Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,577
    Options
    Battery died at the most inopportune time with no charging station around.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Did you get an EV?

@sheetmetalpete

Very cool vehicles. My B-I-L’s F-I-L has some nice whips, one of which is an original Road Runner of about the same vintage. Before my time on this forum, we were at a private party at his place and all his buddies showed up with crazy rides. Very fun day. Had I been on the forum then, I would have thoroughly documented!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The girls hate it when that happens.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,546
    Options

1.21gigawatts

when that thing hits 88 miles per hour, get ready for some serious $#!+
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    Options
    My sister sent me this today

its just a matter of time before you see a 6 inch lift and 38's on one
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,877
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Foghorn - I see you are making house calls.  Very nice of you.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    billt01 said:
    My sister sent me this today

its just a matter of time before you see a 6 inch lift and 38's on one

and chrome spinner rims =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,248
    Options
    A square body Chevy is still the best truck ever made. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Saw my first CyberTruck in the wild (in Durham) last night.  No pics as I was driving and it was behind me.  

I will say that they are pretty stunning in person.  Kind of like seeing a space ship on the street.  I still think they’re ugly af and don’t really get the overall appeal, but if what you want is people staring at your whip, well, this will do it for sure.
    Agree that they are not easy on the eyes.

Saw two Rivians this week - the first two I’ve ever spotted in the wild, IIRC. 
    We have a good number of those around here - I've been spotting them for at least a year.  My brother-in-law just got an R1T.  He loves it so far.  The reviews I have seen have been great.

I might seriously consider one for my next car purchase if we get a service station close to us.  At the moment, the nearest one is in Virginia.  
    Better get in quick before Rivian goes bankrupt.

https://www.investors.com/news/rivian-stock-ev-startup-lays-off-workers-lucid-production-forecast/

https://investorplace.com/2024/03/rivians-hail-mary-new-evs-unveiled-but-is-it-too-little-too-late/
    Good to know.  There’s a lot of uncertainty in the market for new EV companies for sure.  My next car will likely be an EV, but I’ll probably look seriously at models from well-established manufacturers.  It would definitely suck to purchase a car and have the company go belly up a few years later.  
    It all depends on what type of vehicle you need. Of the new EV companies the only one I might consider (with fingers crossed) is Rivian. I am somewhat anti Tesla due to turmoil in their office, they just fired everyone in their supercharger division for instance. General Motors has software issues that I would not like. Ford is having profitability problems because they bet the farm on $100,000.00 trucks. The Japanese companies are dragging their heels. The Korean and German brands are still devoted to selling EVs and most likely will stay in business. All in all I would take a pass on 2024 and see what 2025 brings.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    edited April 30
    Options
    Saw my first CyberTruck in the wild (in Durham) last night.  No pics as I was driving and it was behind me.  

I will say that they are pretty stunning in person.  Kind of like seeing a space ship on the street.  I still think they’re ugly af and don’t really get the overall appeal, but if what you want is people staring at your whip, well, this will do it for sure.

We have a good number of those around here - I've been spotting them for at least a year.  My brother-in-law just got an R1T.  He loves it so far.  The reviews I have seen have been great.

I might seriously consider one for my next car purchase if we get a service station close to us.  At the moment, the nearest one is in Virginia.  

https://www.investors.com/news/rivian-stock-ev-startup-lays-off-workers-lucid-production-forecast/

https://investorplace.com/2024/03/rivians-hail-mary-new-evs-unveiled-but-is-it-too-little-too-late/
    Good to know.  There’s a lot of uncertainty in the market for new EV companies for sure.  My next car will likely be an EV, but I’ll probably look seriously at models from well-established manufacturers.  It would definitely suck to purchase a car and have the company go belly up a few years later.  
    It all depends on what type of vehicle you need. Of the new EV companies the only one I might consider (with fingers crossed) is Rivian. I am somewhat anti Tesla due to turmoil in their office, they just fired everyone in their supercharger division for instance. General Motors has software issues that I would not like. Ford is having profitability problems because they bet the farm on $100,000.00 trucks. The Japanese companies are dragging their heels. The Korean and German brands are still devoted to selling EVs and most likely will stay in business. All in all I would take a pass on 2024 and see what 2025 brings.
    If not for the astonishing depreciation of luxury EVs (4%/month!!!) I would look into a Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo.  I mean ideally a Taycan Turbo GT with Weissach Package, but I can be honest, if I had $230K to burn on a car, it wouldn't be an EV.  Although, buying a few EVs would bump me up the list for a GT or turbo model 911.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,086
    Options

It’ll be a while for me. My current car has plenty of runway left.

I was looking at the Volvo and Audi SUVs that are EVs.  The reviews for both are pretty good.  

There is not an EV sedan I like, except the model S, and I won’t buy a Tesla with that jackass running the company.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yes the Musky One has crashed EV values. He slashed prices after he got federal tax credits back so it's a race to the bottom for him with his competitors. Add to that high interest rates on car loans and instability in the charger market, Musk fired his entire department in charge of superchargers very recently. General Motors wants people to use their in house navigation software(subscription of course) rather than CarPlay or Android Auto which are not supported. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As my father would say, it never pays to be on the cutting edge of consumer technology. 

We are just starting to see some of the issues with EVs: lack of charging stations and infrastructure (insufficient grid if all cars were electric), limited range, stories about replacement batteries exceeding the cost of replacing the entire car (complete with new battery), poor cold weather performance, etc. 

Many manufacturers have begun scaling back their EV operations and instead diverting those resources back into hybrids. Growth in the hybrid market is actually outpacing EV growth at present. 

No shade on anyone who has already made the move or is considering it; I just think that it is not yet clear to me that, at this time, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I would sooner wait. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I see the FUD is spreading even in the GWN. I could go into each detail but that would be more suitable for off topic. I will say that I am more used to hearing it from FOX viewers.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

I was looking at the Volvo and Audi SUVs that are EVs.  The reviews for both are pretty good.  

There is not an EV sedan I like, except the model S, and I won’t buy a Tesla with that jackass running the company.  
    I generally agree though I will point out that Volvo is a Chinese owned company and currently doesn't qualify for federal tax credits. VW is coming out with an EV sedan this year but it isn't eligible for tax credits because it will be produced in Europe. I think one of the Korean twins, Hyundai/Kia is coming out with a sedan but don't remember the particulars. Audi is basically a VW though it does have superior infotainment software. By SUV are you talking about a CUV or a 3 row SUV? In between?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I see the FUD is spreading even in the GWN. I could go into each detail but that would be more suitable for off topic. I will say that I am more used to hearing it from FOX viewers.
    Not every take is inherently politicized and weaponized, though the fact that you assume it does is revealing. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,554
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
     I am somewhat anti Tesla due to turmoil in their office, they just fired everyone in their supercharger division for instance. 
    Yeah, that musk laid off 14,000 employees (who weren't even notified until their ID badges wouldn't unlock the factory parking lot gates) the very same week he demanded a $48 billion compensation from his Board of Directors disgusts me to no end.
    I've always admired people who could start up and run their own business; super-admiration if they could turn an entire industry on its head; and downright awe for anyone who could disrupt four (or more?) industies in one lifetime: musk, and Steve Jobs.  Jobs was no angel, but musk's to-the-core rot just infuriates me.  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    No the original statement is revealing, not of MAGA allegiance but intellectual laziness.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,396
    Options
    No the original statement is revealing, not of MAGA allegiance but intellectual laziness.
    The statement was that it doesn’t pay to be at the forefront of technology as a consumer. Not only because of issues with the developing technology, but additionally, because it’s generally obtained at a higher price point than later adoption. Not sure how this could be misconstrued as intellectual laziness. 

This wasn’t anti-EV or political; just a comment about the early adopters bearing the brunt of the hardship.

If you interpreted otherwise, then I would suggest you not cast stones from your glass house. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    As my father would say, it never pays to be on the cutting edge of consumer technology. 

We are just starting to see some of the issues with EVs: lack of charging stations and infrastructure (insufficient grid if all cars were electric), limited range, stories about replacement batteries exceeding the cost of replacing the entire car (complete with new battery), poor cold weather performance, etc. 

Many manufacturers have begun scaling back their EV operations and instead diverting those resources back into hybrids. Growth in the hybrid market is actually outpacing EV growth at present. 

No shade on anyone who has already made the move or is considering it; I just think that it is not yet clear to me that, at this time, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I would sooner wait. 
    In the short term I understand the skepticism. But I don’t see any of the issues you raised as show stoppers.  I think the future is one with EVs, for a whole host of reasons.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I generally agree though I will point out that Volvo is a Chinese owned company and currently doesn't qualify for federal tax credits. VW is coming out with an EV sedan this year but it isn't eligible for tax credits because it will be produced in Europe. I think one of the Korean twins, Hyundai/Kia is coming out with a sedan but don't remember the particulars. Audi is basically a VW though it does have superior infotainment software. By SUV are you talking about a CUV or a 3 row SUV? In between?
    I like the Audi Q4 e-tron.  It seats five - plenty big enough for my needs.

Even without the rebate the Volvos aren’t priced all that far off from the same, so I don’t view that as a major consideration.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    We need more NA powered sightings.  Too much dancing around the basic themed intentions.  
    Regrettably, such offerings are rare here unless you count duallys and larger hauling thoroughbred horses, a few of which will be on TV Saturday. Go baby, go!🐎
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

Even without the rebate the Volvos aren’t priced all that far off from the same, so I don’t view that as a major consideration.  
    Basically the same as my VW ID4 , same battery, same drivetrain parts, better software. The 2024 uses a stronger and improved electric motor. The question is AWD or RWD, a question that you have to answer due to intermittent snowin your area.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,396
    Options
    My comments concerned the early adoption of the technology; I never said anything at all about the ultimate success of it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My comments concerned the early adoption of the technology; I never said anything at all about the ultimate success of it. 
    Yeah, no worries.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Basically the same as my VW ID4 , same battery, same drivetrain parts, better software. The 2024 uses a stronger and improved electric motor. The question is AWD or RWD, a question that you have to answer due to intermittent snowin your area.
    A lot less snow these days.  But I’d probably go AWD.  I’ve always liked having that in the Audis.  
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,715
    Options
    As the voice of reason on this forum, @GrateEggspectations made a perfectly reasonable post regarding evs. @Gulfcoastguy you had solid posts until FUD, I had to google that, your boomer is hanging out and I don’t say that lightly.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• billt01
    edited May 1
    Options

In the short term I understand the skepticism. But I don’t see any of the issues you raised as show stoppers.  I think the future is one with EVs, for a whole host of reasons.
     The most valuable "thing" on this planet is time, and until someone can figure out how to charge a car the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank and go the same distance....it will be a limited success at best. 

Not to mention oil companies wont let EV's take market share. They make billions of dollars with soccer moms driving their AMG wagons and their supersize suburban's.

When we see BP and Exxon trade off for electric power stations, people will take notice.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga