Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    poster said:
    caliking said:
    I’m calling BS on this one.  There is a very popular Anova SV recipe for rosemary-garlic mashed potatoes that calls for fresh garlic in the bag.  You do it at fairly high temps for 90 minutes.  The garlic turns into paste that basically melts away into the potatoes.  It’s delicious.

My guess is the risk of botulism is quite low, and is much more likely under longer times and at lower temps.  In other words, I think there are certainly SV recipes using fresh garlic that are perfectly safe.  I’ll see what I can dig up later.

And the notion that garlic powder always yields better flavor also seems like heresy.  I mean I think it has its place too, and I use it, but… come on.  Tell that to @caliking and he will demand you hand over your chef card.  
    I've come across this before, and think its SV superstition/lore.

I think the concern was/is that fresh garlic may turn a weird color (green?), or have a bitter flavor. I haven't made the Anova SV mashed potatoes recipe above, but I have taken the plunge, and tried raw garlic in the SV bag a time or two. Turned out fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use fresh garlic.

And, no... garlic powder does not yield better flavor. Its made for people who don't usually have enough fresh garlic on hand :smiley:

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere and have seen it a few times as part of kitchen prep tips, but I’ve taken to blending cloves with some oil and then freezing in ice cube trays. Pretty convenient to have at the ready. Especially simple if you buy the giant tubs of peeled garlic cloves from Costco (cheating, I know). 
    I don’t think those tubs of peeled garlic are cheating.  There’s no extra flavor in garlic you peeled yourself.  @caliking actually introduced me to those things, just as he was pouring the entire thing into some recipe he was making.  It was a revelation.
    As long as you don't get the Chinese sourced stuff which seems to be the case here. I froze some once, the milk and orange juice in the fridge side did have a hint of garlic after.
    I don't understand the problem here...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    One big difference I always notice with fresh garlic vs the tubs: cutting nice, fresh garlic leaves my hands and knife coated in a tacky residue (apparently, sulfur) and seems more pungent (leaves my hands smelling despite repeated washings), whereas I never get this from the stuff in the tubs. 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I’m rather partial to fresh garlic but do recognize the convenience of prepared options. That being said, I’ve got a trick for you @GrateEggspectations.  Lingering garlic smells will vanish by running your fingers/hands over stainless steel.  I typically, wash my knife under running water while running my fingers along the knife body (avoid the blade). Conversely, stroke the stainless steel faucet spout with your wet and soapy hands. Both options will completely eliminate all garlic smells. 
    IL 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    I’m calling BS on this one.  There is a very popular Anova SV recipe for rosemary-garlic mashed potatoes that calls for fresh garlic in the bag.  You do it at fairly high temps for 90 minutes.  The garlic turns into paste that basically melts away into the potatoes.  It’s delicious.

My guess is the risk of botulism is quite low, and is much more likely under longer times and at lower temps.  In other words, I think there are certainly SV recipes using fresh garlic that are perfectly safe.  I’ll see what I can dig up later.

And the notion that garlic powder always yields better flavor also seems like heresy.  I mean I think it has its place too, and I use it, but… come on.  Tell that to @caliking and he will demand you hand over your chef card.  
    I've come across this before, and think its SV superstition/lore.

I think the concern was/is that fresh garlic may turn a weird color (green?), or have a bitter flavor. I haven't made the Anova SV mashed potatoes recipe above, but I have taken the plunge, and tried raw garlic in the SV bag a time or two. Turned out fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use fresh garlic.

And, no... garlic powder does not yield better flavor. Its made for people who don't usually have enough fresh garlic on hand :smiley:

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere and have seen it a few times as part of kitchen prep tips, but I’ve taken to blending cloves with some oil and then freezing in ice cube trays. Pretty convenient to have at the ready. Especially simple if you buy the giant tubs of peeled garlic cloves from Costco (cheating, I know). 
    I don’t think those tubs of peeled garlic are cheating.  There’s no extra flavor in garlic you peeled yourself.  @caliking actually introduced me to those things, just as he was pouring the entire thing into some recipe he was making.  It was a revelation.

they dont store that well, dumping the whole thing in seams is logical
    It keeps pretty well in the fridge. My dealer (aka the Indian store by me) repackages bulk peeled garlic into 2-3 cup portions. Cut slits in the bag, and keep the top of the baggie open. The more it can breathe, the less moldy garlic you'll have. Lasts ~3 weeks this way. 

the store here sells in sealed plastic tubs, ill try slicing holes in it next time. in the container it browns fairly quick. i really only buy it this way when making something like a lechon asado that needs 30 cloves or more which isnt too often. i was growing some kind of purple russian garlic but the area over grew after a few years, time to prep another bed, it was some seriously strong garlic that stored well hanging in an old onion bag
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ice cubes pick up the garlic smell in the freezer, not good in a gin and tonic......well maybe if pasta was served on the side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I’m rather partial to fresh garlic but do recognize the convenience of prepared options. That being said, I’ve got a trick for you @GrateEggspectations.  Lingering garlic smells will vanish by running your fingers/hands over stainless steel.  I typically, wash my knife under running water while running my fingers along the knife body (avoid the blade). Conversely, stroke the stainless steel faucet spout with your wet and soapy hands. Both options will completely eliminate all garlic smells. 
    Thanks. Yes, have used that in the past with some success. Good reminder. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,984
    Options
    As long as you’re not using jarlic, I’m OK with whatever approach you prefer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    caliking said:
    It keeps pretty well in the fridge. My dealer (aka the Indian store by me) repackages bulk peeled garlic into 2-3 cup portions. Cut slits in the bag, and keep the top of the baggie open. The more it can breathe, the less moldy garlic you'll have. Lasts ~3 weeks this way. 
    Infusing whole fridge load of food with open bag of garlic bulbs constantly, that's next level
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I can't be the only one to be slightly turned on by this. Lucky faucet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    This is a family forum guys.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,984
    Options
    This is a family forum guys.
    DISAGREE
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    NDG said:
    VDAY reverse sear tenderloin ( lots of creamed spinach I know  :s  it’s my fav ) 
    Great cook excepting too much green but your cook, your banquet.  Nailed that cook and $$ shot.  
    That potato deserves top shelf mention.  Beauty right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Canugghead - May have been a quick cook that turned out some sweet chix legs but the prep work for those lollipops is labourious (nod).  Well done!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap, should have mentioned they were dug out of the freezer couple of days prior. 
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Went to through some steaks on and apparently I forgot about some jalapeño poppers from Super Bowl.  They were very light and sounded like glass when you tapped them.

Welcome to the club-He!! I have been known to throw them on, consume and only realize the damages the next AM.  
    You may have some fire starters right there-or lump lite! =)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Went to through some steaks on and apparently I forgot about some jalapeño poppers from Super Bowl.  They were very light and sounded like glass when you tapped them.

Sorta resembles @mickey wings

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Sorta resembles @mickey wings
    Yes…. Just a few order of magnitudes too rare. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @poster - sweet move with the oysters.  Eating well for sure.  No problem keeping the beer cold!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @poster - sweet move with the oysters.  Eating well for sure.  No problem keeping the beer cold!
    No, lots of effort to keep it from freezing though, or exploding on the ride in! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Melinda's sauces are pretty good across the board.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk