Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    I didn’t realize our neighbors across the pond were so terrified of geese.  What’s that about, @CPFC1905 ?
    I'm glad you asked.
    There's a few of things I'd add,  
    1) why was the Brit sample size over 60% bigger,
    2) 'unarmed' to us suggests someone has had an unfortunate accident with their upper set of limbs - or 'cricket tools' as we call them, 
    3) speaking in very general terms here on behalf of my nation;  we don't tend to fight animals so perhaps you should assume a lower degree of confidence?  I appreciate in the emerging, fledgling nations across the globe that such entertainment is more common.  We have cricket. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • found this on google, must cause the brits nightmares

Every day each goose leaves abundant feathers and 2-4 pounds of excrement, causing leaks and rooftop damage from clogged drains and ponding water. Their sharp hind nail makes punctures upon landing, ruining the integrity of the roofing membrane.

They know that the people of that country love roast goose for Christmas.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,206
    CPFC1905 said:
    I didn’t realize our neighbors across the pond were so terrified of geese.  What’s that about, @CPFC1905 ?
    I'm glad you asked.
    2) 'unarmed' to us suggests someone has had an unfortunate accident with their upper set of limbs - or 'cricket tools' as we call them, 
    3) speaking in very general terms here on behalf of my nation;  we don't tend to fight animals so perhaps you should assume a lower degree of confidence?  I appreciate in the emerging, fledgling nations across the globe that such entertainment is more common.  We have cricket. 
    Probably the best response of the week or maybe month right there
  • found this on google, must cause the brits nightmares

Every day each goose leaves abundant feathers and 2-4 pounds of excrement, causing leaks and rooftop damage from clogged drains and ponding water. Their sharp hind nail makes punctures upon landing, ruining the integrity of the roofing membrane.

What is it with Brits and roofs?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    I wonder what the blood alcohol level was of the respondents for the last dozen or so animals.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905 said:
    I'm glad you asked.
    1) I think you just have a lot more people who are unemployed and have nothing better to do than to respond to a survey about fighting various animals.  
    2) Do a lot of these "unfortunate accidents" arise during encounters with geese?
    3) Well, on our side, we tend not to fight anything without our favorite hand cannon readily available, so I'm not sure your analysis here really holds up.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,060
    "Thousands of people die every year in goose attacks in the UK, they're more dangerous than assault rifles"

-Wayne LaPierre
    Not a felon
  • CPFC1905
    Geese don’t kill people. Poulets do. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059

"deer"  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CPFC1905
    Recent news footage from the UK,  there.   Judging by the shape of the outcrops, and angle of that chaps horns on his headgear, I'd say just north of London - maybe Watford?  That's about where civilisation ends. 
  • HeavyG
    Botch said:

"deer"  
    "The plural of deer is deer. This word is an irregular plural noun The noun deer is both the singular and the plural They saw one deer or They saw two million deer Deer is the preferred plural form of deer, although deers (rarely used) is also an accepted plural.Sep 11, 2016"

Pro tip: If you are playing Scrabble and someone plays "deers" do not challenge them. "Deers" is an acceptable word in both the CSW/SOWPODS (international) and US tournament play words lists. Conversely, as most folks aren't aware that "deers" is an acceptable plural for "deer" feel free to play it and just wait for them to challenge you. Be ready to gloat!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

"deer"  
    "The plural of deer is deer. This word is an irregular plural noun The noun deer is both the singular and the plural They saw one deer or They saw two million deer Deer is the preferred plural form of deer, although deers (rarely used) is also an accepted plural.Sep 11, 2016"

Pro tip: If you are playing Scrabble and someone plays "deers" do not challenge them. "Deers" is an acceptable word in both the CSW/SOWPODS (international) and US tournament play words lists. Conversely, as most folks aren't aware that "deers" is an acceptable plural for "deer" feel free to play it and just wait for them to challenge you. Be ready to gloat!

What in the hell is wrong with you?
  • fishlessman
    dear and dears works too, you can accidentally shoot two dears =)
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,060
    Where are all the good guys with a goose?
    Not a felon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    edited November 2023
    Speaking of Goose.... incredible jam band. I highly recommend them. 

https://youtu.be/XuSvIe1z47E?si=nMOiwFX9CasXtNo1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

"deer"  

What in the hell is wrong with you?
    I wish I knew.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,019
    ... Flying home after 12 days on the road at 3 different professional meetings...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited November 2023
    Trying to figure out my health insurance situation.

Between doctors, hospitals, medicine, primary care this is a dang headache.  Didn't realize how nice the employer provided healthcare was.

We could really use a nice single payer type system.  Not only do I need to find a company, I need to also sort through all of their individual plans and caveats.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    Trying to figure out my health insurance situation.

Between doctors, hospitals, medicine, primary care this is a dang headache.  Didn't realize how nice the employer provided healthcare was.

