Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,628
    Options
    What a disaster.  Lahaina wiped out.
    The Pioneer Inn is gone.

Reads like the banyan tree will survive:
    County officials said it “looks burned” after the Maui fires, but the roots may still be healthy. Amid the charred ruins of Lahaina, one of the historic town's cherished landmarks is still standing: a 150-year-old banyan tree.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,375
    Options
    I'm quite stunned by the death toll in Maui. Don't understand how/why so many died.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,125
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm quite stunned by the death toll in Maui. Don't understand how/why so many died.
    Drought conditions meant there was plenty of dry fuel.  That combined with a decent wind around the time the fires started meant folks just didn’t have enough time to get out of the way.  Not all that different from the Camp Fire in California a few years ago.

I suspect some folks were quite lucky that if they ran far enough in one direction they got to the ocean.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,260
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I was there a few weeks ago and commented to my wife that it looked like southern Arizona.  The West side of the island was incredibly dry.  Everything was brown and crispy.  Lahaina was very crowded and the housing around it was very dense.

One video I saw, I thought was sped up because the smoke and flames looked to be going like 2.5x speed.  However, the person was narrating and when they panned and you saw people you realized it was realtime.  Very scary situation.

Tight neighborhoods with very very narrow streets and poor access.  Very dry conditions, and 60+ mph winds.  The fire literally tore through there.  It seems like they had no early warning systems and all communications broke down quickly.  People didn't know it was that bad, and by then, too late.  Very very sad.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,575
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    I suspect some folks were quite lucky that if they ran far enough in one direction they got to the ocean.
    PBS interviewed one lady who did make it to the ocean; a lady next to her started getting hypothermia (the Pacific is NOT warm (yet)) and wandered back towards the flames, ended up dying.  Horrible situation.  

"Yes, you're quite right, I should have stopped.  I did get a little impatient because I'm quite late for my tee time."  - Shittie Scheffler

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Drought conditions meant there was plenty of dry fuel.  That combined with a decent wind around the time the fires started meant folks just didn’t have enough time to get out of the way.  Not all that different from the Camp Fire in California a few years ago.

I get that the conditions were conducive for rapidly expanding the speed of the fires run.

Just read this article and it's still unclear  (to me anyway) how the local govt. emergency warning system didn't reach as many folks as it should. I'll assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Maui has tsunami warning horns that could have at least alerted most everyone to tune in to a local radio/tv station.

In any case, I'm sure this will be closely examined/investigated in the coming weeks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/us/lahaina-maui-fires-evacuation-orders.html?unlocked_article_code=1ka6vpfU8ag3xtlWPIBEfrPyMamgV5wJQw2IM5Iala8VfTr_5T9caGoa9FwnslLxXPMDAETBHQBcoKLmji9UkJdh_5b9_j5_5qlLOo1nfxiRnjL6JoLw2C8wjttfjG3ylD2QiMKm6kwC7QVEGEgtB3NKk28-2iK6BmLZXUJKjzN4HAFOTl6O-mOBj6af7cI2OOzhLcJTErYZGl3RsDNl8E5MmXtXnD1HgU0GV0QIe33YqPIdmuk6NphBiyVTUOnBgNtV2miGhzjhMbzUrr46n4IEvGqNVXckhsREuFkcEAF3ZZC0hrsEQEtKyc-s7BSbtJl7X5P5D12Kuz8TENrSLUv7ef_Zp7inJw&smid=url-share

Hey NYTimes - do you think you could make your URL's  even longer?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    Holy snappin' a$$holes will you look at the size of that thing!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    I should clarify that, I saw something big and I wanted all the holy snappin' a$$holes to look at the size of it. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    It was a command, that was my point!
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,880
    Options

Hold on to your hats,  we’re back back back!

After a Summer recess, occupied mainly around these parts by the consequential issues of the most recent house move.  This time, I have been assured, is the last – for a while.  Not easy being a fugitive from justice, is it?

So – on to the good stuff.  Premier League 2023-24 launches tonight, and in a new twist no pandemics* or World Cups are scheduled this time around.

Friday 

Burnley v Man City, the Clarets back in the top flight after season of rampant euphoric Champagne football.  That won’t sustain. 0-3

Saturday

Arsenal v Notts Forest, stand-out seasons last time out. The Gunners were top for most of it and then capitulated in splendid fashion. Forest, despite all science and logic – stayed up. Neither of those will repeat with Top 4 the best Arsenal can hope for and second album syndrome hovering for Forest. 2-1

Bournemouth v West Ham, could be a tricky season for the Cherries, who dodged the lightning bolt last year.  The Hammer shave sold their best player and are in Europe again. Too much on the buffet table? 1-1

Brighton v Luton Town. Oh, Ok – it’s started already hasn’t it?  ‘We love Brighton’ is back.  I fully expect this match to be played every weekend under special ‘ooh, Brighton – aren’t you lovely’ rules.  More apposite, Luton.  What is Luton?  Well, my friends, get on to that there Ewe Chube and type the words Luton Airport Lorraine Chase   You should locate a Campari advert or two.  Tells you all you need to know. 3-0

Everton v Fulham, the Toffees have swirled around the pan a few times in a row, so if this the season that their brand of chaos fully manifests?  I hope so but doubt it. Sean Dyche is why.  A man with such a scary voice that the team defies gravity. 1-1

Sheffield Utd v Palace, the Blades are back in the big time and the outlook is ‘tricky’.  Palace start their 11th season there and the outlook is ‘tricky’. 1-2

Newcastle v Aston Villa, a break-out success for Villa last season with a run from nowhere to take them to Europe.  But the Toon, forever to be read with the Death Star march in your mind are just getting better. Anticipate an irresistible points sponge type season from them. 2-0

Sunday

Brentford v Spurs, right now Lord Harry of Sir Kane of Tottingham and Engerland is mulling a switch to Bayern Munich.  They aren’t in the PL so I have no grasp of them on any conceivable level.  Spurs have a new manager and possibly no Harry, don’t look great do it?  2-2

Chelsea v Liverpool, two of the more ‘creative’ teams last year in the way they made a total has of things. Could be back to old routine this, could be further bamboozlement. 1-1

Man Utd v Wolves, well the prediction of Utd’s demise were premature and I think Ten Hag has now fully gripped things.  However, Wolves are in a tail spin already and things are rocky behind the scenes.  2-0.

So, welcome back.

And in more relevant news, I’ve got a sirloin on the bone lined up for tomorrow, sourced from a well-aged dairy herd, about 3 lbs.

*Reader discretion advised over the existence or otherwise of pandemics in the recent past.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I get that the conditions were conducive for rapidly expanding the speed of the fires run.

Just read this article and it's still unclear  (to me anyway) how the local govt. emergency warning system didn't reach as many folks as it should. I'll assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Maui has tsunami warning horns that could have at least alerted most everyone to tune in to a local radio/tv station.

In any case, I'm sure this will be closely examined/investigated in the coming weeks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/us/lahaina-maui-fires-evacuation-orders.html?unlocked_article_code=1ka6vpfU8ag3xtlWPIBEfrPyMamgV5wJQw2IM5Iala8VfTr_5T9caGoa9FwnslLxXPMDAETBHQBcoKLmji9UkJdh_5b9_j5_5qlLOo1nfxiRnjL6JoLw2C8wjttfjG3ylD2QiMKm6kwC7QVEGEgtB3NKk28-2iK6BmLZXUJKjzN4HAFOTl6O-mOBj6af7cI2OOzhLcJTErYZGl3RsDNl8E5MmXtXnD1HgU0GV0QIe33YqPIdmuk6NphBiyVTUOnBgNtV2miGhzjhMbzUrr46n4IEvGqNVXckhsREuFkcEAF3ZZC0hrsEQEtKyc-s7BSbtJl7X5P5D12Kuz8TENrSLUv7ef_Zp7inJw&smid=url-share

Hey NYTimes - do you think you could make your URL's  even longer?

To me, that article indicates that the fire even caught the emergency folks by surprise with how quickly it moved shortly after they thought they had it contained.  

Other reporting I read indicated that, even for people who received a warning to evacuate, they simply did not appreciate how little time they had.

Large fires and wind are a deadly combination that can catch even the most experienced people off-guard.  Read about the Mann Gulch fire if you ever get a chance.  The book by Norman Maclean is excellent.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,357
    Options
    Dropping the sheepadoodle for a scrub down and haircut.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Packing up. Leaving Nashville heading home. Met Drew Brees last night. Also had a private concert from Cole Swindell. It’s been a fun filled 4 days! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,851
    Options
    HeavyG said:

ive seen some pretty big mill fires, embers falling 3, 4, maybe 5 miles away from the actual fire. dwarfs in comparison to whats happening there. i remember being on the outskirts of lowell massachusetts and seeing objects about the size of a large mattress coming down around me, i could see the fire miles away. the updraft from the heat can be incredible, add a good wind and you are screwed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Pretty neat song taking the world by storm. This guy’s got a big career ahead of him, I think. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,357
    Options
    One article said that people went out in the ocean to get away. But the boats moored caught fire and their fuel spread in the water.
  • TheFishWhisperer
    Options
    HeavyG said:

ive seen some pretty big mill fires, embers falling 3, 4, maybe 5 miles away from the actual fire. dwarfs in comparison to whats happening there. i remember being on the outskirts of lowell massachusetts and seeing objects about the size of a large mattress coming down around me, i could see the fire miles away. the updraft from the heat can be incredible, add a good wind and you are screwed
    Most of my experiences on mattresses are not this hot or memorable.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,260
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

Where dat?
    Looks like Houston.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My wife, in watching a cooking show just now, used the word “kamado”. I married right. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,628
    Options
    Not enough seats for MLB stadium.  But great park and evening to enjoy baseball. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

Where dat?
    Durham Bulls my guess
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,575
    Options
    I'm not a huge baseball fan, but when I do attend a Raptors game I enjoy watching the sunset against the Wasatch.  

"Yes, you're quite right, I should have stopped.  I did get a little impatient because I'm quite late for my tee time."  - Shittie Scheffler

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @JohnInCarolina

Where dat?
    Durham Bulls my guess
    Correctamundo!
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,385
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @JohnInCarolina

Where dat?
    Durham Bulls my guess
    Correctamundo!
    I was going to go with the pride of Madison, Al. The Rocket City Trash Pandas. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,880
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @JohnInCarolina

Where dat?
    Durham Bulls my guess
    Correctamundo!
    Funny way to play cricket
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

Thought you were still on travels.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi

• JohnInCarolina
    Options