Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,218
    Teefus said:
    I was in Vancouver BC a couple weeks ago. There is some serious money driving around that town. We saw multiple G Wagons, Lambos, AMG Sedans, Rolls, Lexus, BMW, Benz, Bentley, Etc. We rolled past the Lambo dealer and they actually had cars on the floor.
    Was there on Feb (stuck four extra days due to uncharacteristic storms) and that was my experience too. Lots of sweet rides, but none photographed, I don’t think. Hope you also got to eye some of the incredible real estate. As you probably know, lots of significant foreign money floating around those parts!
    Yup. Lots of Asian Billionaires invested in real estate. There are dozens of high rise buildings full of multi million dollar condos sitting empty because they're only used occasionally as vacation spots. The median home price in the city is in the millions.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    @Langner91

It's not the first time I heard nice trumpet whispered behind my back. I'm not even a musician, but when I go to the bath houses it's always look at that trumpet, will you just look at that big trumpet. It's embarrassing when people look at you thinking you have this great instrument but it's just you and your giant headed weiner.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    edited July 2023

for anyone on here that likes to do 60 or 80 roll runs..if you see a lambo without a back bumper..leaveittheFalone
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,137
    billt01 said:

for anyone on here that likes to do 60 or 80 roll runs..if you see a lambo without a back bumper..leaveittheFalone
    Was looking for twin turbos, but couldn't see any.  This was in Salt Lake, home of many YouTuber car guys, including Stradman.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,209
    I'm not really sure what is going on here? It's supposed to be based off a Porsche 917. I don't believe it's a kit of any kind. It looks to be homemade. While it doesn't necessarily look like a 917 I'll give the guy a bunch of credit for putting his skills to work!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,073
    Nice plate lol
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Nice plate lol
    Good eye. The French definition of “faux”: “Qui n'est pas vrai, qui est contraire à la vérité.” (What is false. What is the opposite of truth.)
  • WeberWho
    A freaking unicorn of a vehicle. I have no idea how this thing slipped through the cracks and received a Minnesota license plate. It's not even old enough to be imported into the States. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2023
    WeberWho said:
    A freaking unicorn of a vehicle. I have no idea how this thing slipped through the cracks and received a Minnesota license plate. It's not even old enough to be imported into the States. 

My guess....it snorkled in thru one of your 10,000 lakes and the DMV didn't realize.  Or stolen plate.  I would love that diesel truck. 6 speed manual hopefully.... 

Edit - I misremembered....the 6 speed is an auto...was just looking at the googler.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    edited July 2023
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:

My guess....it snorkled in thru one of your 10,000 lakes and the DMV didn't realize.  Or stolen plate.  

What is strange is that license plate isn't your typical Minnesota license plate. Here's some info I could find with those type of white MN plates. 

It looks like a Collector plate. The description says, "Or a motor vehicle 10 model years old if no more than 500 vehicles were manufactured or imported into the U.S"

I believe that Hilux is a 2015+ design. Which wouldn't fit the guidelines for the plate or the 25 year old or older US import rule. The license plate frame city is consistent with the area. So it's a local truck. 

My best guess is that it came up through Mexico as the Hilux wasn't sold through the United States or Canada. Registration must have slipped through the DMV somehow and granted some type of speciality plate. I would have loved to had a chance to talk with the owner to hear the backstory. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    That's some impressive cosplay!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    Original Top Gun message right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    Wondering if "goose" plates 1 thru 6 are also on Ford Mavericks.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Saw these today, one on the way, and the others at the airport terminal:

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,807
    edited July 2023
    This fits more appropriately in the license plate/bumper sticker (?) thread, but posting it here because it’s convenient. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    If this is real it is amazing, and an absolute game changer!!!

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,326
    Botch said:

EV batteries are typically 50-100 kWh.  So 100 kWh in 10 minutes is 600 kWh.  Divided by 240 Volts gives 2500 Amps at 100% efficiency.   That rate would seem to need a electrical substation when time to recharge.  What am I missing here?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,073
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:

EV batteries are typically 50-100 kWh.  So 100 kWh in 10 minutes is 600 kWh.  Divided by 240 Volts gives 2500 Amps at 100% efficiency.   That rate would seem to need a electrical substation when time to recharge.  What am I missing here?
    Nothing probably 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:

Not missing a thing.  This won't be charged at home at peak rate.  Probably not even at a "gas station".  But make it 20min even then recharge at 20% up to 90% and you reduce the power requirements and time.

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 417
    It probably will be at a much higher voltage than 240V. Still, even at 800V, that's 750 amps - not trivial.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:

Not a thing, except that I'm an ME who didn't do well in his EE class.  I'll stop posting such things that I don't understand fully.  

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• HeavyG
    I see Toyota is also saying that by 2028 they'll be offering 900 miles range and that the batteries will be half the weight, size, and cost of current batteries.

Cool!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:

Not a thing, except that I'm an ME who didn't do well in his EE class.  I'll stop posting such things that I don't understand fully.  
    Please keep posting, I am an ex-ME who completely missed this story.  I'm not worried about the power draw requirements.  We can solve that.  I am amazed that they have a battery capable of 750miles and could theoretically be recharged in 10min.  That, my friend is the amazing part.

I imagine a high power charging station could use a bunch of caps that they charge slowly to quickly dump that power into your car.  Or something along those lines.  That would then enable the usage of current power infrastructure at least the power to the station.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    I don't own an electric powered car but what is the cost (average) to the charger today to juice one from 1/4 to full charge like a tank of petrol?  I have no clue. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    My BIL's cousin (seriously) has a Lightning.  He lives in a rural area in Illinois.  He had to upgrade his electrical service to install the 80Amp breaker needed for the home charger he wanted.  He spent over $5000 on that, but of course, that will vary for each person depending on their electrical service.

He contends it costs him about $15 in electricity to fully charge it.  That gives him ~300 miles.  So, the electricity part is very reasonable.

The thing that has him worried is that there is one public charger in the county he lives in.  It is at a Dairy Queen and the non-EV loving crowd continue to break the plug, so he can't charge there.  Of course, the vehicle assumes it can charge there.

Clinton, Iowa