Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Bellavista52
    Options
      I never thought of it that way, but I see the point.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Corv said:
    This is my second cook on my new Large. The first one was a whole chicken on the Joetiseorie.
    This one is the first non-rotisserie  cook. I’ve got a tri-tip going. I’d cooked lots of these on my previous Medium before it was broken; it's probably my favorite steak. Here’s the trip-tip on the cast iron grate. It’s the first time for that grate, too, of course.
    After resting for 45 minutes, salted, while the LBGE heated up, the tri-tip was seared at 600 for 2 minutes per side - this was the first time I had the Large above 400 - and then cooked at 375-400 for 4 minutes per side until it reached 132 internal. I let it rest for plenty of time and then put it in the fridge. The next day, I removed it and sliced it for sandwiches while it was still cold.
    I set the slicer for 1.5mm.
    Naturally, I had some on sourdough with mayo, salt and garlic powder. It sure was good!

Well played!    Tri tip is one of my favorites.   Never intentionally done one for next day sandwiches but have repurposed leftovers for exactly that.   Looks wonderful.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    Options
    @Corv Creative cook right there.  The sliced pic is great.  Way to work your LBGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 377
    Options
    It was either -4 or -6 or -7 when I went out to get the paper this morning, depending upon which thermometer to believe. No outside cooking here today!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,563
    edited January 13
    Options
    Damn @DoubleEgger Now I want to visit the local Iranian supermarkets to kick the tires on the real McCoy, not made in China imitation. OTOH the hacker in me is thinking: can I modify one of our many rice cookers to produce the crust? 
    Edit: Also wondering...cook rice in IP, when ready turn it to Saute and figure out the duration by trials and errors!
    Edit2: https://www.foodnetwork.ca/article/instant-pot-sticky-rice/
    canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,219
    Options
    Damn @DoubleEgger Now I want to visit the local Iranian supermarkets to kick the tires on the real McCoy, not made in China imitation. OTOH the hacker in me is thinking: can I modify one of our many rice cookers to produce the crust? 
    Edit: Also wondering...cook rice in IP, when ready turn it to Saute and figure out the duration by trials and errors!
    Edit2: https://www.foodnetwork.ca/article/instant-pot-sticky-rice/
    You can get the tahdig in a large nonstick pot. Most of the recipes I found involved using the pot. I bought the cooker because I didn’t have a nonstick pot. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,499
    Options
    DoubleEgger said:
    You can get the tahdig in a large nonstick pot. Most of the recipes I found involved using the pot. I bought the cooker because I didn’t have a nonstick pot. 
    I saw a method to do it in a pot, I think in Cooks Illustrated, but it was kind've involved, balling the rice up in the center, poking holes into it with your fingertip, etc.  Haven't tried it myself yet.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Why do you need two ash removal tools? And who cares if the Benzomatic hit the deck since it comes with lifetime warranty, right  ;)
    canuckland
  • Campbell2N
    Options
    This one’s for @Canugghead.

I am very jealous of your setup. For real looks like a lot like what I saw on my work trips in Europe. Tons of snow here too the last two days! What are you cooking?
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 37
    edited January 14
    Options

Whole wheat sourdough loaf. Has flaws but will eat. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    By my better half. Ramen in shrimp shell broth, with homemade shrimp wonton and chili oil.

I would crush that-kinda like everything you post here.  Congrats to your better half.  Nailed that cook and presentation.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @lousubcap thank you kindly...better be lucky than good :)
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,499
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Texas paella. With homemade venison bratwurst we made 81 pounds today), fajita chicken, competition style pork ribs, a short rib broth and a beef rib on top.  

Just.... dayam....

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Texas paella. With homemade venison bratwurst we made 81 pounds today), fajita chicken, competition style pork ribs, a short rib broth and a beef rib on top.  

Wow, that looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 946
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Way to bring it home! That is quite a photo right there! Meat lovers dish...
    My take on paella is just like pizza and the dough, get the rice right and then anything goes. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,219
    edited January 14
    Options
    Lots of awesome in those pics @Foghorn. Need a love button. Likes don’t do this proper justice. 

I can’t stop laughing at the “Come at me Bro” look on her face while wielding the knife. 

• lousubcap
    edited January 14
    Options
    @Foghorn - Wow, just wow.  What a day.  Go big or go home right there. 
    Edit-37 inch pan means one he!! of a paella cooker.  Pure Texas style! 🥘