Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post Your Thanksgiving Pic's Here!!

Options
124»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @hapster‌
    Brother the ham was a simple precooked spiral cut ham. I like to add additional smoke to them so that said I ran this one at 275 degrees over very heavy oak and pecan wood until a internal of 120 degrees. At this point I ran the smoker up to 425 degrees and painted the ham with the Jack Daniels and brown sugar glaze. I ran the glazed ham at 425 degrees for 15 minutes to just melt and set the glaze. Total time counting the 15 minutes at 425 was 2 hours on the dot. Hap you can shorten this time considerably by running at 325 degrees instead of 275. I ran the 275 just so I could really pour on the smoke. And thank you for the kind words my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sgh - details on smoke and baste please.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    The baste is simply 1 cup of Jack Daniels whiskey mixed with 1 cup of lite brown sugar. Nothing else. For smoke I ran Unit #6 exclusively on a 50/50 mix of oak and pecan splits. I did use 5 pounds of Rockwood to get the wood burning but it was long gone before I added the ham. The Jack & sugar glaze has a very unique taste that I really enjoy on smoked ham.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh I'm surprised you could get the sugar on the ham after a cup of JD.
  • SGH
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌
    It's a little runny but I don't like a paste. The flavor shows up very well with this ratio.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @sgh - seriously thinkin bout this for the ham I'm cooking tomorrow Thank you for the glaze recipe

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    I really enjoy it my friend. However if you do not like JD it may not be for you. You can indeed taste the JD with the short set time that I use.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dude JD is my one of my go to drinks. I be enjoying a cup full right now. Do you boil the combo to dissolve the sugar?

analyze adapt overcome

• Gogogordy
    Options
    Well, we had a variety of cooks over Thanksgiving. We spent the holiday in Borrego Springs Ca, where it was nearly 90 during the day, and low 40's in the desert evening. I went "chuckwagon", with my Lodge camp oven and produced 2 fine pizzas Weds evening after arriving at our motel and setting up on its patio behind our rooms. This desert community is south of Palm Springs and east of the infamous Salton Sea, Ca. It's 70 miles from our home. My son brought his KJ Jr, and a gorgeous 4.5 lb prime rib of beef roast for Thanksgiving day dinner. He seasoned it to perfection, and cooked it to that same level. His lovely wife handled grilled veggies a'la a Lodge Sportsmans grill. We each brought our Lodge Sportsmans a Grills, for auxiliary use...breakfast and sides. We both have BGE's as well, both mediums but also each have KJ Jrs which are equally adept at anything our eggs can do, and easier to transport (Pay no attention to the motel-supplied former gasser now turned empty beer can collector in the picture) Sorry if there is no BGE coverage here....not this time for us, but what a weekend of fine cooking and dining out of doors anyway. Besides, isn't that what it's all about? Happy Thanksgiving was had by all,
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    No sir. I do not boil it.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Melhill3‌ Care to share your pecan pie recipe? Yours looks much closer to the texture I wanted. I had never made one before today.

@DMW, I don't know if @Mehill3 gave you his recipe, but I did a pecan pie in my 12" CI skillet on the egg. I got it from Southern Living and did recipe an a half to fill it up more and ended up using almost 2 premade pie crust to fill it out. I cooked it at 375 for an hour, it was good, but next time I am cooking it at 350 for an hour. The crust was a little overdone. My wife and I had another piece tonight and I heated them up and it was better. I thought it would have been too sweet, but it wasn't. Ingredients Pecan Pie Recipe Add to Shopping List 1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts $ 1 tablespoon powdered sugar $ 4 large eggs $ 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar $ 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature $ 1/2 cup granulated sugar $ 1/2 cup chopped pecans $ 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour $ 2 tablespoons milk $ 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon* $ 1 1/2 cups pecan halves $ Preparation 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; sprinkle piecrust with powdered sugar. 2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until foamy; whisk in brown sugar and next 6 ingredients. Pour mixture into piecrust, and top with pecan halves. 3. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300°, and bake 30 more minutes. Turn oven off, and let pie stand in oven, with door closed, 3 hours. *Vanilla extract may be substituted. I also cooked a turkey and some sweet potatoes. I forgot to take photos of the main for sorry.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.