
    Options

Excitement is being turned up to 11 in the PL,  well certainly a strong 8 - as we turn on to the final lap with just three game weeks left.  But, elsewhere we see that Leicester will be back in the PL next season, promoted from Championship replacing Sheffield Utd who were relegated last weekend.  The Foxes, those of the myth busting PL title win in 2015/16, will return facing sanctions for financial issues and shorn of talent as they must sell to balance the books, or face more sanctions. Has all the fun gone out the game? 

We need to get a move on as we go early this week

Friday

Luton v Everton, this really is the Hatters’ last chance to stave off their demise. This game is winnable as the Toffees are now safe themselves, but have been in good form whilst their hosts haven’t. 2-1 on the basis it keeps things fun at the bottom.

Saturday

Arsenal v Bournemouth, as much fun as it has been for the Cherries recently the Gunners are different gravy right now and at home they will want to nail down another 3 points to keep their single hand on the title.  2-0

Brentford v Fulham, futile match and by virtue of being very close neighbours the carbon cost is relatively low too. 1-1

Burnley v Newcastle, the Clarets are also in the last-chance saloon and while Toon have not been compelling this should be a box-ticking exercise of an away win.  There is a speck of hope in that the hosts have been in better form and ground out 7 points in their last 6 games, but really only a win is good enough and that feels very unlikely. 1-3

Sheff Utd v Forest, the Blades are down and that sometime means liberation and a last hurrah as to all intents and purposes there’s no pressure. A home win is not totally beyond the realms of possibility and would keep the relegation dog-fight stoked. 1-0 

Man City v Wolves, the Citeh remain imperious and despite their second place they do feel to hold the title destiny in their hands.  Routine 3-0

Sunday

Brighton v Aston Villa, the filthy Seagulls have been gloriously dismal for several weeks and all the talk is about when the manager departs.  Nice. Villa still need to win games to see off competition from Spurs for the lucrative 4th place and entry to the Champions League.  Not a foregone conclusion but recent form screams an away win. 0-2

Chelsea v West Ham, currently in the obscurity of 8th and 9th place and not what wither envisaged back in August.  The Hammers need to transition, Chelsea need to grow a set and get on with it.  Could turn out to be a decent match, but don’t postpone any plans to watch it. 2-1

Liverpool v Spurs, very hard to see the Reds not setting in 3rd, come the reckoning.  All is not super-groovy for Big Jurgy as his tenure ebbs away. Meh, life goes on.  Spurs have lost their last two which means they will eschew all sense and win this handsomely. 1-3

Monday

Palace v Man Utd. and finally we hit the big one. Well last one, certainly. The mighty Eagles are altogether not what a volatile Man Utd need right now.  Already six points off a European spot they have to pick up all the points they can, or - perhaps the resigned malaise has set in already with all the talk about the entire squad being available for sale. Fickle bunch are footballers and they don’t react well to shade upon their ego.  And Palace are right in the groove. 2-0

Stay strong my friends, nearly there.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,116
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - While football (soccer?) is not my thing, I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate your handicaps and commentary.
    That said, there is disappointment in the silence regarding the current World Snooker Championship.  By all reasonable accounts a much superior sport when skill and intellect are considered.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    Options
    Ooni is releasing a new oven - the Koda 2 Max. It's a dual zone 24" gas  oven.
    Once can enter for a chance to win a free oven.
    https://ooni.com/pages/explore-koda-2-max

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,377
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Range day. 

Wasn’t a knock on you, your profession or to your service to this country. I noticed your friends in the background in the pit shooting silhouettes. Mere observation. 
    Trust me, I didn’t take it as knock at all. Like I said a whole heartedly agree with you. Sometimes I need to be a little snarky. 

Luckily, I work for a department that takes training seriously. We at least get to shoot on department time and with department ammo quarterly. It’s not enough, but it is significantly better than 99% of the departments around the country. That is in addition to all the reality based trainings, defensive tactics and search and seizure training that we get. I believe we are the best agency in the nation. 

However, admittedly, people in my profession treat this job as a job. When if you are committed to the reality of job, you have to know that you have to spend time and money to face the reality of power and sacrifice you have to make. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,880
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @CPFC1905 - While football (soccer?) is not my thing, I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate your handicaps and commentary.
    That said, there is disappointment in the silence regarding the current World Snooker Championship.  By all reasonable accounts a much superior sport when skill and intellect are considered.
    I grew up when snooker was quite literally the only thing on TV and snookerists were absolute rock stars in many regards.  
    It’s just not the same now they aren’t smoking a pack of 20 per match and sinking several pints a frame. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Listening to the brrrrrrrrp of a hammer drill as it chisels out the tile in the bathroom. 3 hours in on demo and they’re almost thru. A whopping 90 sq feet. Repair and build back will start on Monday
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,116
    Options
    Aldi had bee houses in their "one time only" aisle.  Decided to give one a try.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    They work. You’ll get bees, wasps, etc
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options
    Watching Poor Things.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options
    Watching Poor Things.
    This movie is a friggin trip.  Perhaps literally.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike