Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    As a celebratory 1st week of new job cook I made a reverse seared wagyu ribeye and strip for dinner. Used post oak wood chips to give them a kiss of smoke.

Salted 3 hours before and let them rest in fridge. Cooked at 225 until temp read 120, let them rest for 10min till the egg was 600 and seared 1min on each side. Good eats. Paired with not shown loaded baked potato and grilled roasted garlic bread.

May want to watch out using smoke...... Something tells me you have enemies.

Looks good though 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have run several deer through the ole kitchen aid. I know where to send it if it breaks! Along with some millers!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice money shot @TEXASBGE2018.  Definitely better looking that some bass boat on the side of a neighbors home.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Do they allow wagyu in HOA’s?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SGH said:
    Only if you wear a mask

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SGH said:
    Only if you wear a mask
    As is proper 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    SWMBOs Uncle’s kitchenaid is back in action. I had to ask what and the hell he was doing to shred these cast gears. It’s typically the nylon failsafe gear that goes. His answer “Grinding 20 lbs of sausage”! Dude...you need a meat grinder or at least a bigger kitchenaid 🤣

Victory beer

Right.  Excessive load. These kitchenaids are not commercial tools, even if they say "Professional" on them.  Doesn't take much to smell the insulation on the motor either.   Once you start wearing down the gears, the grit only accelerates the wear.

I'm not saying I don't like them, I love mine.  But yeah, not designed for continuous duty under heavy load.
    This one is a classic plus 275 watt. I wouldn’t do 20 lbs of sausage with my Professional 600. 
    I have crushed 20lbs and more several times with my pro 600 w/grinder attachment (the metal one). We have upgraded to a LEM #12 now but the pro 600 did a great job pushing through some pretty big jobs. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    May be the strangest dessert I have ever been served. Foster daughter’s 22nd birthday tonight so we went out for dumplings and noodles at our favorite spot. They knew it was her bday (she had a drink and they carded her) so they brought this after our meal. Chocolate mousse bulldog puppy with raspberry filling. It felt weird chopping his little head off but he was delicious. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You are definitely keeping it weird...
    Options
    May be the strangest dessert I have ever been served. Foster daughter’s 22nd birthday tonight so we went out for dumplings and noodles at our favorite spot. They knew it was her bday (she had a drink and they carded her) so they brought this after our meal. Chocolate mousse bulldog puppy with raspberry filling. It felt weird chopping his little head off but he was delicious. 

Unsure how to feel about this. Do you still foster? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options

Some more boneless whole chickens.  Getting better.  Next I have to plan for a filling and truss these things.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,512
    Options

Please, the name of the "restaurant"; that ain't Right.   :|

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Have you ever thrown something together that ended up being like, - Dang! that was delicious?

I had a white squash from the garden that needed to be cooked. Had a random carrot laying around...
    I thought about a squash gratin, but didn’t have cream and I was too lazy to make a white sauce...
    I was par boiling some taters so I rough chopped the carrot and threw it in the pot with the taters. 
    After 10 minutes I fished the carrot out. I rough chopped the squash and added the carrot. Seasoned with EVOO and a seasoning blend of bourbon smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and other goodness. 
    This went in some CI and thrown in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. 
    When it was tender I looked at it and thought it needed something. I was rooting around in the fridge and found a little chunk of Stilton blue cheese that needed to be used. I crumbled some of the blue cheese on the squash and carrots then put it back in the oven for a minute to melt the cheese. 

Chit y’all - this is good! My wife looked at me and was like, “Write this down. This is good.” So y’all might give it a try. Not bad for an attempt to use ingredients before they turn bad. 

Your throwing something together is magazine quality! 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Watching the Giants give Brady some problems.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @nolaegghead - that’s a heckofa cake there.  It’s no puppy but I bet it’ll do in a pinch.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @nolaegghead You’ve put out some killer food lately. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks, Gary.  John, I bought the cake.  Chocolate mousse.   
    Options
    @SciAggie this is our go-to squash recipe.  It's insanely easy and always a hit, even with people that dislike squash.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/snowcapped-butternut-squash/
    Options
    @nolaegghead Thanks. That sounds good. Mary and I eat a lot of butternut squash in the winter. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Watching the Giants give Brady some problems.
    It came down to the wire. 

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Unsure how to feel about this. Do you still foster? 
    That is a reasonable response. 

We have not fostered any others.  This one was in our orbit and needed some emergency intervention like 6 years ago. No way we could have not helped knowing what was going on.  We didn’t know it was going to be a foster situation but that was the best thing to do given the circumstances. 
    I’ve always thought adoption and fostering are some of the greatest things you can do for society. And on the individual level, you are literally changing someone’s world for the better. 

I think I’ll stop at two biological children, but if I was to consider another, I’d have to give serious thought to adopting. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Getting in line to vote. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Not much goin’ on today.  What about y’all?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95