Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,326
    Botch said:
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:

EV batteries are typically 50-100 kWh.  So 100 kWh in 10 minutes is 600 kWh.  Divided by 240 Volts gives 2500 Amps at 100% efficiency.   That rate would seem to need a electrical substation when time to recharge.  What am I missing here?
    Not a thing, except that I'm an ME who didn't do well in his EE class.  I'll stop posting such things that I don't understand fully.  

@Botch - My intent was to get further details about the incredible claims made by Toyota as reported in that article, since the author neglected them.  My takeaway was the vehicle could travel 600+ miles, charge for 10 minutes, then be ready for another 600+ miles.  If accurate, it would be nice to learn how that is being done.
    I hope you continue to post interesting things, even if not fully understood.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 417
    edited July 2023
    I have a Tesla Model Y which it gets about 3.0 to 3.8 miles per kWh depending on the terrain and how I push it. You can use that to figure a cost to charge, and if you know the capacity of a car's battery and the charge cost and rate, then the fill-up cost or time is available. This will vary location to location.
    Caveat, my car is very, very new and I don't have many miles on it yet.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,136
    Langner91 said:
    My BIL's cousin (seriously) has a Lightning.  He lives in a rural area in Illinois.  He had to upgrade his electrical service to install the 80Amp breaker needed for the home charger he wanted.  He spent over $5000 on that, but of course, that will vary for each person depending on their electrical service.

He contends it costs him about $15 in electricity to fully charge it.  That gives him ~300 miles.  So, the electricity part is very reasonable.

The thing that has him worried is that there is one public charger in the county he lives in.  It is at a Dairy Queen and the non-EV loving crowd continue to break the plug, so he can't charge there.  Of course, the vehicle assumes it can charge there.

I don't understand the deliberate destruction of chargers.  I also don't understand parking your truck to block the chargers.  Not just because it is malicious and mean, but because there is always someone crazier out there.  You get the wrong EV owner and you may have your truck vandalized, or worse, they may just shoot you.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    You travel in a much higher orbit than do I but that is not a new revelation.  
    So where do the hyper cars get parked...right next to your ride?? =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    You travel in a much higher orbit than do I but that is not a new revelation.  
    So where do the hyper cars get parked...right next to your ride?? =)
    Lol, I would love to get a chance to sit in one of those, let alone own one :)

My daughter is in Vegas visiting with friends.  She sent me the photo of the valet parking lot.  She knows I love taking photos of cool cars!  When we are driving and see something, she is my photographer.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    My daughter is in an apartment up town. She's the poorest of the.poor and she knows I love pictures of fancy cars too so sometimes she sends me pictures of her sitting on her toilet, which has wheels scribbled in sharpies on the sides and she's wearing goggles, squinching her face up and leaning forward like she's going really really fast, but then you realize she could just be farting,vafter all ... she is riding a toilet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Langner91 said:
    My BIL's cousin (seriously) has a Lightning.  He lives in a rural area in Illinois.  He had to upgrade his electrical service to install the 80Amp breaker needed for the home charger he wanted.  He spent over $5000 on that, but of course, that will vary for each person depending on their electrical service.

He contends it costs him about $15 in electricity to fully charge it.  That gives him ~300 miles.  So, the electricity part is very reasonable.

The thing that has him worried is that there is one public charger in the county he lives in.  It is at a Dairy Queen and the non-EV loving crowd continue to break the plug, so he can't charge there.  Of course, the vehicle assumes it can charge there.

I don't understand the deliberate destruction of chargers.  I also don't understand parking your truck to block the chargers.  Not just because it is malicious and mean, but because there is always someone crazier out there.  You get the wrong EV owner and you may have your truck vandalized, or worse, they may just shoot you.

watch out for the crazy ev guy

Premium Photo  Portrait of funny young man after electric shock with high  voltage

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    Botch said:
    If this is real it is amazing, and an absolute game changer!!!

something tells me this thing would have a mandatory "charge outside your home" disclaimer

I would be curious to know the circuit involved to charge at that rate..

that's a lot of energy being transferred in a very short amount of time..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Just a quick pic of this gal. 

• lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac will be all over that pic.  I'm guessing right next door... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    Am I that predictable?  A Porsche from any angle is a thing of beauty and worthy of being admired.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap said:
    Am I that predictable?  A Porsche from any angle is a thing of beauty and worthy of being admired.
    I agree but out where you live they are likely a "dime a dozen along with the new Corvette)" at least out and about..  You have photo sightings of unparalleled rare (to us flyover country residents) opportunities even above those of @WeberWho
    I get frequent dualies rolling thru with a thoroughbred horse likely worth as much or more than the exotic car but he/she is only one horsepower!
    Be well-

• lousubcap said:
    Your penchant for a big, robust back end is well-known…. And you have good taste!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    My uncle had a big robust back end. I only know this because I had to keep making the outhouse hole bigger, and he wouldn't show me his A$$ so it was a complete guessing game,. It turns out he had a disease that slowly made his ass bigger and bigger. I really should have waited until his ass was the biggest it could possibly be and cut the whole then,, but he was my uncle, and every inch or so his ass grew, there I was hacking at the outhouse hole.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2023
    These stood out at the FBO tonight.  Being a valet here would be so cool!

Aston Martin, Bentley Bentayga, Maybach SUV, Hellcat (looks out of place), S560, and an Audi.  White/black seems to be the color of the season.

Sadly, no Porsches to be seen.  Guess they aren't really good for running to the airport.

• @Ozzie_Isaac

Nice collection there. Got a white car for our last purchase. I’ve known some white car owners who have said they’d never get them again due to the orange spotting from the brakes. However, I’ve always found it’s easy to remove with this and a tiny bit of elbow grease. 

• fishlessman
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Nice collection there. Got a white car for our last purchase. I’ve known some white car owners who have said they’d never get them again due to the orange spotting from the brakes. However, I’ve always found it’s easy to remove with this and a tiny bit of elbow grease. 

have really only noticed the orange in the early spring after the plowing season, micro steel sized pieces from plows sticking to the clear coat. its pretty easy to remove with a light polish and a buffer. those harder brake pads may do the same thing wearing down the rotors, havent noticed it on my light silver metallic rover and its got huge brakes
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac nothing like flying about in a private plane and cruising the lot as well. 
  • Ozzie nice rides for sure. Isn’t that 2nd picture a genesis and not a Bentley? 
    Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie nice rides for sure. Isn’t that 2nd picture a genesis and not a Bentley? 
    Lol, you are absolutely correct!!  I screwed that one up!  Haha.

• @Eggdicted_Dawgfan Fact-checker extraordinaire! 

I’ve caught myself wondering about the Geneses as well. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2023

lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac nothing like flying about in a private plane and cruising the lot as well. 
    I wish I was the one flying.  Picked my daughter up.  She was visiting friends in Vegas.  We have a JSX hub here.  For $300 you can fly to Vegas on a private charter.  Skip all the lines and security.  Show up 15min before your flight and just hop on.

My 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman kind of stood out in that lot.  I think they thought I sent the yardman to pick up my daughter 😁

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,209
    The cheapest and the most reliable one out of that group. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Lol the only reason I noticed is because I have been trying to get my wife to trade her car in on that same car, but she doesn’t like front end. Secretly, my 2nd job is making sure Ozzie isn’t pulling our chain. 
    Snellville, GA

Lol the only reason I noticed is because I have been trying to get my wife to trade her car in on that same car, but she doesn’t like front end. Secretly, my 2nd job is making sure Ozzie isn’t pulling our chain. 
    Gotta watch that Ozzie. Next thing you know, he’ll be posting Baby Duck in the “What Are You Drinking… Now?” thread and telling us it’s Cristal. 🤣

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes that mistake.  

Although I am probably the only one who occasionally sees a Chrysler emblem from a distance and wonders if it is a Bentley...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan Fact-checker extraordinaire! 

Gotta watch that Ozzie. Next thing you know, he’ll be posting Baby Duck in the “What Are You Drinking… Now?” thread and telling us it’s Cristal. 🤣

are you speaking CANADIAN.......
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    From @Foghorn- "Although I am probably the only one who occasionally sees a Chrysler emblem from a distance and wonders if it is a Bentley...".
    Nope- I have made the same mistake especially if the car is in a non crowded parking lot outside a "respectable" office or business setting.  And even in these parts I have seen a few Bentleys thus my hope for another rare sighting. 

• @Foghorn

Like @lousubcap, I’ve also been guilty of that. Not our fault everyone is copying everyone else’s designs.