Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Nosey neighbors 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SonVolt Let us know how it turns out. I never can get mine tender. I’ve tried to make Braciole 2-3 times and it’s never been good. I keep going back in though because it looks/sounds so good. 
    Maybe someday I’ll learn to cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Foghorn
    Awesome brother horn 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Bwchase said:
    Smoking prime tri-tip, nursing a Bushmills.
    6 inches of snow, what a life!
    As above, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great menu right there especially the juice.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Foghorn - some serious groceries and rigs right there.  Beyond that a great and I'm sure much appreciated gesture.  Those are the kinds of things that keep people committed to the team and inspire them do whatever to "get it done."  Way to make a meaningful and actionable difference.  Many thanks from afar.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Thanks @SGH and @lousubcap,

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @SonVolt Let us know how it turns out. I never can get mine tender. I’ve tried to make Braciole 2-3 times and it’s never been good. I keep going back in though because it looks/sounds so good. 
    Sometimes you just need to pound your meat more than you think.
    Options

Options
    Sometimes you just need to pound your meat more than you think.
    :whistle:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    @JohnInCarolina 9 hours for 12+ lbs of SRF at around 300*F on the dome is definitely not an outlier cook for me.  The brisket gods are riding with you on this as evidenced by your early check on the cook.  Again great gesture and congrats on the whole deal.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Just finished cleaning up the driveway, grilling area, and kitchen. Spent yesterday making 120 individual BBQ meals for coworkers.  Used a borrowed pit to complement mine.  Did 30 racks of ribs, 50 chicken halves that we split into quarters, 4 giant pans of smoked mac and cheese with hatch chilis, grilled veggies, and homemade chocolate covered rice krispy treats.  

The pics suck because we were so busy - so I decided not to start a thread just for this.  We kept the team lean and distanced so there wasn’t any rest from 5:30 AM to sometime after 6 PM. 
    Way to roll right through it @foghorn great cook great reason

Bonus points for gloving the ribs and not destroying your hard work with Tongs  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Pre-salting the drive. It will make plowing easier when this crap is over. 12” of light, powdery snow, moderate winds and open farmland area = nightmare to keep roads clear. Sub-zero temps won’t help much. 

Tri-tip on the menu for tonight 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @lkapigian.  I've hung out with some competition teams and learned some of their trick.  In a cook this large I don't use them all (for example, we didn't inject the chickens), but I do go with what seems operational.  We did wrap the ribs in foil and use margarine and brown sugar in the foil.  They got rave reviews.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Thoroughly enjoying the Arsenal game.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Options
    SciAggie said:

@SciAggie

It wasn't worth the hassle, tbh. I had no problems getting it tender during the braise, but b/c it's flank steak it had an unappealing stringiness in the muscle fibers that I didn't care for.  It was also a lot of work to butterfly it, pound it out thin, stuff it, roll & tie. By the time it's done the cheese in the stuffing has melted out and the rest of it just gets lost in the mix.  I feel I get much better bang for my buck with a standard "Sunday Gravy" of short ribs, meaty pork neck bones and Italian sausages. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Filets for tonights dinner. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Some wings from last night. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SonVolt That’s my experience with the filling coming out. I think I’ll just mark a line through that recipe and not bother with it again. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Just got to work.  I'm not on the schedule to work today but some colleagues are iced in at home and it's going to get worse.   So, two of us went in just to be here for tomorrow because those who are on call tomorrow are already landlocked - and most of the roads in the city just got closed.

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Did some pork for tea tonight, skin separated part way through cooking to make sure it was crunchy.

Is Valentine's Day a thing in Europe?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Made some pita bread

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Did some pork for tea tonight, skin separated part way through cooking to make sure it was crunchy.

Is Valentine's Day a thing in Europe?
    Don't say the E word, we're not in Europe any more, we cast off our mooring and are drifting off into the Atlantic.

I got Anne a card. She got me some nougat and a nice earthenware cup. I'm ahead in this game, and who doesn't like roast pork and crackling?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    We just finished up a very expensive dinner at a hard to get reservations restaurant for Valentine's day. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Just got to work.  I'm not on the schedule to work today but some colleagues are iced in at home and it's going to get worse.   So, two of us went in just to be here for tomorrow because those who are on call tomorrow are already landlocked - and most of the roads in the city just got closed.
    That is who you are!  Way to be there when needed most!
    My sincerest respect and admiration.