Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    @Ozzie_Isaac, your Aussies don’t keep the sound dogs away?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Well I guess that you don’t have a feral cat problem.
    We have no feral or domesticated cat problems in AZ.  If the coyotes don't get them, the owls will.  Keeping barn cats around is hard.  Maybe 1 in 10 will live past a year.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Nope.  Coyotes around here don't pay attention to larger dogs.  They stalk the little dogs using pretty complicated pack tactics.  They give bigger dogs a wide berth, but they don't get run off either.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    ColbyLang said:
    Nope.  Coyotes around here don't pay attention to larger dogs.  They stalk the little dogs using pretty complicated pack tactics.  They give bigger dogs a wide berth, but they don't get run off either.
    Are they open game in AZ? 
    Las Vegas, NV

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    I had a yote try and lure my dog into the woods, it was the strangest thing.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    edited July 2023
    . I had a yote at the new cafe in town. I ate it the long way and my dog did not look into the woods either. In fact, he was looking at me all googly-eyed and whatnot. Oh dear lord
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2023
    Probably was in a pack.  Two or three more will stay hidden.  One runs in and tries to get the dog to chase it.  Runs it right into an ambush.

@Battleborn they are open year round, but you need a license.  You can also spot light them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Just found out that a sensor on my AC went toes up. 1 to 2 day wait and $562. Not fun but it could be much worse.
  • alaskanassasin
    Probably was in a pack.  Two or three more will stay hidden.  One runs in and tries to get the dog to chase it.  Runs it right into an ambush.

@Battleborn they are open year round, but you need a license.  You can also spot light them.
    It was probably a **** too, my boy was on the line like a catfish and I yelled whoa! Let’s think this through buddy… unless someone tied a dog to a tree on private property a mile from the road this may be a trap.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    After all that commotion the coyote never quit barking 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191

all it takes is one female in heat to set the trap.  ive chased them out of my 0.1 acre yard a quarter mile and they beat me back to the yard, had one ram the door once as it shut behind me. we have "friendly" city yotes here, up to 75 pounds on a scale
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    ColbyLang said:
    Are they open game in AZ? 
    i have a pack of the at the back of my property..nothing a bleet call and a 338 Lapua won't handle..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• alaskanassasin
    So far they have stayed out of my fowl and livestock so we cool.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Living in rural AZ we just know we will be dealing with bobcats, yotes, rattlesnakes, and predatory birds (they will attack you if you walk near their nests, son got hit by one and a neighbor was made bloody once).  Around our little spot of paradise they have started putting in 1000+ unit master planned communities, all the wildlife is getting pushed towards us.  Our concentration of hawks, owls, coyotes, and snakes has gone way up in the last two years.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,974
    At the airport again.  RDU to ATL to LAX to OAK.  I suspect the chances of an on-time arrival to be slim to none but we shall see.  Still working on securing that private jet or PJ as my tech friends call them…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    edited July 2023
    @JohnInCarolina - time to meet up with @henapple while playing with big boy toys out there?
    Surely your travel department can do better than that.  He!! next time ATL to SFO and drive a bit more... B)
    Edit for fat finger move correction.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Living in rural AZ we just know we will be dealing with bobcats, yotes, rattlesnakes, and predatory birds (they will attack you if you walk near their nests, son got hit by one and a neighbor was made bloody once).  Around our little spot of paradise they have started putting in 1000+ unit master planned communities, all the wildlife is getting pushed towards us.  Our concentration of hawks, owls, coyotes, and snakes has gone way up in the last two years.
    '...they have started putting in 1000+ unit master planned communities..."

Arizona has no water, but sure, let's add thousands more households.

Gonna be hilarious watching all the fighting over that last drop from the spigot in the not so distant future.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - time to meet up with @henapple while playing with big boy toys out there?
    Surely your travel department can do better than that.  He!! next time ATL to SFO and drive a bit more... B)
    Edit for fat finger move correction.
    It’s a pretty quick trip out and back and sadly my days are packed with meetings, so I won’t have time to visit Tony at his palatial estate.

I prefer to fly into OAK if possible.  SFO can be an absolute headache to get in and out of with all the traffic.  
  • lousubcap
    I get the traffic deal but eliminating a plane change in LAX has got to need a whole host of traffic delays to balance the scales.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Safe travels-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    It must be the miles and the segments, he's chasing elite diamond platinum president's club status.
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    HeavyG said:

Gonna be hilarious watching all the fighting over that last drop from the spigot in the not so distant future.

the brawndo distribution plant is in the works and will save the day

No photo description available

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    I get the traffic deal but eliminating a plane change in LAX has got to need a whole host of traffic delays to balance the scales.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Safe travels-
    I’ve done the SFO route before.  For me, that choice - SFO or OAK - depends on many things.  Itineraries that get you in and out of SFO aren’t always convenient timing-wise.  I do try to avoid more than one stop when I can but it’s not always practical, especially sticking to my preferred airline.  We’ll see how it goes today.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    At the airport again.  RDU to ATL to LAX to OAK.  I suspect the chances of an on-time arrival to be slim to none but we shall see.  Still working on securing that private jet or PJ as my tech friends call them…
    Better to use something like NetJets.  Then you don't need to bother with maintaining the Jet and having a crew.  Plus, you can try different aircraft to see which ones you prefer.  I prefer the Citation X+.  Unfortunately it is no longer made and they are hard to come by, but do occasionally show up on the 2nd hand market.  It doesn't have the "brand" recognition of Gulfstreams, but I will gladly trade that for speed (Mach .935).  To get near that speed with Bombardier or Gulfstream you need much larger jets with much higher price tags, although you also get more range with the larger offerings ...... See my point?  Let NetJets maintain the fleet for you, then you just pick where & when you want to be.  Like an Uber.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    HeavyG said:

Yeah, the water situation is always interesting.  Fortunately, the government is starting to take it more seriously.  We have always had special water districts that require proof of water sustainability for 50+ years and others that limit building, but don't require proof.  I am not sure what "proof" is required.

Phoenix has actually stopped new residential permits in areas that rely on groundwater.

The state government also rescinded the Saudi alf-alfa farm lease w/water rights.  They are starting to take water more seriously.

Living in Southern AZ, we don't have the lush yard/grass type landscaping like the folks in Phoenix do.  We have more low water style natural landscaping in the master planned communities.  Lots of rock, cactus, and native trees that do not require a lot of water.

With all that said, continued population growth will keep straining our water supplies.

Manufacturing and agriculture use way more water than households do.  Here is an article about a new semiconductor plant that you may find interesting:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/joannaallhands/2022/03/04/arizona-semiconductor-intel-tsmc-water-use/6915685001/

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,029
    RIP Pee Wee Herman
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    why did the movie barbie just come to mind
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    lkapigian said:
    RIP Pee Wee Herman
    Him and Sinbad in a week, what a blow…
  • fishlessman
    maybe fridge shopping, or spraying my vintage 1970's almond colored fridge down with electrical cleaner. popped a fuse twice now in a month, even changed circuits with a twenty five foot drop light extension laid across the kitchen floor. whattodo....whattodo =)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations window of opportunity taken and maximized.  Congrats and great lookin' groceries as well.
    Better to be lucky than good any day.