Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Going to give the soap a try with this recipe...
    That'll probably work fine; most of the 'maters in your pic were still green (AND it's still early August), you'll get a good crop.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @dbCooper no four legged friends here  :) pepper solution seems to be working well for cucumber but never tried it on tomatoes, guess they weren’t interested in green hard toms before.
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Ye olde pulled pork taco with guacamole. 

Beauty!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @dbCooper we experimenting with diatomaceous earth for insect control. You can get it at tsc. 
    Very good for lice and mites on poultry.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @dbCooper we experimenting with diatomaceous earth for insect control. You can get it at tsc. 
    That is very interesting, are you at a point yet to determine the effectiveness? 
    Past experience in a different application, I've enjoyed the aquarium hobby since a teenager, at one point was heavily into Discus', used DE as a filter media in those tanks with great results for water clarity. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @dbCooper we bought it to treat cabbage worms that were decimating our kale, and it was very effective for that. I also sprinkled it on dying squash plants and they now have new growth, I’m not sure what was killing them. 

I put it on dying eggplants that had millions of holes in the leaves and saw new growth but now I have identified flea beetles on those so I’m going to reapply and see if it gets them.

My giant pumpkins are inundated with cucumber beetle, the plants do look good regardless I will probably put some on to see if it helps.  

I have totally eradicated horned worms using a Bug Assault gun, I bet I sniped 50 of those and pumped them full of salt. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Eoin said:
     Thanks for that @Eoin we had a infestation of those this spring and I treated with permethrin. I will sprinkle some DE in the coop. Also thinking about covering the feed somehow so the wild birds cannot get to it. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Eoin said:
     Thanks for that @Eoin we had a infestation of those this spring and I treated with permethrin. I will sprinkle some DE in the coop. Also thinking about covering the feed somehow so the wild birds cannot get to it. 
    We found that repeated application worked well to maintain plenty of powder in all corners and hiding places like perch ends. 

Rats were the biggest problem for us, they always set up house when there's chicken food about.

Our chickens all went walkabout when the garden flooded and never came back, probably fox food. We've had a break from keeping them for 6 months now, not sure if we'll bother again.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    ^^^^^^like^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Never thought to smoke fruitcake before...
    Options
    Smoother if you vape it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Coming from the guy with 30k posts and still cant cook.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Lit said:
    Well this is a change from calling Nola a girl, so at least you’re trying I guess.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ahh a beautiful Sunday, perfect day for grilling and watching golf...  or in someone else’s  world....  LET THE FLAGGING BEGIN!!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Prepping to boil blue point crabs. Parents and in laws coming over. A fun filled afternoon. I was told by the wife not to leave the camp without any. Happy wife, happy life 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Well this is a change from calling Nola a girl, so at least you’re trying I guess.  
    I know Caitlyn is a guy he just doesnt look like it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @northGAcock Happy Anniversary! Tri tip is One of my wife’s favorites as well. Enjoy time with your love and be well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Weed eating. Of course the SOB runs out of line when I'm at the furthest part of the property. It appears that our low humidity days are over. Sweating like a whore in church 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!