Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon @Foghorn I didn’t have any peach preserves, but y’all inspired me. I used a raspberry peach chipotle glaze made in Fredericksburg that I really enjoy. I think they turned out quite well. 

@SciAggie - those ribs look awesome. Way better than the ones I cooked yesterday.  And I love just about anything with peach from Fredericksburg. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon @Foghorn I didn’t have any peach preserves, but y’all inspired me. I used a raspberry peach chipotle glaze made in Fredericksburg that I really enjoy. I think they turned out quite well. 

Chances are we will be back down there again, and I would love to find the place you acquired that glaze.

They look mighty fine to me. I do love ribs. I would kill those for dang sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    lkapigian said:
    I had smoked a bunch of Fresnos late last year for Chipotle 

Converted it into some  Spanish Chorizo..the smoke comes through just right 

This post just makes me excited. This may be one of the first things I want to attempt.
    I can see myself raising the peppers, smoking the peppers, and then making the chorizo. Lot’s of fun...

Question:
    Do you buy or grow the Fresnos?
    I never see them in the grocery or the nursery around here. 

You might as well write up this procedure from start to finish when you have the time. I will be asking how to do it eventually. 

Again, great stuff. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    Quick question. I went freezer diving yesterday and found three large ziplock bags of Hatch chilies. The chilies are around 3 years old. They look fine, no freezer burn. They are probably still good, right?
    Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Quick question. I went freezer diving yesterday and found three large ziplock bags of Hatch chilies. The chilies are around 3 years old. They look fine, no freezer burn. They are probably still good, right?
    Still good , most likely 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    They are completely fine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    I had smoked a bunch of Fresnos late last year for Chipotle 

Converted it into some  Spanish Chorizo..the smoke comes through just right 

This post just makes me excited. This may be one of the first things I want to attempt.
    I can see myself raising the peppers, smoking the peppers, and then making the chorizo. Lot’s of fun...

Question:
    Do you buy or grow the Fresnos?
    I never see them in the grocery or the nursery around here. 

You might as well write up this procedure from start to finish when you have the time. I will be asking how to do it eventually. 

Again, great stuff. 
    Thanks @SciAggie and will do, I get Fresnos at the store , they are pretty abundant once a year, most I ferment into hot sauce ....I keep a couple 2 gal zip lock baggies in the freezer of the smoked one's....honestly you could sub smoked green jalapenos just fine 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian I just like the color of the Fresnos. They seem to be a popular pepper and it surprises me they are not more prevalent around here. I’m finding I’m really happy and comfortable with peppers that are not beastly hot. I use a lot of chipotles so I’m excited to learn how to smoke my own. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    Costco dogs
    Las Vegas, NV

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Been watching Aaron Franklins Masterclass, there is a lot I have not been doing correctly.  I am looking forward to a brisket cook this week.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    tartar
    tartar
    Love tartar, only had it in Europe though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I may actually be able to farm this week
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    have this shrub that grows apples and reshoots from the ground like a blueberry. any ideas what it is

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    have this shrub that grows apples and reshoots from the ground like a blueberry. any ideas what it is

I believe that's a Japanese Quince
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    ColtsFan said:

I believe that's a Japanese Quince

thanks, that meets the description perfectly. prior owner worked at a nursery so theres all kinds of plants i never knew
    fukahwee maine

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    We used to have a Flowering Quince, but it never made significant fruit. It made a metric buttload of new shoots though. Eventually I dug that $%#$^ out, before it took over the back yard.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Seems like a few regular posters on here haven't been on in awhile. Anyone heard from @smokingal or @milesvdustin

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    edited May 2020
    Kayak said:
    We used to have a Flowering Quince, but it never made significant fruit. It made a metric buttload of new shoots though. Eventually I dug that $%#$^ out, before it took over the back yard.

this ones in a zone 4/5 in the shade in maine, im surprised its even surviving let alone flowering the way it does
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Ikapigian - I enjoy every one of your cured meat posts.  Incredible skill-set and patience to consistently nail the outcomes.  That is an off the chain looking project right there.
    Be well-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lousubcap said:
    @Ikapigian - I enjoy every one of your cured meat posts.  Incredible skill-set and patience to consistently nail the outcomes.  That is an off the chain looking project right there.
    Be well-
    Much appreciated @lousubcap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian