Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,240
    edited August 2023
    And I had a nice buzz on, then wife called me panicking.  She got some lead test swabs off Amazon and the color change indicated we had lead in our water.

Turns out to be operator error.  Instructions were unclear on bottle.  After some googling I learned these swabs are unreliable, a lot of trace elements cause a color change, and you are supposed to just insert the tip, not thrust the whole swab under water to activate.  Apparently thrusting it in completely gives false positives.

I was surprised because we just had a water panel done last year and everything was fine (except for a minor issue that was due to testing methodology, and a retest showed no issue.  Not the full panel @nolaegghead recommended, but enough for my major concerns).  Anywho, after testing per manufacturers instructions on their site, we do not have an issue.

I did use about 30 of the swabs doing A B testing with filtered, bottled, tap, hot tap, cold tap, both main water heater circuits.  Also hot and cold bottled water, and boiling water.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Showed performance numbers to management (wife). She ignored them at first, I was a bit miffed, but let it fester for the day.  Finally she sat down and looked at them closer.  Now she is drinking.

Told her this is an opportunity for her to take the reins off and let me do what she hired me to do.  Now we have the "numbers" justification to implement the performance improvement and training plans I want to.  Also justification for why the changes.  (All these nancies need reasons these days to do what management says).  Although based on initial lackluster responses from some people she send some preliminary info to, I may have nobody left to help improve because she is about to just clean ship.

So Monday I will either have PIPs or hiring requirements.
    All I can add is apparently she has been doing something right all these years. Just stepping in I would only make small tweaks to an engine that’s running great, if you push it too far without understanding every part of the motor she can blow.
     Personally if I wanted to show everyone how bad they sucked I would either step up and out work everyone so they had no excuse or hire a gunslinger that sets a new bar, sometimes good loyal employees get comfortable and forget what they are capable of.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,112
    edited August 2023
    Enough with the metaphors already but as a hunter (on my turf) if I see something I want to kill I don’t take a shot the first time I see it. I study its movement and routine over days or weeks, let it get comfortable and then pounce. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,240
    edited August 2023
    Enough with the metaphors already but as a hunter (on my turf) if I see something I want to kill I don’t take a shot the first time I see it. I study its movement and routine over days or weeks, let it get comfortable and then pounce. 
    I agree.  Been watching and tracking and working in the system for 3 months.

She is doing a lot right, and I am not changing what she does at all.  Staying out of her lane.  This is support staff stuff.  Training and adhering to existing team standards.  Team accountability has been allowed to slack.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,175
    Showed performance numbers to management (wife). She ignored them at first, I was a bit miffed, but let it fester for the day.  Finally she sat down and looked at them closer.  Now she is drinking.

Told her this is an opportunity for her to take the reins off and let me do what she hired me to do.  Now we have the "numbers" justification to implement the performance improvement and training plans I want to.  Also justification for why the changes.  (All these nancies need reasons these days to do what management says).  Although based on initial lackluster responses from some people she send some preliminary info to, I may have nobody left to help improve because she is about to just clean ship.

So Monday I will either have PIPs or hiring requirements.
    As a wise man once said, change is a whip.  The only question is which end you're on.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina

Turns out to be operator error.  Instructions were unclear on bottle.  After some googling I learned these swabs are unreliable, a lot of trace elements cause a color change, and you are supposed to just insert the tip, not thrust the whole swab under water to activate.  Apparently thrusting it in completely gives false positives.

You might be the first husband in history to explain to his wife that you're only supposed to insert the tip.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,608
    ^^^^ Very well played right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    Sounds like Hillary is pretty moist. 

Glad you caught that. 
    I picked a great time to be in San Diego 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Teaching my mom to back up a trailer… day 3
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Don’t even go there ^^^ @Ybabpmuts
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    edited August 2023
    If I wanted to teach momma to back up a trailer, I'd have to have the entire trailer made of toilet. She backs those up like you read about.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    Now that is an impressive tease and with a bonus fork sighting as well.
    Details please.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Great talent as has been mentioned here prior.  I am not refined enough to appreciate her skills.  Sweet setting as well. Really like the opennerss of your floor plan.
    Gonna be a great time with the upcoming gathering-enjoy.  
    Take a break and go find some exotics in your neighbourhood(nod). B)   
  • Ybabpmuts
    I'm always in awe of people that have musical talent, most especially at that level. I have zero knowledge of music theory. I know what I like to listen too, which is almost everything, and for music with lyrics I always look up the lyrics too, as that always interests me the most, the way songwriters think and the themes they weave into the lyrics.

Also, that's a nice piano but the arm of your chair is very wrinkly. I'm guessing someone sat on it, otherwise you have someone around you with really heavy arms, and I feel like I should warn you not to sleep with that person. My uncle had those old man jiggly arms and he turned over in his sleep and suffocated my aunt Badelia. Yea, she tried to get away but they found her half a fat arms length from safety. If nobody has been sitting on your chair, my advice to you is to be on the lookout for men with really large arms, and don't sleep next to them

I had to put my egg in storage and I'm sad
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    lousubcap said:
    Details please.
    I was watching this video and wanted to try his process. I’ve never really like steaks cooked inside but this was FIRE!!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap said:
    Details please.
    I was watching this video and wanted to try his process. I’ve never really like steaks cooked inside but this was FIRE!!! 
    Thanks for the video link.  Watched the whole thing and may have to give the method a go.  I love the speed of his delivery for the duration.  Definitely nailed it as did you!

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Sitting in the garage, drinking coffee and watching the rain. Am I officially old (not as old as Cap, but old)?
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Sitting in the garage, drinking coffee and watching the rain. Am I officially old (not as old as Cap, but old)?
    As a dude, I don't think you're officially "old" until your balls drop and you can no longer comfortably sit on wooden benches.  At least, this is what I am telling myself.  
  • Ybabpmuts
    It must be opposite day. This morning when I woke up my bum smelled like underwear.
  • lousubcap
    I could resemble that remark except I don't drink coffee and no chair in the garage...
    Guessing you are seeing the front end of now Tropical Storm Hilary?
  • lkapigian
    lousubcap said:
    I could resemble that remark except I don't drink coffee and no chair in the garage...
    She was a No Show in San Diego, or just fashionably late 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ybabpmuts said:
    It must be opposite day. This morning when I woke up my bum smelled like underwear.
    I think if it was actually opposite day you wouldn't have posted about your bum on the forum.  
    Yes that is my real name.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    lousubcap said:
    It’s something. The majority of it is supposed to come through tonight and tomorrow. I’m guessing it isn’t going to be the cataclysmic floods they were predicting though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ybabpmuts
    It was severely downgraded wasn't it, at least from what they were initially reporting? 
  • lkapigian
    Ybabpmuts said:
    It was severely downgraded wasn't it, at least from what they were initially reporting? 
    Yes, totally downgraded , barely a light sprinkle in San Diego 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian