Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,070
    Options
    billt01 said:
    As my father would say, it never pays to be on the cutting edge of consumer technology. 

We are just starting to see some of the issues with EVs: lack of charging stations and infrastructure (insufficient grid if all cars were electric), limited range, stories about replacement batteries exceeding the cost of replacing the entire car (complete with new battery), poor cold weather performance, etc. 

Many manufacturers have begun scaling back their EV operations and instead diverting those resources back into hybrids. Growth in the hybrid market is actually outpacing EV growth at present. 

No shade on anyone who has already made the move or is considering it; I just think that it is not yet clear to me that, at this time, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I would sooner wait. 
    In the short term I understand the skepticism. But I don’t see any of the issues you raised as show stoppers.  I think the future is one with EVs, for a whole host of reasons.
     The most valuable "thing" on this planet is time, and until someone can figure out how to charge a car the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank and go the same distance....it will be a limited success at best. 

Most people I know who own EVs are using them as daily drivers.  They use them for transport to and from the office, primarily, and they charge them when they need to overnight in their own garage.  The time issue you cite really isn't a factor.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    edited May 1
    Options
    billt01 said:
    As my father would say, it never pays to be on the cutting edge of consumer technology. 

We are just starting to see some of the issues with EVs: lack of charging stations and infrastructure (insufficient grid if all cars were electric), limited range, stories about replacement batteries exceeding the cost of replacing the entire car (complete with new battery), poor cold weather performance, etc. 

Many manufacturers have begun scaling back their EV operations and instead diverting those resources back into hybrids. Growth in the hybrid market is actually outpacing EV growth at present. 

No shade on anyone who has already made the move or is considering it; I just think that it is not yet clear to me that, at this time, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I would sooner wait. 
    In the short term I understand the skepticism. But I don’t see any of the issues you raised as show stoppers.  I think the future is one with EVs, for a whole host of reasons.
     The most valuable "thing" on this planet is time, and until someone can figure out how to charge a car the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank and go the same distance....it will be a limited success at best. 

Most people I know who own EVs are using them as daily drivers.  They use them for transport to and from the office, primarily, and they charge them when they need to overnight in their own garage.  The time issue you cite really isn't a factor.  

The market share data set and investor dollar show differently.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

The market share data and investor dollar shows people aren’t charging their EVs at home?  Fascinating.  
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

The market share data and investor dollar shows people aren’t charging their EVs at home?  Fascinating.  
     The market share data and investor dollar shows people aren’t charging their EVs at home, because they don't own them...it isn't fascinating.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

The market share data and investor dollar shows people aren’t charging their EVs at home, because they don't own them...it isn't fascinating.

Yes, you are right.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    I read that Hertz sold off 20,000 of their EV's earlier this year for gas powered vehicles. Who would have thought rental EV's wouldn't work?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    edited May 1
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I read that Hertz sold off 20,000 of their EV's earlier this year for gas powered vehicles. Who would have thought rental EV's wouldn't work?
    "high repair costs"
    -Motley Fool

"Drivers returning a car don't have time for a 20 minute fast-charge if they are catching a flight"
    -Forbes
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,840
    Options
    billt01 said:

everyone i know with an ev are basically homebodies,work and around town. i pretty much would not take one to camp or off road most of the year stuck in tourist traffic in the summer and -20 or more degree weather in the winter. definitely a commuter vehicle for the time being. putting a lift kit under one may also be problematic if its even possible =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,213
    Options
    billt01 said:

everyone i know with an ev are basically homebodies,work and around town. i pretty much would not take one to camp or off road most of the year stuck in tourist traffic in the summer and -20 or more degree weather in the winter. definitely a commuter vehicle for the time being. putting a lift kit under one may also be problematic if its even possible =)
    https://youtu.be/QhhYj8uCluM?si=iwdDTkeedUs-hWog

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:

Right, so just to reiterate: if your primary use of the car is getting to and from the office, then the time it takes to charge it really isn’t a concern.

I understand that range concerns currently prevent many from making an EV the only vehicle they own. The same was true back when cars with internal combustion engines first came about.  You had better stick to your horse and buggy less you run out of gas before getting to the next station…

These kind of concerns will likely be reduced over time as battery technology improves along with the charging infrastructure.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    billt01 said:

Right, so just to reiterate: if your primary use of the car is getting to and from the office, then the time it takes to charge it really isn’t a concern.

