Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,058
    I thought y’all would appreciate my luxurious sleeping quarters here in Oberwolfach:

Kwitcherbitchin', there's probably naked boobies on the tv.   =) 

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Botch

The South Dakota State University Jackrabbits (my alma mater) just won the MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) national championship, so Yay, and stuff.  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Ugh.

Just sent tenant a 7 day pay or leave notice. Hate this part of the job. This is a bricks and mortar and not a campsite. 

For future, I may retain a property management co. to put a layer in between. I'm too compassionate/understanding. 

With campsites I have no issues calling the sheriff and smile as instigators depart. 

With a house, it's a different feel. I like these people quite a bit but can't be late on rent month after month. ....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Sucks. A lot of long term rental owners enjoy the use of a property management company for this and many other reasons. The 10% is worth it
  • kl8ton
    ColbyLang said:
    Sucks. A lot of long term rental owners enjoy the use of a property management company for this and many other reasons. The 10% is worth it
    I can't like AND agree.... But, both. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,636
    kl8ton said:
    Ugh.

Just sent tenant a 7 day pay or leave notice. Hate this part of the job. This is a bricks and mortar and not a campsite. 

For future, I may retain a property management co. to put a layer in between. I'm too compassionate/understanding. 

With campsites I have no issues calling the sheriff and smile as instigators depart. 

With a house, it's a different feel. I like these people quite a bit but can't be late on rent month after month. ....
    My parents own a rental property adjacent to their own. The current tenants have been there at least 6 years. They have an excellent income but grown kids that mooch. They are frequently late but have always managed to come up with the rent by the end of the month. Unlike previous tenants they take care of the property, no hot pots on the counter, no flooded bathrooms over the laminate flooring, no infestations of German Cockroaches. We tried to sell them the house but their credit is trash. Btw all of those things were done by previous tenants.
  • Botch
    kl8ton said:
    Ugh.

I accepted a job offer to act as a property manager for a rental in Albuquerque, for $50/mo (just collect the rent, and get things fixed when something broke).  2nd-worst decision of my life.  HOW do home subsystems manage to fail catastrophically on the Thursday evening before every three-day weekend on the calendar!?!?!?  &%^$#!!!
    And that's not even considering "artisan jeweler" renters trying to pay the rent with a "40-lb chunk of raw torquoise", or a hispanic, well-entrenched network of fake "prior landlords", or drug dealers, or... &%^$#!!!
    I've had a couple coworkers over my career who became quite wealthy by buying/renting properties, but it takes a certain personality strength, that I definitely don't have.  Never, ever again.  

• kl8ton
    Botch said:
    kl8ton said:
    Ugh.

I accepted a job offer to act as a property manager for a rental in Albuquerque, for $50/mo (just collect the rent, and get things fixed when something broke).  2nd-worst decision of my life.  HOW do home subsystems manage to fail catastrophically on the Thursday evening before every three-day weekend on the calendar!?!?!?  &%^$#!!!
    And that's not even considering "artisan jeweler" renters trying to pay the rent with a "40-lb chunk of raw torquoise", or a hispanic, well-entrenched network of fake "prior landlords", or drug dealers, or... &%^$#!!!
    I've had a couple coworkers over my career who became quite wealthy by buying/renting properties, but it takes a certain personality strength, that I definitely don't have.  Never, ever again.  
    Yes. Any problem I've ever had had taken place over a holiday weekend. $$$$$$$$$$$

Luckily I found a place to call. 1/3 of the price of the sucky company I've had to rely on in the past. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Botch said:
    kl8ton said:
    Ugh.

I absolutely live for Botch stories. Thank you so much. 

P.S. Your SDSU Jackrabbits won the FCS national championship, not the MVC National Championship (also they lost to my Alma Mater, Sam Houston State in the 2021 Championship). 

Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    edited January 8
    Battleborn said:
    P.S. Your SDSU Jackrabbits won the FCS national championship, not the MVC National Championship (also they lost to my Alma Mater, Sam Houston State in the 2021 Championship). 
    Thanks for the correction; I asked Siri what the conference was but I guess she was wrong (what  is FCS, Farmland Conference, Starving?)  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Botch said:
    Battleborn said:
    Thanks for the correction; I asked Siri what the conference was but I guess she was wrong (what  is FCS, Farmland Conference, Starving?)  
    FCS is the Football Championship Series. Formally Division 1-AA. The Ol’ Jackrabbits play in the MVC, which is within the FCS. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,812
    Botch said:
    Battleborn said:
    In your defense, the MVC champion has been and almost always will be the front runner for the FCS national championship each year. SDSU at minus-12.5 was even easier money than Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,157
    Botch said:
    I thought y’all would appreciate my luxurious sleeping quarters here in Oberwolfach:

Kwitcherbitchin', there's probably naked boobies on the tv.   =) 
    Botch, where do you see a TV in this room?  I promise you, there are no TVs in this entire facility.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    The #MathMonk
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    first snowstorm down....19 inches.....debating if i should shovel the walkway
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    MasterC said:
    In the beginning there was 

Five hours later sitting still at 168°

There still might be enough time for me to make it before supper!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton

Laptop screen and keyboard replacement for the youngest. Thanks HP for attaching EVERYTHING to to the keyboard. I know that manufacturing methods change all the time. When I was in IT, we were pretty much a Dell shop. A few screws thru the bottom plastics would release the keyboard, leaving everything else intact. 

Fun project!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,636
    I had a refrigerator delivered to day . Despite paying for installation and haul away I am going to have to haul it off myself and attach the water line to the fridge. They said they don’t touch copper line and my existing fridge is 3/4 inch to wide to carry out. Crickets when I said Sears carried it in 21 years ago. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    Perhaps the installers attached the doors after getting the fridge into the kitchen.  Went thru a kitchen remodel several years ago requiring the fridge to be moved into another room-yep, removed the doors and executed the move.  Fortunately that was a side-by-side.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    edited January 9
    Replaced the furnace power supply switch with a switched outlet and a pig tail.

Tested OK with 100ft cord through the pool noodle from the generator.

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    Replaced the furnace power supply switch with a switched outlet and a pig tail.

Tested OK with 100ft cord through the pool noodle from the generator.

I like all the prepping you do.  I usually wait till chaos has ensued before I begin figuring anything out.  Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Canugghead
    edited January 9
    Learned both switch conversion and pool noodle hacks from the interwebz, I also can't think under stress hence all the prep  :)
    edit: that was a 50footer, not 100!
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    Learned both switch conversion and pool noodle hacks from the interwebz, I also can't think under stress hence all the prep  :)
    We had the furnace and well pump on pig tails at my old house. It came in handy more than once. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    have those pool noodles insulating a grey water line outside for the washer and wrapped on the stainless railing on the boat for lure storage. darn things come in handy.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    We had the furnace and well pump on pig tails at my old house. It came in handy more than once. 
    Smart move. Wish I did this instead of installing a gas fireplace thinking it could be handy for emergency, never needed it in 30+ years. Live and learn  :)
    canuckland
  • kl8ton

Had a visitor while grilling tonight. 
    Grand Rapids MI