Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Brother Tar just so you will know. I have a standing rule that I enforce. Before I allow a man to shake my hand he must first prove himself worthy by performing one very small and simple task. He must consume at least 48 ounces of beef before I shake his hand. Brother Tar this is a test I think you will pass with flying colors my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    This gathering had a fine collection of characters. Very entertaining to watch and listen to them mingle and  talk. Lots of accents that my local N.O. ears aren't used to hearing. But for the most part I could understand what they were trying to say.
    My biggest impression from the party is --- man these guys can drink, cook and eat. 
    Drink - Cook - and Eat < yes in that order. ;)
    I did learn by watching CenTex  live and in action prep,  trim and rub his brisket. Smothering it with more rub then I would have ever thought was necessary. I'm also going to buy a roll of butcher paper to wrap my brisket in instead of aluminum foil.
    I learned from Nolaegghead that even if you get caught up in having fun and forget about your brisket and run it's internal temp 40 degrees over the target temp, that it still comes out awesome.
    The single best bite of the entire event has to be....SGH's... stuffed pork with cream cheese and jalapenos. Wrapped in eatable netting.
    Brisket I have to give the nod to Cen-Tex.
    Nola's buddy made some bad-a$$ turkey, andouille gumbo.  wow!
    Jack the bartender made awesome margaritas. Seriously best ever!
    Pigpen and the Pork chops band was really great. Their cover of ZZ-Top Waitin' for the bus and Jesus just left Chicago was so good. 
    It was so much fun putting faces to the handles on the forum. It will change the way I read these threads and posts.
    Piney you're the best, I ate that tomato last night when I got home, delicious, Thanks!
    Was a good fun time.
    Lets make it happen again.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I learned that you can't put too much rub on and even add more during the cook if spots look then.

Centex said his favorite mix is

Table salt
    Paprika
    Brazilian black peppercorns
    Crushed pecan shells
    A dash of joint compound

I'm trying it today.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    image Take a look at everything the modern brisket pit master needs to practice his craft: brisket, rub, big knife, cutting board, aluminum pans, IPhone, Copenhagen, Thermapen, wrenches, ash tool, wire brush, stop watch, torch igniter,,, everything but a cold PBR... Bravo!!! =D>
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    Options
    @TigerTony‌
    Thank you brother Tiger. I put a lot of effort into my pork. It's sort of my pride and joy. It was a honor to meet you and I'm glad you enjoyed the quadruple pork.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @XC242‌
    The Copenhagen is a must. I'm glad that you caught that!!

Status- Standing by.

• golfandgrill
    Options
    What was the stuffed chicken? I'd love to try that!
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll say brother @SGH‌. ...that is the sharpest knife I've ever seen. Maybe next year you should have a knife sharpening camp. Damn thing cut while I was looking at it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    SGH that pork looked so good and i was emailed later how tasty it was.  Is there an ingrediant list?  Love tenderloin.
    Speaking of tenderloin we were planning on contributing two beef tenderloins and beef shanks for the cook.  
    We cooked two of the filets last night and topped them with the seasoned smoked marrow.  Our contribution even though we couldn't be there.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @SGH‌ will you write up a play by play on that stuffed chicken when time permits. I'd like to give it a try.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thanks guys for making my weekend, you are family and I appreciate you
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Biggest takeaway for me was how fun fellow eggheads are to hang out with. The Briskets were marginal due to fast and hot nature if the cooks. As many if you have figured out, there was not a ton of teaching going on here. A few questions were answered and I'm sure a few tips picked up buy people watching but it was a blast. I'll do them overnight next time. Also, SGH can sling the food! That guy was an animal. Cooked all day non stop. His vertical rig was amazing and made me mad jealous.

Really, really fun and big props to NOLA for putting this together. Hope this one has legs and becomes an annual event.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Licking Our wounds at the airport. Had an awesome time but you can slip in to "NOLA mode" very quickly around here. Is it noon yet?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

Licking Our wounds at the airport. Had an awesome time but you can slip in to "NOLA mode" very quickly around here. Is it noon yet?

What exactly is NOLA mode? Happy Hours that start around 10am? :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hapster said:

What exactly is NOLA mode? Happy Hours that start around 10am? :)
    Yes. And staying up until 3 the night before. Ya know, stuff like that. We were actually pretty good last night but got off to a rough start yesterday. Powered through it all with the help of copious amounts of meat and the best margaritas I think I've ever had.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you haven't had chicken skin slow fried in Wagyu brisket drippings, sorry for you.
    No F'n way. That sounds like something that belongs on a hooty tooty fancy menu. No way I'm missing the next event. I'll volunteer to stay up overnight and tend the overnight cooking duties.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Unit 1 off line and loaded. It's officially over my friends. See y'all next year.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I hope you are there brother. Now that I have plenty of time to prepare, I plan on doing 4 whole hogs next year. On the mini ;)

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Okay, when you have the spectators down-go ahead and give us a kick! 
    :)>-
    Sounds like a winner all the way around!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @henapple‌
    Brother Apple next year we won't be so pressed for time. There was a lot I would like to have demonstrated that I just didn't have time to do. I'm going to bring my Baldor hollow grinding machine and show how I sharpen the big breakers. A lot of folks questioned me about the edge I run on these knives. Will gladly demo how I do it. It reached a point just to keep up with the demand, all the final briskets were ran in excess of 400 degrees on Unit 1. For being cooked at such extreme temps I was pleased with them. Final consumption weight was 210 pounds of brisket, 65 pounds of pork and 23 pounds of chicken. Someone must have enjoyed it. It's all gone. Heading east my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    We had a blast, wished we could have hung longer but the 5am wake up comes too quick. Thanks for all the hospitality from everyone there!
  • lakewade
    Options
    Awesome time. Thanks to everyone, especially Nola! Will post more photos when we get home and sober up.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    Awesome time. Thanks to everyone, especially Nola! Will post more photos when we get home and sober up.

so a couple of weeks then?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH-being a numbers junkie, with 298 Lbs of meat (not counting the gumbo and other goodies) about how many starving folks did you feed?  (Please subtract the quantity you inhaled from the summary :) )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @henapple‌
    PM me your address. I going to stuff some of those chickens for you and brother Hotch. As soon as they freeze solid I will ship them to y'all with step by step instructions included on how to stuff, prep and cook. My wife says a special thanks for the PBR.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    There were so many walk ins from off the street and adjoining bars I really couldn't say with accuracy. I myself hand cut meat for over 200 women and 2 or 3 men. But the numbers feed was much higher than that. Much higher.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    To say I am incredibly jealous would be like saying the universe is kinda big. I'm glad you all had a good time. And I hate you. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH-your priorities were definitely in the right place.  And full props for the herculean effort to crank it all out. 
    Now if @nolaegghead advertises this (should it go again) next year-then I'm guessing that the meat load from this cook will be a drop in the bucket.  Standing in line will likely be the norm.  What a great event-and thanks for the play-by-play.