Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot & Fast Select Brisket Test.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    That is very nice my friend. That easily earns the SGH seal of approval. Nice cooker for sure!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    Options
    @sgh I am looking forward to see how it turns out.

I should have stayed home and cooked today instead of going racing. Yeah did not do so hot...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    Where y'all racing at this weekend?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,601
    Options
    About all I would offer is that with the select hunk of beef you may be starting in a hole grade-wise such that wherever you land could be suspect.  Of course, if a home-run then you definitely have a winner and I should buy another big boy toy.  Thanks for the stepping up with the experiment and best of luck with the learning curve.  Will be waiting for the results.  And that @Nolaegghead camp will be quite the event.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @sgh I do sports car club racing. It was in rock falls il today at the airstrip. Yeah got lost on the track so not my best but it is sure alot of fun
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    Thanks brother. The reason I'm doing a select tonight is because at Nola's I'm going to demonstrate a flat cooked on my large BGE, a select packer and a choice packer cooked hot and fast on my vertical. Just so folks can judge for themselves the difference in the grades. We want to represent each grade respectively. Brother Tex is doing a prime and a wagyu.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    Just curious. Are those televised by chance? Would love to see you in action.

Status- Standing by.

• badinfluence
    Options
    @sgh oh no it is more a local thing. Pretty much anyone can do it as long as you have a car. No trucks or suv.

It's done in parking lots and such as we race for times. Fastest time in your class wins. I like It as there really is no way to damage your car if you are smart about it.

I run a 2013 Fiat Abarth. Pretty much stock only a cold air intake lowered 2 inches. But it is a really fun time

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    Sounds like a blast to me!

Status- Standing by.

• jmarbs21
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing this cook!
    Durham, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @jmarbs21‌
    If it flops I'm not posting it! ;)
    If it's a success I'm putting it on the local news!!! Just kidding, I will post it for better or worse my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• jmarbs21
    Options
    Knowing all your previous posts, I'm sure it will be a success!
    Durham, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @jmarbs21‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Looking forward to see your results here, I'm sure they be good!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • SGH
    Options
    @freddyj‌
    Thank you brother. I usually can predict a outcome when I'm cooking. But this is one time that I honestly don't know what's going to happen. Hot and fast brisket is really not my forte or specialty. I'm more of a 225 degree brisket guy. Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Tagged for updates. I've only done low and slow on briskets.
    Curious to see how this turns out.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Outcome :-/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Not to bad brother husker. Not to bad at all. Will post pics when I get home this evening. It turned out well enough that I'm going to use the same method at Nola's to cook two side by side. The 400 degrees and the water dump had me a little skeptical but it worked like a charm. May run 400 from start to finish next time instead of the initial 375. Keeping the humidity extremely high in the cook chamber helped me to pick up a decent amount of smoke as I had hoped that it would. I'm satisfied overall my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keeping the humidity extremely high in the cook chamber helped me to pick up a decent amount of smoke as I had hoped that it would......

That's what I was missing. It was there, just light

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looking forward to the finish... I'm sure it'll be great
  • SGH
    Options
    How it began. Just a big sloppy piece of meat and a hot, humid and smokey pit.imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The minor trim as it were.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The big vertical coming up to temp for this hot and fast brisket test.image

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thats it, I am moving to "just this side of Biloxi"

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The cutting skills look good my friend. You sure you're not part Sicilian like myself (ha). Only kidding, looks like it's going to be a nice piece of meat.
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    You are always welcome here my friend!!! Always.

Salt and pepper and ready to load.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother anzy. I think I'm a about a 8 way mix to be honest!!

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @SGH - That looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final masterpiece.
  • SGH
    Options
    The brisket loaded into the vertical with it locked at 375 degrees. I chose to use 2 separate 4 gallon water pans for this high heat test. Why? So I could adjust the humidity at will and as needed on the fly. Having 2 separate water pans gave me total control over humidity. I feel that this ultimately paid off in the end. imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Zarcon‌
    Thank you brother. I hope that it's a "masterpiece" my friend. If it ain't I will never live it down!! ;)

Status- Standing by.