Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,977
    Prepping for an entire day of back to back to back Zoom meetings.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    edited August 2020
    picked the first of the san marzano tomatoes off the vine this morning. new type to me san marzano  redorta, big as a beer can and as sweet as any heirlooms ive ever tasted. hope they have these next year much better than the regular san marzanos ive grown in the past

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Acn said:
    School starts tomorrow.  Duck is SWMBO, Jr’s favorite, so I’m cooking duck tonight.

Just because this, while cooked on a gas side burner, is awesome!
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 712
    Thinking about dropping this in their mailbox today as well...that exclamation point 😡

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Thinking about dropping this in their mailbox today as well...that exclamation point 😡

I've dropped a few of those back into the mail box before. Today, again, I walked the mail intended for the widow next door, from my mailbox to hers. I also live 3 houses from an inter section. To the right three houses from the intersection is another house with the same street number. I've lost count of the mail that I have walked over to their door. Mail trucks need a gps with a moving map display if they can't tell which street they are on.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Trying to come up with a relatively simple real-world example that gives rise to a nonlinear system of equations, for my class.  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,716
    Trying to come up with a relatively simple real-world example that gives rise to a nonlinear system of equations, for my class.  
    Pass😂😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm spitballing here. What about for a certain conical cross section of a wine/champagne glass, how tall would it need to be to hold x ounces of wine?
    That the kind of thing we're talking about?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    how much gin did i drink from my parabolic mug. first glass was full, second glass was 2/3rds full, third glass was half full. thats the best i got if i understand this right but really have no clue =) my liver doctor needs to know. make it tricky, first glass has a quarter of a lime, secong glass has two, third glass has three...to keep count
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    SciAggie said:
    I'm spitballing here. What about for a certain conical cross section of a wine/champagne glass, how tall would it need to be to hold x ounces of wine?
    That the kind of thing we're talking about?

too funny, we both had the same twisted drinking idea
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited August 2020
    This will morf into a Krzyzewskiville drinking game named after JIC.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    @fiahlessman grew up in upstate NY and loved those split-tail hot dog buns.  A bit harder to find (the buns =) ) in these parts.  Great looking dogs right there!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2020
    lousubcap said:
    @fiahlessman grew up in upstate NY and loved those split-tail hot dog buns.  A bit harder to find (the buns =) ) in these parts.  Great looking dogs right there!

was stumped on how to make a hot dog out in montana back 30 or so years ago with potato buns, i didnt buy buns. the other horrifying encounter was all the orange cheese, i was sent off to get a weeks worth of cheese for the group  and came back saying there is no cheese. we didnt buy cheese for the week either.
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    Look John, were not all making Duke professor money, so I’m sure some people are going to be hesitant to help you out without some kind of, um, consideration.

How about figuring the cook time for a hunk of protein?  You’ve got cook temp, IT, weight of protein.  Stall.  For the advanced kids, maybe toss a 22 hour 4lb pork butt at them, or a brisket cooked mostly on a smoker and finished in an instant pot.

Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    Legume said:
    Look John, were not all making Duke professor money, so I’m sure some people are going to be hesitant to help you out without some kind of, um, consideration.

How about figuring the cook time for a hunk of protein?  You’ve got cook temp, IT, weight of protein.  Stall.  For the advanced kids, maybe toss a 22 hour 4lb pork butt at them, or a brisket cooked mostly on a smoker and finished in an instant pot.

they probably dont know what a pork butt is
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Legume said:

they probably dont know what a pork butt is
    They are probably all vegans. But maybe they can figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
  • frazzdaddy
    Legume said:

This is the stuff that makes this place great
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Cooking a late lunch. Trying to be healthier vs Fast food.  Caribbean jerk chicken 

• JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:

What's funny is the assumption I was looking for help.  I was just telling you guys what I was doing.  

For those interested - the problem I have settled on is a discrete version of the catenary problem.  Imagine you have a string tied at both ends with a set of weights hanging on it at different locations.  The problem is to find the final location of the weights.  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Legume said:

What's funny is the assumption I was looking for help.  I was just telling you guys what I was doing.  

For those interested - the problem I have settled on is a discrete version of the catenary problem.  Imagine you have a string tied at both ends with a set of weights hanging on it at different locations.  The problem is to find the final location of the weights.  

It was a fun distraction anyway. We made an assumption that you were brainstorming. You know what they say about assumptions...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,493
    Legume said:

Awwww...the catenary problem. Too easy.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    Oh.  I thought you said real world problem.
    Not a felon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    JohnInCarolina said:
    the problem I have settled on is a discrete version of the catenary problem.  

Is that similar to discrete rectal problems? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I build subsea SCR’s (steel catenary risers) for a living. Does that mean I am smart too?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:
    It can be described as one.  You want to run a zip line across your back yard between two trees.  If you know the weight of the cable, what kind of tension do you need to put into it to prevent it from drooping too low somewhere in the middle?  
  • JohnInCarolina
    SGH said:
    I build subsea SCR’s (steel catenary risers) for a living. Does that mean I am smart too?

Maybe.  I suppose the answer depends upon whether or not you've figured out a way to work anus into the designs...
  • nope but it does mean you lay really large pipe in giant holes.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    Legume said:
    It can be described as one.  You want to run a zip line across your back yard between two trees.  If you know the weight of the cable, what kind of tension do you need to put into it to prevent it from drooping too low somewhere in the middle?  
    That's easy, Tie one end to a tree and the other end to your tractor. Then pull. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 846
    Inverted pendulum or anything with real world damping is pretty much non-linear.