Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot & Fast Select Brisket Test.

Options
12346»

Comments

• badinfluence
    Options
    @SGH Yes the kettle was also built by peoria cookers as well. it was like a 1500.00 option but i think was worth it. it is mounted right to the trailer.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,800
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    Money well spent my friend. I really like the addition of the ranch clone. I would have opted for the same thing if buying the MM. I'm picking up a new offset myself in October. Will PM you the pics of it. It's pretty nice it's self. Had a few custom mods done that I think you will like. Fine machine you got there my friend. Enjoy it!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    Options
    Would love to see it. Who did you get it from? And thank you I do enjoy the MM alot.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @badinfluence‌
    Ordered a Shirley from brother Paul Shirley in Tuscaloosa Al. I got the 30" diameter by 84" build with a added vertical. The wall thickness is 3/8. The vertical sits over the fire box and has a dividing "damper" so it can be used as a cooker or warmer. Pretty neat I thought. It's reverse flow not direct fired in the horizontal chamber.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    @SGH‌ I hear nothing but good things about the Shirley's. My question is, how long can you cook on a load of lump with that cooker?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    I don't know brother. Mine is being built now. I pick it up Oct 3. I will sure let you know when I trial run it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    Options
    @SGH‌ I'm thinking it will be in the 2-3 hour range? I might be way off there. That is one thing about the MMIF that attracts me. With the extended fire box you can run unattended for 20+ hours. The Shirley is a quality piece of equipment regardless.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    I did a good bit of looking around and I chose them. I was highly pleased with what I saw. They are starting to show up in a lot cooking circles as well. That's usually a real good sign.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    Options
    @SGH‌ Forgive my ignorance, but can a smoker like that use lump, or is it strictly a "stick burner"?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    "Par excellent" my friend
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I use lump in the MM but can use stick or even charcoal

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    It can be brought up with charcoal or lump but to maintain a steady temp it must ultimately be converted to splits to run proper.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ Thanks. I did see that on the MMIF video and some other reading. I was wondering about the Shirley.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    It can be done on the Shirley it's just not practical my friend. Due to the convective reverse flow design that they depend on they run much better burning splits instead of smoldering lump. But again it can be done but it's a constant battle and not worth it in my opinion.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Hibby‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. Glad that you enjoyed.

Status- Standing by.