I understand that range concerns currently prevent many from making an EV the only vehicle they own. The same was true back when cars with internal combustion engines first came about.  You had better stick to your horse and buggy less you run out of gas before getting to the next station…

These kind of concerns will likely be reduced over time as battery technology improves along with the charging infrastructure.  
    I am not in the loop on battery technology, so so am curious on your thoughts about energy density.  What is the theoretical energy density limit for current chemistries, do you foresee a massive breakthrough in overall battery tech/chemistry, and will we ever be able to charge in same time as fueling up?  10 minutes or less?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,840
    Options
    billt01 said:

https://youtu.be/QhhYj8uCluM?si=iwdDTkeedUs-hWog

the one with the tracks would come in handy for ice fishing but would be pretty expensive for a dedicated short season hobby.  my first car was a 4 door dodge dart that i lifted 8 inches from stock, was looking into a "needed" snorkel setup before i launched it 20 feet into the air rolling several times on the landing =) almost hit the bridge going over the highway.......had alot of time with it in the sandpits, betting that cybertruck would have a hard time following me, i once had the car stuck on a hill with all 4 wheels hanging several feet off the ground and it took several hours to get a jacked up bronco close enough to pull the car off, i had a 150 foot stainless cable to pull it out.    4 wheel drive just would have gotten me more stuck in the woods. i miss that car, had a 340 engine, did about 135 mph, could toss it in reverse at a hundred miles an hour and handled well off road.  it just didnt jump off a double guard rail on the highway too well.........it did get me home afterwards after cutting off some body panels with an ax though. i have not tried this with the rover =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:

I am not in the loop on battery technology, so so am curious on your thoughts about energy density.  What is the theoretical energy density limit for current chemistries, do you foresee a massive breakthrough in overall battery tech/chemistry, and will we ever be able to charge in same time as fueling up?  10 minutes or less?
    The current Gravity chargers that Tesla operates are 350 kW.  They are adding over 100 miles of range for every five minutes of charging.  

There is so much research activity in this space, around materials and systems, it is difficult to know what the (realistic) limits are.  And those are the only ones that matter.  The only certainty is how far the tech has come, and there have been huge strides over the past two decades. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,336
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hertz didn’t bother to train their personnel how to maintain EVs or how to instruct renters on basic functions. I once saw a person in a Tesla staring at a fast charger like a chimp staring at a computer. He asked me how he could charge there and I told him that he couldn’t without an adapter. He had rented it to “try it out” . No instructions on how the car can find and direct him to a charger. Hertz goofed up by having both Teslas and non Tesla EVs to rent. As to charging 9 out of 10 times I pull into the house, get out, plug in, go watch tv or sleep. I do stay within a 100 miles radius of the house like most people actually do if they are honest. I have taken a 4000 mile trip through the southwest and 2 trips from the Gulfcoast to eastern Tennessee without significant problems, apps on my phone like PlugShare direct me to the next charger. Expenses? Normally electricity runs me about 4 cents a mile, changed tires once and a windshield once( thanks Houston).
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:  

Electric car from 1929!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8yuBsDRl0
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    I'll just leave this here:  

Electric car from 1929!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8yuBsDRl0
    Haha, well played.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,711
    Options
    Electric cars are effed for the next four years. Gas prices are going to drop.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,711
    Options
    Federal funding will be cut.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Electric cars are effed for the next four years. Gas prices are going to drop.
    Sounds totally legit guys, I dunno.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,546
    Options
    The basic challenge with EV's and NA engines is that neither camp wants to move to a middle ground as mentioned in the above linked video.  That is not a surprise given how divided we are across the spectrum. 
    Compromise may become the newest member of George Carlin 7 dirty words list (linked here-enjoy).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 701
    Options
    billt01 said:

Not if @GrateEggspectations gets elected. Has no one even noticed that this is his thread and it isn't about rare earth elements? Tsk tsk tsk
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Elijah said:
    billt01 said:

Not if @GrateEggspectations gets elected. Has no one even noticed that this is his thread and it isn't about rare earth elements? Tsk tsk tsk

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 701
    Options
    Oh just joking about @GrateEggspectations making a valid point and it turning into something. A EV was suggested on a recent trip. I have no desire to seek out a place to charge with a rental. Gave me flashbacks to trying to find a self service gas station in Italy that took a credit card. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,369
    Options
    Checking my calendar................. nope, it's actually not Friday.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    I'm jealous if @ColtsFan gets to see sweet whips like this everyday in Indiana. I didn't even know Honda Civics were allowed to have truck nutz. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 3
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Pretty amazing battery and drivetrain tech in Formula E.

https://youtu.be/YA0tDh7djRc?si=k54qOrsWYy7Ccj2f

to bad it is damn near impossible to watch in the US, unless you use a VPN.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,239
    Options
    That Aston is uninspiring. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Fun day of truck spotting. These Earthroamers were huge and hugerer.  The Cybertruck didn’t look as bad in person, it was much smaller than I thought.  Almost a mid-size truck, which makes the proportions not look so ungainly.