Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Applauding @saluki2007 , so hilarious

I can't thank my family enough for take a nap and allowing me the time to waste 30 minuets of my life that I will never get back.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,634

Saw this "DR CHAR" plate and thought of @Mickey and his wings. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Botch said:
    waiting on my connecting flight, to ABQ
    Sandia, or Los Alamos?  
    (try the huevos rancheros)  
    He would tell you, but then he would probably have to kill you. 
    He may have one higher degree than I do, but I might surpass him with Security Clearances (and I really don't know).  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Botch said:
    Today, I tried velveting pork for the first time
    Did you use oil or Kenji's water method?
    I did a mishmash of videos I'd watched this morning.  A small bit of Baking Soda, cornstarch, and some soy, and then massaged my loin firmly with my hand until it got sticky (omg I'm gonna regret typing that), and let it rest (my loin) in the frig for 30 minutes.  
    Boiled some water in my wok, stirred and broke up the pork, ~45 seconds, then drained and set aside.  The boiling seemed to screw up my wok surface, and stir-frying the veg had a lot of sticking.  Added the pork, then the sauce, and it got gummy (wok too hot, my fault).  
    I have two more quarters of a loin to play with the next two days, I'll report back if I finally figure out something that works well.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Today, I tried velveting pork for the first time
    Did you use oil or Kenji's water method?
    I did a mishmash of videos I'd watched this morning.  A small bit of Baking Soda, cornstarch, and some soy, and then massaged my loin firmly with my hand until it got sticky (omg I'm gonna regret typing that), and let it rest (my loin) in the frig for 30 minutes.  
    Boiled some water in my wok, stirred and broke up the pork, ~45 seconds, then drained and set aside.  The boiling seemed to screw up my wok surface, and stir-frying the veg had a lot of sticking.  Added the pork, then the sauce, and it got gummy (wok too hot, my fault).  
    I have two more quarters of a loin to play with the next two days, I'll report back if I finally figure out something that works well.  
    Did you re-oil after boiling the water?  I drain, wipe dry, heat up smoking hot, hit it with oil and swirl around, then turn the heat down real low (just pilot light or off depending on burner I am using), add veggies and begin stirring.  After about 15-30seconds, I turn the heat back, heat is based on feel, and toss veggies for wok hei.  After veggies are about 80%, I add more oil and then add the meat back in and toss.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,167
    Ok, hard to discern a point to this, but I stopped to take a pic
    I wonder if we can borrow Beldar for Brisket Camp?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    never seen this type of corrosion on a water pipe. some type of knife line corrosion on the weld seem. was holding pressure till i hit it with a hammer.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    never seen this type of corrosion on a water pipe. some type of knife line corrosion on the weld seem. was holding pressure till i hit it with a hammer.

Weld seam corrosion.  One cause can be improper heat treat (or no heat treat) after welding the seam.  The crystallin structure of the metal is changed due to the heat of welding.  This makes the metal immediately adjacent to the welds more suspectable to corrosion.  What you have pictured looks like a text book case.  Any chance that is part of a fire sprinkler system?

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    Made in China? @fishlessman
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman

Weld seam corrosion.  One cause can be improper heat treat (or no heat treat) after welding the seam.  The crystallin structure of the metal is changed due to the heat of welding.  This makes the metal immediately adjacent to the welds more suspectable to corrosion.  What you have pictured looks like a text book case.  Any chance that is part of a fire sprinkler system?

its a condensate line for a roof mount trickle condensate.  from reading up its either faulty heat treat or the edge of flatbar where the grain structure differs wasnt prepped properly or too much sulfur at the edge.  its not that old of a system.  never seen it but does appear to happen from time to time. the markings on the pipe show that it was supposed to be heat treated and pressure tested, theres really no pressure in this system.
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac

its a condensate line for a roof mount trickle condensate.  from reading up its either faulty heat treat or the edge of flatbar where the grain structure differs wasnt prepped properly or too much sulfur at the edge.  its not that old of a system.  never seen it but does appear to happen from time to time. the markings on the pipe show that it was supposed to be heat treated and pressure tested, theres really no pressure in this system.
    If it is a condensate line with no pressure, just reinstall with the seam facing up 😜

Pretty interesting failure mode, not the actual corrosion part, but how it presents.  Thank you for sharing.

