Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Working on a draft of a research proposal to the NIH on a center for advancing laser lithotripsy (my section is the computational modeling part).  I'm telling myself that I'm only working on a Sunday because I don't have a real job.  
    As the second lithotripsy patient in NC (26mm) I applaud your efforts and root for your success. The laser they used on me looked like a WWll antiaircraft gun. Oh and good luck on that search for a real job.
    We have a bunch of new lasers to play with these days.  Some of them can really blow kidney stones to smithereens. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited September 2020
    Working on a draft of a research proposal to the NIH on a center for advancing laser lithotripsy (my section is the computational modeling part).  I'm telling myself that I'm only working on a Sunday because I don't have a real job.  
    As the second lithotripsy patient in NC (26mm) I applaud your efforts and root for your success. The laser they used on me looked like a WWll antiaircraft gun. Oh and good luck on that search for a real job.
    We have a bunch of new lasers to play with these days.  Some of them can really blow kidney stones to smithereens. 
    That one did the trick. They strapped me to a chair, dropped me in a big pool and ran out of the room. I think they were worried I might explode. I passed sand for a week.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Working on a draft of a research proposal to the NIH on a center for advancing laser lithotripsy (my section is the computational modeling part).  I'm telling myself that I'm only working on a Sunday because I don't have a real job.  
    That one did the trick. They strapped me to a chair, dropped me in a big pool and ran out of the room. I think they were worried I might explode. I passed sand for a week.
    If they put you in a tub of water I don't think they were using lasers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    HeavyG said:
    Nah,   I was trying to be funny. I think it was ultrasound actually, I was drifting away at the time.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • HeavyG said:
    Nah,   I was trying to be funny. I think it was ultrasound actually, I was drifting away at the time.
    Yes that was definitely ultrasound.  That's shock-wave lithotripsy (SWL) - we model that too.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @bucky925 looks awesome my friend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Hot wings, not as good as they look.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I learned something new. I had accumulated some very light rust inside my offset smoker. (Yikes!)
    In anticipation of this I had purchased some food grade phosphoric acid. This is the main ingredient in Ospho - but Ospho has other ingredients not good for human ingestion. 
    So I used a spray bottle to mist the rusted areas. Wow! It completely neutralized the rust. 

I then rinsed the smoker with my power washer. I let it dry and applied vegetable oil. 

So, we’ll see how it goes but it seems like a good way to attack the rust. A note of caution - wear gloves and safety glasses and respect phosphoric acid. This stuff is serious.

I would not recommend using it on painted areas - didn’t try it. Do that at your own risk. I’ll update as I see how this plays out over time.  
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,480
    @Ozzie_Isaac - for all the effort to get a chicken into the ballotine state there is no way I would do anything besides the deboned stuffed chix.  Your knife skills must be top-shelf as it takes me too long following Jacques Pepin to get there.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Watched the Patriots be denied. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    edited September 2020
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - for all the effort to get a chicken into the ballotine state there is no way I would do anything besides the deboned stuffed chix.  Your knife skills must be top-shelf as it takes me too long following Jacques Pepin to get there.   B)
    Not one of my better jobs, but it worked pretty well.  It takes me about 10 minutes and is good practice for when I need one for presentation.

Btw, Pepin's video is the one I learned from.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    lousubcap said:
    Not one of my better jobs, but it worked pretty well.  It takes me about 10 minutes and is good practice for when I need one for presentation.

Just watched Pepin's video.  I like when he says  "It should not take you much more than a minute to bone out a chicken."

I'm going to try this. My main motivator is to have more raw carcass for stock.   I'll have to find a nice chef's knife.  I think Walmart had one for 6 bucks.  😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    kl8ton said:
    lousubcap said:

Just watched Pepin's video.  I like when he says  "It should not take you much more than a minute to bone out a chicken."

I'm going to try this. My main motivator is to have more raw carcass for stock.   I'll have to find a nice chef's knife.  I think Walmart had one for 6 bucks.  😁
    Haha!  Yeah, Walmart's "Forged in Fire Blade".  $14.99 for the finest chinese steel.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Michael Thomas out makes me a little nervous, but he didn't do much against the Bucs.  Can't wait.  Lasagna here.
    Evening in the workshop today.  My Husky 250 has developed a bit of a rattle, which I can't find.  Screwdriver stethoscope and all sounds smooth inside. Pulled the plug and cleaned out all of the crud, nice colour so the tune a couple of weeks ago must be OK! Replaced a hose that was touching the header. Pulled the auto chain tensioner, only 4 clicks in, so no real chain stretch showing.  Cam cover off, manually checked the chain tension and good, no top end bearing wear, all 4 valves between tolerance. Put it all back together and none the wiser, apart from someone has stripped one of the cam cover screws and I don't fancy pulling the engine to coil it.  It had a tiny leak on the gasket before, so probably still will seep a bit, but no big deal.
  • @Eoin did you check the piston return spring?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    @Eoin did you check the piston return spring?

On the tensioner?  It's not hydraulic, spring applied so under constant pressure and a sprung pawl on a ratchet so it can't retract once extended (when under pressure at higher revs).