Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pollo Asado tacos con salsa mocajete with homemade tortillas

Options
We have been on a homemade tortilla, salsa, and guacamole kick since TFJ got her mothers day gift from Masienda. Several heirloom corn masa from Mexico, and new molcajete. I have kind of taken over the molcajete and I’m (not at all) sorry. Tonight we grilled up some chicken thigh in my Sinaloa roadside chicken achiote citrus marinade. We made fresh 50/50 masa/flour tortillas, 2 fresh salsas and guac in the molcajete. So good! 

The salsas:

The tortillas:

The Yardbird:

The tacos:

The Kit:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking grub from where I’m sitting 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Pro status.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Bombdiggity!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Taking it to a new level.  Great eats across the board.  Great post!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Yeah!  
    I just got my order from Masienda, a bag of yellow corn masa and one of red.  Amazon offers their Blue Corn, but nothing else; I paid thru the nose for my two bags (didn't meet the $75 free shipping limit).  
    I see you got puffage on your tortillas.  By chance do you remember your masa/water ratio?  I've burned thru nearly an entire bag of "Maseca" masa, varying the ratio, the thickness, the CI surface temp, taking notes, and got JUST ONE tortilla to puff!  I've watched all the corn tortilla making videos on EweTube, they're all slightly different and they ALL get puffage, but I CAN'T.  I'm so frustrated about it, and even got a "keep practicing" message from Rick Bayless himself, but it just never works for me (BotchLuck™).
    Hoping this new masa works for me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Looks killer, Raichlen worthy!
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Yeah!  
    I just got my order from Masienda, a bag of yellow corn masa and one of red.  Amazon offers their Blue Corn, but nothing else; I paid thru the nose for my two bags (didn't meet the $75 free shipping limit).  
    I see you got puffage on your tortillas.  By chance do you remember your masa/water ratio?  I've burned thru nearly an entire bag of "Maseca" masa, varying the ratio, the thickness, the CI surface temp, taking notes, and got JUST ONE tortilla to puff!  I've watched all the corn tortilla making videos on EweTube, they're all slightly different and they ALL get puffage, but I CAN'T.  I'm so frustrated about it, and even got a "keep practicing" message from Rick Bayless himself, but it just never works for me (BotchLuck™).
    Hoping this new masa works for me.  

wifey made these but she does always get the puff. These are half flour/half masa so they are even puffier than just masa. I'll see if she will give me the deets tomorrow and I'll share with you.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    great googly moogly. I don't even know where to start about the awesomeness on display here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Fantastic cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    unreal, everything looks top level, so good !!
    Just curious what kind of cheese ?? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    unreal, everything looks top level, so good !!
    Just curious what kind of cheese ?? 
    Boars head Wisconsin cheddar. Always. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Fantastic!! Great post and pics😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    Sure did a nice job showing us the details and the finish, thanks.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • dmourati
    Options
    Ran to the butcher this morning for spare ribs then to Whole Foods for apple juice to baste. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a bag of white corn Masienda. Insta-buy!
    Mountain View, CA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Nice looking food. I like the molcajete- I bought mine from a jackleg Mexican supplier https://www.hernanmexico.com/  I bought two of them- both leaked and could not be sealed with grinding dry rice in them.

Masienda- did you take a look at their Molinito masa mills? I have had my eye on them for several years, freshly ground masa is really great, provided you have a place in the kitchen for the machine.
    https://masienda.com/products/molinito

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Forum Masa Project.  Maybe @alaskanassasin can plant a few rows of heirloom corn. Sounds cheaper than fancy hogs.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    world class work! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Wow!  I just had the privilege of waking up the the Centex ranch and having some of these tortillas and salsa as part of our breakfast tacos.  

Best. Taco. Ever. 

Great way to accentuate the first weekend of my wife’s “birthmas” - which includes hitting 5 Texas Hill Country wineries over 2 days. 
    Was an awesome weekend. Centex needs a nap. But he’s drinking wine again ha ha. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GregW said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Nice looking food. I like the molcajete- I bought mine from a jackleg Mexican supplier https://www.hernanmexico.com/  I bought two of them- both leaked and could not be sealed with grinding dry rice in them.

Masienda- did you take a look at their Molinito masa mills? I have had my eye on them for several years, freshly ground masa is really great, provided you have a place in the kitchen for the machine.
    https://masienda.com/products/molinito

You are not going to trap me on that one. I. Do. Not. Need. That. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Forum Masa Project.  Maybe @alaskanassasin can plant a few rows of heirloom corn. Sounds cheaper than fancy hogs.
    Can confirm. Pretty sure everything on earth is cheaper than fancy hogs. But I guess it all depends on who is driving the bus @20stone
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    It turns out a weekend of wine tasting with your wife for her birthday can add up to the "owning fancy hogs" level, even when the lodging and breakfast are free.  

Must.  Stop.  Buying.  Wine.

Good thing I'm going to Napa/Sonoma in August...

Getting back on topic, I won't have a breakfast as good as these tacos out there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    Can confirm. Pretty sure everything on earth is cheaper than fancy hogs. But I guess it all depends on who is driving the bus @20stone
    100%. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    It turns out a weekend of wine tasting with your wife for her birthday can add up to the "owning fancy hogs" level, even when the lodging and breakfast are free.  

Must.  Stop.  Buying.  Wine.

Good thing I'm going to Napa/Sonoma in August...

Getting back on topic, I won't have a breakfast as good as these tacos out there.
    That was not cheap but it was fun. Wallet bruised, wine fridge filled, sleep needed, would do it all again next weekend if you wanted to ha ha. 

• dmourati
    Options
    I had my first run at making homemade corn tortillas today. I was getting hungry so I dug out the Masienda package of white corn masa and went to work. I started small, 1/4 cup of the masa and 1/4 cup of hot water plus a dash of salt. I added a bit more water and then kneaded them up. Divided into 4 with my bench scraper. I already had a tortilla press. Turned these into a few quesadillas for lunch. I can really taste the corn. Mine puffed up a little bit. I like these and it was really easy to make the corn tortillas from scratch. Give it a go.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I had my first run at making homemade corn tortillas today. I was getting hungry so I dug out the Masienda package of white corn masa and went to work. I started small, 1/4 cup of the masa and 1/4 cup of hot water plus a dash of salt. I added a bit more water and then kneaded them up. Divided into 4 with my bench scraper. I already had a tortilla press. Turned these into a few quesadillas for lunch. I can really taste the corn. Mine puffed up a little bit. I like these and it was really easy to make the corn tortillas from scratch. Give it a go.
    That may have been my issue all along, I never went with that much hydration.  In Rick Bayless's recent video (just a couple days ago) he mentioned that, if your pressed tortilla had cracking anywhere along the edge, it was too dry (and I'm pretty sure mine always did).  
    When I finish up the MD leftover babybacks/home-made potato salad, I'll give these yet another try.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    dmourati said:
    That may have been my issue all along, I never went with that much hydration.  In Rick Bayless's recent video (just a couple days ago) he mentioned that, if your pressed tortilla had cracking anywhere along the edge, it was too dry (and I'm pretty sure mine always did).  
    When I finish up the MD leftover babybacks/home-made potato salad, I'll give these yet another try.  
    The Masienda folks say you should be able to crumple a corn tortilla in your hand without it breaking and it should expand back to its normal shape when you release it. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude, that is the money shots of my month, and you just flat nailed it in a single blow. Such a beautiful cook, as always, and thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky