Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot & Fast Select Brisket Test.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Going to try something a little different than my usual method. Something's will remain the same but some will not. A quick overview.
Smoker-Vertical Reverse Flow Water Smoker.
Wood-Pin Oak
Select grade packer.
Full trim. I usually skip this. But for this high heat cook I feel it's a must.
Temp-375 degrees over 8 gallons of water until internal reaches 155-160.
Temp-400-425 degrees without water for the stall, finish and bark setting.
No wrap or pan at any time during the cook.
Target Temp=202-206 due to the very high humidity and high cooking temp.
I hope this works. I'm posting this now in hopes of anyone that has perfected this technique will offer advice and input. Feel free to critique my method above. I welcome any and all advice. Thanks in advance my friends.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,783
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing it. I modified a cheapo offset I have to a reverse flow, works good but very inefficient. Would like a heavy duty custom someday just to switch things up. A lot of custom smokers online, very confusing
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    Options
    I will control and keep 90-95% humidity inside the smoker until I hit the stall. Unless someone suggests other wise.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @lkapigian‌
    There are numerous excellent ones out there. Here are a few manufacturers that produce excellent pits.

Yoder
    Meadow Creek
    Jambo
    Pitmaker
    Shirley
    Klose
    Assassin
    Spicewine
    Lang
    Stumps
    Gator
    Backwoods
    Old Hickory
    Souther Pride
    Humphreys
    Rebel
    The list goes on and on. All are top tier pits. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Status- Standing by.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I have looked (and drooled over) the lang and klose, I'll check a few of the others, what do you sport?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    Options
    This is a very subjective subject but I will give my opinion on the matter.
    If you want a direct fired tunable offset pit then Jambo.
    If you want a Reverse Flow offset pit then Pitmaker or Shirley.
    If you want a cabinet I'm partial to Pitmaker, Spicewine and Stumps in that order.
    All are excellent for their intended purposes.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    If you want a hybrid then Klose.

Status- Standing by.

• lkapigian
    Options
    That makes it clear thanks again @SGH‌
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    or...get out your checkbook and ask @badinfluence about his peoria Meat Monster. I did and it's about to cost me some possibly recored setting forum dollars. that is one badass cooker.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    How much are they going for now?

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    How much are they going for now?

depends on the bling you get with it. Start at $8000-ish and go north from there
  • SGH
    Options
    To rich for this poor man. But they certainly are nice no doubt. Any advice on my hot and fast plan brother Tex?

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Glad to see you getting back in the swing my friend...
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother. But I may be fixing to flop!!!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

or...get out your checkbook and ask @badinfluence about his peoria Meat Monster. I did and it's about to cost me some possibly recored setting forum dollars. that is one badass cooker.

Pretty cool pit.

http://youtu.be/lJpMJ4YrLSs
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Wow, I'll say it's awesome @cazzy‌ .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it is a beast. 2" ceramic surrounded by 2 layers of 1/4" steel. Can cook 20+ briskets, 40+ butts and control it all from your iphone with a digiQ wifi without ever opening the lid. yes please.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy @DMW‌
    Any thoughts or advice on my above hot and fast plan fellows? I'm going to load the meat at 12:00am on the dot. Advice is most wanted and appreciated.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

@cazzy @DMW‌
    Any thoughts or advice on my above hot and fast plan fellows? I'm going to load the meat at 12:00am on the dot. Advice is most wanted and appreciated.

Nah, I dont want to take the chance of giving you bad advice. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    On this hot and fast thing I don't think any advice could be bad. It's totally backwards from my style of cooking. Going to give it a shot though. If I did the arithmetic correct I should be in the ball park. I hope.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    If you are out there I sure would like and appreciate your thoughts and advice on this high heat method.

Status- Standing by.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    when we do ribs at work we have a combi oven it stars off with steam then goes to dry heat then back to steam and finshes off with dry high heat (350) and  it takes 3 hours 
      dont know if that helps but it works here
    :(
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sgh, i am going to reccomend keeping the water pan in until she starts to climb after the stall. I feel like with the high temp you might dry the brisket out also i would keep temp at 375 through the stall for the same reason. Cranking the heat without water before the stall might lead to a drop in internal moisture. If you decide to crank heat at 160 keep water pan until she starts to climb
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH Sorry, I have no experience cooking brisket like this. Will be watching closely to see how it goes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jstroke‌
    I trial ran one with the water on my offset. While the end product was moist the texture was off. It was good but not great. It is my hope that my vertical being totally airtight that I can get away with dumping the water to attain the right feel. I'm going to watch the surface very close for over tightening or excessive draw and will drop temp to compensate. I may be wrong but I feel toward the end of the cook it's the massive amount of humidity that works so well in the beginning that becomes the culprit toward the end and hinders texture. Just a theory at this point. Thank you for your advice my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    If at any time you have a thought or hunch please feel free to share. This is a trial run for brother Nola's brisket camp. If worse comes to worse I can always start the cook the evening before and cook them low and slow for the camp. That always yields excellent results. Again feel free to offer any advice. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've cooked many briskets at 300 and a few at 350 on my XL egg. I find there is realy no difference in how to do it other than the temp.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @sgh wow ambitious cook brother. I would love to advise but can't as I have never tried a brisket over 250 but looking forward to the results.
    If I were to try I would stick to the 375 the whole cook call me chiken I guess.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    @travisstrick‌
    I agree brother strick. But my offsets and vertical cook much different than my egg. The reflective heat is almost absent on my vertical that I can get from my egg. Also the convective flue gas flow is much, much slower through my vertical. Fully 1/2 as fast. I feel my plan will work. Maybe not perfect the first time but I should be able to tweak it after this run. As always I thank you for your thoughts and advice my friend. Will let you know how it goes.

Status- Standing by.

• badinfluence
    Options
    Here is my meat monster and yes base is about 8000.00 after everything I added mine was right ar 11000.00. And some was blind but I am thrilled with it. I use it for large cooks.

it seems high but about what a jambo cost and the jamboree is not insulated.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    I have toyed with the 400 degree finish a little. Just haven't tweaked it to where I'm totally satisfied with it yet. Tonight will tell the tale my friend.

Status- Standing by.