Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options
    The XV-LTs starts around $500k

That larger HD starts at $1.9M.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,115
    Options
    First one I've seen in the wild.  Looks very cool.  EV on the tailgate was a buzz kill though.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,053
    Options
    Giddy Up!!!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,395
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Caught a horse in the wild earlier today- (must be a good day for wild things...)

BTW- given the option I won't take a stern shot pic.  It's a license plate thing...however if I find a unique one or that is the only opportunity I may break my rule.  
    Enjoy Cinco de Mayo!
    Some of us like to see those thicc sterns! 🤣

In these parts, license plates up front and back are mandatory. Some respect the rear end requirement, but keep the front plate in the cabin, ready for production. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,699
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations that’s within driving distance but I think I’ll pass.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Caught a horse in the wild earlier today- (must be a good day for wild things...)

BTW- given the option I won't take a stern shot pic.  It's a license plate thing...however if I find a unique one or that is the only opportunity I may break my rule.  
    Enjoy Cinco de Mayo!

In these parts, license plates up front and back are mandatory. Some respect the rear end requirement, but keep the front plate in the cabin, ready for production. 
    I used to worry about plates, but then I realized they are out in public roads and also people cannot tie plates back to individuals through legitimate means.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Enjoy Cinco de Mayo!

I used to worry about plates, but then I realized they are out in public roads and also people cannot tie plates back to individuals through legitimate means.
    What about through illegitimate means?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,552
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @GrateEggspectations that’s within driving distance but I think I’ll pass.
    Not sure Dothan AL has a Chinatown...   ;)  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,876
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    1.6 liter engine puts out over 1000 hp

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,572
    Options
    @Foghorn You must be in Maranello.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @lousubcap, yes I was.  From there we went to the track in Modena to take a few laps in a 488.  Unfortunately, at my size I couldn't fit into it with a helmet so they brought out a 458 that had about 1/2" more headroom and I crammed into it.  5 laps in that was fun. Highly recommended.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Foghorn That is definitely Better to be lucky than good right there.  What an experience.  You having one shipped back to Texas for you?? 🏎
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @foghorn

Very neat experience right there. I’ve heard great things. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    It turns out that they won't sell you a new Ferrari unless you are a serious Ferrari collector.  They define that as already having 5 Ferraris.  

They did this because people were signing up to buy a new one and selling them at 100% or more markup before even taking delivery.  So, if you want a new one you have to go to your local Ferrari dealer and buy 5 used ones and end up in their registry of acceptable customers.  

I suspect that there are ways around that, but none that are options to me.

That doesn't mean that I haven't been shopping the internet for used 458s just to see what they cost.

With that said, I can't see myself ever spending 6 figures on a car, period - but I especially wouldn't want a car that will do over 200 MPH if I don't have the opportunity to regularly drive it at or near that speed.  Driving that thing around regular roads would just be an exercise in frustration.

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    It turns out that they won't sell you a new Ferrari unless you are a serious Ferrari collector.  They define that as already having 5 Ferraris.  

This is the most Ferrari thing I’ve read in some time.  Enzo would be proud.

Years ago Doug DeMuro wrote several online pieces documenting his purchasing of a used Ferrari, what it was like to own one, etc.  Suffice it to say that even that initial process, of finding a used one to buy, is an entire rabbit hole of its own.  Ferrari ownership is a culture entirely to itself.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,053
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Ferrari ownership is a culture entirely to itself.

There is a reason why Jay Leno owns 185 vehicles and not one of them is a Ferrari. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Foghorn -thanks for the above as it is as JIC said "a most Ferrari thing."  
    There are roads in Texas where you could air it out but rolling thru the neighborhoods (nod) at lower speed and high RPM's would produce some great exhaust notes.  
    Safe travels-
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The exotics owners that I know buy them as a store of wealth, and because they can appreciate. Also, because they turn heads more so than because the owners are actually making use of the performance capability. 

A neighbour had a serious issue with the transmission of his F12 Berlinetta. Got it fixed under warranty, but I wouldn’t want to see the price of the repair were it not to be covered.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 8
    Options
    The exotics owners that I know buy them as a store of wealth, and because they can appreciate. Also, because they turn heads more so than because the owners are actually making use of the performance capability. 

A neighbour had a serious issue with the transmission of his F12 Berlinetta. Got it fixed under warranty, but I wouldn’t want to see the price of the repair were it not to be covered.
    I believe oil changes on these cars, which really have to be done at the dealership and definitely aren’t covered under warranty, tend to cost several thousand dollars.  

I want to say DeMuro owned his Ferrari for maybe a year or two and only ended up losing about $12k on it, net, but this seems to require being both lucky and good.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

I believe oil changes on these cars, which really have to be done at the dealership and definitely aren’t covered under warranty, tend to cost several thousand dollars.  

I want to say DeMuro owned his Ferrari for maybe a year or two and only ended up losing about $12k on it, net, but this seems to require being both lucky and good.  
    I would pay good money to sit and watch a Ferrari owner try to change their own oil. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Foghorn said:

Ferrari ownership is a culture entirely to itself.

There is a reason why Jay Leno owns 185 vehicles and not one of them is a Ferrari. 
    This is why I like Leno. He’s in it for the cars, not the clout. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Apparently, if you owned some Ferraris before the release of "Ford vs Ferrari" and sold them shortly after the release of the movie you had a several fold return on investment, a good percentage of which persists today.

San Antonio, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,546
    Options
    no one this guy about Ferrari's rules...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rek1yEC8XM

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,115
    edited May 10
    Options
    Some useless trivia . . . I was aware US presidents are forbidden from driving on public roads.  Learned today that the prohibition follows them when they leave office.  Ouch!
    *edit to add:  Seems Clinton can't do 3-pedals!
    "Sometimes, presidents find that driving can become a matter of international diplomacy. Bill Clinton, who served from 1993 to 2001, was in Jordan when King Hussein invited him to test out a Mercedes. Fortunately, Clinton didn’t have to appear rude in declining: The car was a manual transmission, which he didn’t know how to operate."

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Some useless trivia . . . I was aware US presidents are forbidden from driving on public roads.  Learned today that the prohibition follows them when they leave office.  Ouch!
    Glad I decided to not be president!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Glad I decided to not be president!
    Don’t have to be modest, Ozzie. We all know it was the one and only thing holding you back.