• fishlessman
    Made in China? @fishlessman

south korea, most comes from there and the ukraine. not the ukraine so much nowadays
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    found the leg of a newborn fawn in my driveway today, hoping it was the fox and not coyote,  i dont usually see those this time of year. the fox den is maybe 100 feet away. ive never seen fox and deer go at it but this is one small leg
    fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    Here's reality when owning a stick burner....

This is one of the easiest smokers to clean up and it's about 45 minutes to an hour worth of time to do it. (Minus the fan blades) Everyone likes to show their food from a stick burner but somehow the clean up is hardly ever mentioned. Far from being hard work but just time consuming. You really do get to appreciate how stupid easy the BGE works and how jt cleans itself up for the most part. Would I trade the stick burners away? Not a chance. Every grill/smokers have their pros and cons but it's funny how you hardly ever hear about the time and commitment it takes to stay on top of these stick burners. Fun times!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:

This is one of the easiest smokers to clean up and it's about 45 minutes to an hour worth of time to do it. (Minus the fan blades) Everyone likes to show their food from a stick burner but somehow the clean up is hardly ever mentioned. Far from being hard work but just time consuming. You really do get to appreciate how stupid easy the BGE works and how jt cleans itself up for the most part. Would I trade the stick burners away? Not a chance. Every grill/smokers have their pros and cons but it's funny how you hardly ever hear about the time and commitment it takes to stay on top of these stick burners. Fun times!
    How often do you need to clean them?  After every cook, every 3, 5, or 10cooks, once a year?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2022
    My buddy went to New Mexico with his son who is an Eagle Scout for some exclusive camping experience, anyway, not that important.  Anyway he’s supposed to be back at work tomorrow (and I need him for some work on one of our products).  

This is part of our texts

WeberWho said:

How often do you need to clean them?  After every cook, every 3, 5, or 10cooks, once a year?
    I clean it every 3rd - 4th cook. Fans need to be cleaned every 100 hours or so if I'm not mistaking. Oven cleaner, magic eraser, and a pressure washer make it pretty easy work with the KBQ. You can go as long as you're willing to let it go I suppose. I find it easier to clean the more often you do it. I've been traveling with it to different places/events and people are typically curious on how it works. So it usually gets washed before being loaded up as people don't want to look or eat off something that's completely disgusting. It's different when you're at home and you and your family are eating off it and know what's been on it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,167
    Solid day meeting with technical staff members at Sandia.  Another round of meetings tomorrow morning and afternoon, and then we'll have a break - catching the Isotopes game tomorrow night.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    My buddy went to New Mexico with his son who is an Eagle Scout for some exclusive camping experience, anyway, not that important.  Anyway he’s supposed to be back at work tomorrow (and I need him for some work on one of our products).  

Holy smokes man.  If that was the crash today, 3 people died and bunch injured!!  Glad your friend and his kids are ok.  Scary stuff.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

That’s the lead story in my google news feed. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Looks like the crash is Missouri. If so he’s lucky to only be bruised up. Glad they are ok and hopefully everyone else is able to walk away as well. 
    Snellville, GA

• Damn hate to hear 3 died. 
    Snellville, GA

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,815

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    shtgunal3 said:
    Damn, he’s coming to Louisiana?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,602
    Regarding stick burner cleanup- the rig you run is the major variable.  I clean my Lang (36") after every cook.  Pull the guts, hit the interior with water from a hose.  Scrape the bottom surface bits into the catch pail/pan (where the water ends up as well). Reload the guts, spray with cooking oil-done.  
    Just need some good hi heat gloves to get the racks out.  Easy-even for me.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding stick burner cleanup- the rig you run is the major variable.  I clean my Lang (36") after every cook.  Pull the guts, hit the interior with water from a hose.  Scrape the bottom surface bits into the catch pail/pan (where the water ends up as well). Reload the guts, spray with cooking oil-done.  
    Just need some good hi heat gloves to get the racks out.  Easy-even for me.  FWIW-

Salute to you sir. If that’s your easy, I’m even more impressed. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:

Thank you for convincing me never to get a stick burner.  If something is going to be that high maintenance, it better do more than just cook me dinner.