We could really use a nice single payer type system.  Not only do I need to find a company, I need to also sort through all of their individual plans and caveats.
    It's like playing 3card monti, except they are playing with more than three cards. Call out their bluffs, lie when needed,ask for three way phone calls when things don't seem right, get the billing office to give you a quote and hold them too it(even if you have to sit there all day). Had a cat scan this summer that was quoted 785, turned into 2500, I pay you now,785, or I don't pay you, how does the bill go up when the doctor has not even looked at it. You are mostly not dealing with the doctors, outside acting businesses own most of these places now. They will deny you a med even if the chapter med costs more with routine blood tests. There routine is to deny deny deny. My brother was covered for an ankle replacement, then six months later covered for the other ankle, then the second one was denied a few months later, then the first one was denied. Somewhere around a half million. Insurance will eventually cover it according to the surgeon. Ins has gone insane with health care. Looking at my blue cross, bills are denied maybe  3times on average before they pay up
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Working for hospitals is also fun, don't expect to be paid till they need you again
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Foghorn said:
    That probably won't happen in our lifetimes.  Too many entities have too much at stake to let it happen.
    See my comment above.  I've spent the last 4 days with AMA leadership.

Currently, our "system" costs 60% more than the 2nd most expensive system in the world.  It is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US.  It is ranked somewhere between 23rd and 37th best in the world depending on which rating system you use.  The New York Yankees wouldn't settle for not being in the top 20 when they spend more than anybody else (or Texas A&M apparently), but for some reason we do.  

The various single payer systems around the world that outperform ours all have their problems and frankly they may not be better than many of the employer-sponsored plans that are available in the US, but they do provide access for all and they don't cause bankruptcy if you get appendicitis.  

However, the more I learn, the more I think that it is going to take a total economic collapse to get us to reform our health care system.  We're definitely headed in that direction, looking at the national debt, the rising bankruptcies, home insurers pulling out of many areas because they can't make money in those locations, etc.  But our politicians are not going to do what a prudent person would do - recognize the issues, tell the truth to their constituents, and start taking steps to address them - because that would cause some pain to their voters and they won't get re-elected.  And that is the only endpoint our politicians care about - not "what is best for our country?"
    I agree with your entire post, except the part I bolded.  
    It's not their voters that will feel pain, it's their campaign funders (Big Pharma, the AMA, the insurance industry, and the hospital owners).  Once their own money streams are threatened, campaign funds increase to already-purchased congressmen and right-wing "news" sources, and the actual VOTERS are misled.  

If rank-and-file voters knew how much better, and cheaper, their health care would be if we went the way of all other 1st-World countries, this problem could be solved within 3 election cycles.  But, as you stated, it won't happen in our lifetimes.  

I got into a couple extremely violent arguments on two other forums about public vs private healthcare.  Like all other military retirees here, we know that Government-run health care CAN run much less expensive and more efficiently (just use the DoD model, NOT the VA model; there's a huge disparity there...).  One guy on my audiophile forum, who was very high up in the foodchain (audio/tech), wealthy,  got caught up in some lies and lost a couple jobs/chairmanships, had to do manual labor, was badly injured (couldn't work anymore and no health care) got into a violent fight with a high-ranking engineer in Canada, who simply stated he wouldn't be in that trouble if the US had public healthcare.  There was a hideous screaming match, which pretty much destroyed that forum, and audio/tech guy's last post was from his phone linked into a cafeteria wifi, he was living in his car and had lost everything.  That was three years ago; nobody knows where he is anymore.  To the end, he kept insisting HE was right.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    Just added up my yearly insurance costs, just under $30k.  All for a product I hope to never need, but must carry. (Except my umbrella, I carry that because I want to protect my assets).

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• One problem in the US is how much you have to pay if your insurance doesn’t cover a particular test, procedure, or drug compared to what the insurance company pays if they do. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,602
    @Foghorn - thanks for your assessment coming from one  who is deeply in "the system and processes" albeit doing the serious surgeon work.  Until the stakeholders (well above the paying public) feel the pain to change (and to your point it will have to be a draconian impact) then we will continue to be beholden to the industry's big lobbyists.  
    Nothing original here, "Just follow the $$."  that's the driver in the end game, at least as I see it, well on the fringes. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 421
    Just added up my yearly insurance costs, just under $30k.  All for a product I hope to never need, but must carry. (Except my umbrella, I carry that because I want to protect my assets).
    Insurance brokers, here anyway, make a decent living helping you to save money. Before Obama Care, my broker advised me to change insurance companies every few years. She said that if I didn't, they'd assume I couldn't, and would continue raising premiums. Probably a lot different now, though. although she's still in the business and still doing well.
    The medical broker was a different person than the regular insurance agent.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Botch
    Insurance brokers, here anyway, make a decent living helping you to save money. Before Obama Care, my broker advised me to change insurance companies every few years. She said that if I didn't, they'd assume I couldn't, and would continue raising premiums.
    This sounds very similar to the local cable/satellite companies.  Hmmm.
    Apologies for the inappropriate embedded quotes, this particular software is hard to work with.*

• Botch
    edited November 2023
    * Hopefully this posts immediately after my last post above.

My neighborhood has been inundated with installation vehicles these last couple weeks, we're actually getting fiber Intranetz, yay!  I signed up, supposedly will be getting more than twice the speed I have now at less than 1/3rd the price.  I know it won't last long, but I'll take it.  

Also saw an article on the web this afternoon, about how the net services are beginning to bundle with one elevated price, just like cable used to do.  Sigh.   

• Corv said:
    Insurance brokers, here anyway, make a decent living helping you to save money. Before Obama Care, my broker advised me to change insurance companies every few years. She said that if I didn't, they'd assume I couldn't, and would continue raising premiums. Probably a lot different now, though. although she's still in the business and still doing well.
    The medical broker was a different person than the regular insurance agent.

I agree with this. Its a focking pain in the ass but usually worth the effort.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.