Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,863
    Options
    Instapot brisket beets

im seeing vacuum packed beets alot in the supermarket, wonder if this is how they cook them. what temp and time are you shooting for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,645
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @fishlessman
    Just washed, no peel or any processing. Instapot steam setting 15 min. not mushy but next batch will be 12 min for firmer texture. Freeze well. Pre freeze if you're using Foodsaver.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,863
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @fishlessman
    Just washed, no peel or any processing. Instapot steam setting 15 min. not mushy but next batch will be 12 min for firmer texture. Freeze well. Pre freeze if you're using Foodsaver.

thats quick.  will need to look at the suisvide route
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Watching David Blaine Ascension

https://youtu.be/QwzvNAAqH3g
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options

He is the best.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Just finished installing my new back up lights wound up having to fabricate some brackets to work with the yota (without drilling holes in the bumper). The old ones had flooded, and were the cheap amazon variety for 20 bucks....these cost alot more and have a better reputation.....we shall see 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,377
    Options
    A dealer is clearing sh*tload of WSM 18" hanging racks for peanuts, picked one on impulse. Already made three legs for raising cooking grids, cut another one and got myself a PBC clone  :)  It's almost 6" above gasket and no dome interference. 

Nice!

I've had one for my WSM 18" which I have used to hang ribs in for years.

Weber quit making those many years ago - did the dealer just happen to find a bunch stuck somewhere in the back of his store??

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Options
    @HeavyG Probably, perhaps I should load up and sell on Ebay, only 11.25 loonies each! I had a PBC but unloaded it as things were getting out of control (still is) here  :)
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,846
    edited September 2020
    Options

He landed those balloons not far from me, I assume practicing , overshot the airport and landed at a trucking company 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,271
    Options
    lkapigian said:

He landed those balloons not far from me, I assume practicing , overshot the airport and landed at a trucking company 

Are you in Arizona?  Thought his stunt was in Paige?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @HeavyG Do you hang ribs in WSM with water pan or direct?  I found ribs from PBC kind of heavy on smoke.
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,389
    Options
    Want to see some "pucker factor" in action?

https://youtu.be/y63mXpynoAs

Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    edited September 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Are you in Arizona?  Thought his stunt was in Paige?
    Central CA, I think it was filmed in various locations...not sure but this was a couple weeks ago ..its part of a pixar movie 

https://amp-visaliatimesdelta-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.visaliatimesdelta.com/amp/5584294002?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15990924261523&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/news/2020/08/14/look-up-famous-magician-david-blaine-spotted-floating-over-porterville/5584294002/
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,380
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Stocking the bar cart. SWMBO promptly let me know it's for ”seasonal decorations”. 😂 there's gonna be pumpkins on it soon, me thinks
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    Options
    Jumping in the Black Garlic Game...21 days

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian Anxious to see how that turns out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Anxious to see how that turns out. 
    @sciaggie me as well....30 cloves , lessons learned already , will post what I find to be helpful and shortcuts.....end goal Black Garlic SPG seasoning Black Garlic Salami 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I first made black garlic last year using an old crockpot. Didn't go well cuz I let them dry too long and they were rock hard and bitter.

The next time they were ok but I guess I didn't let them dry enough and they were still so sticky they were impossible to peel. The few that I did peel were ok tastewise.

I then bought one of those $40 black garlic making gizmos which seems to make the process easy but still had some heads that were too hard and some too soft but most heads seemed ok.

After using a few heads I just wasn't tasting/feeling the "wow" that I was reading about and expecting. Not sure if I'll make any more.

Hope it goes better for you and your tastebuds!

P.S. - You'll want to do this in your garage our outbuilding cuz the smell is rather strong.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    @HeavyG Do you hang ribs in WSM with water pan or direct?  I found ribs from PBC kind of heavy on smoke.
    I never used the water pan in my WSM. They would hang directly over the coals. I used Harry Soo's donut hole method to light the coals.

A couple of times the lowermost rib on a longer rack would be too close to the fire and get a bit charred but no biggie.

I haven't cooked any ribs in the WSM since I got my KBQ so it has been feeling neglected for a few years now.

• lkapigian
    edited September 2020
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    lkapigian said:

I first made black garlic last year using an old crockpot. Didn't go well cuz I let them dry too long and they were rock hard and bitter.

The next time they were ok but I guess I didn't let them dry enough and they were still so sticky they were impossible to peel. The few that I did peel were ok tastewise.

I then bought one of those $40 black garlic making gizmos which seems to make the process easy but still had some heads that were too hard and some too soft but most heads seemed ok.

After using a few heads I just wasn't tasting/feeling the "wow" that I was reading about and expecting. Not sure if I'll make any more.

Hope it goes better for you and your tastebuds!

P.S. - You'll want to do this in your garage our outbuilding cuz the smell is rather strong.
    I've been monitoring the humidity ( this cooker is tight no real water loss in a week )  which may be key, I was gifted this overly expensive rice cooker Simone bought and didnt need ( who can't cook rice in a pot ) this is tightly sealed keeping the RH up 80+%  dies run warm but 140 on the low upper 150s on the high for black garlic ....my goal is to keep the RH up and temp on the warm side ...removed all today and inspected ....thanks @HeavyG hoping the cost benefit ratio is good, otherwise I will stick with roasted garlic 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @HeavyG Thanks for sharing. Just educated myself on Soo's donut method at amazingribs.com . My understanding is lighting the egg with one spot in the middle is kind of similar. When I hang ribs I'll probably go with half racks to minimise bottom char.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:

...... I was gifted this overly expensive rice cooker Simone bought and didnt need ( who can't cook rice in a pot ) .....
    You and @caliking are rice snobs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,746
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:

...... I was gifted this overly expensive rice cooker Simone bought and didnt need ( who can't cook rice in a pot ) .....
    Don't hate us because we care.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:

Don't hate us because we care.
    My son tells me he wish I cared less sometimes.