Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    If you’re paying nearly $400/sq.ft. I’m guessing you’re not concerned about it. Lol
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    The HOA fee was a typo.  My sister had a good laugh over it.  I suspect that would limit potential home buyers.  I think her fee is really only a few hundred a month.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Newmark lab at UIUC

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Newmark lab at UIUC

They making a Plinko Board?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Newmark lab at UIUC

They making a Plinko Board?
    Exactly!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    and here i thought that they were pressing copper sheet into a fishing lure mold. something interesting......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    they get your right through @Jstroke ? we have a trip coming up soon
    I do precheck so it’s much easier. No issues. But SWMBO, went through regular and it was a mess. We had the time so it was fine, but even 6AM it was very busy.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Newmark lab at UIUC

I had to Google Newmark Lab UIUC.  Impressive.
    Are you consulting on a project?  Doing joint research?  Details please.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Regarding TSA and pre-check:  Since Covid the airlines could not grant pre-check to their best customers (whomever that was).  It has to go thru the Feds only.   So there is only one way-pay the initial $85 (good for five years) or not.  
    As an example-if you fly four times a year that means 8 trips thru TSA security.  You can do the math but for the value add of no hassle for that price point...
    Many here will spend more than that on weekend cook w/o removing their shoes...
    I'm not trying to sell it but pre-check does make airport life a lot less of a hassle.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    With covid, do I need that special str on my driver's yet for domestic travel, could not get that last time, just thru mail without one
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH - the bonus had to be quite substantial for 2022 given all the $$ your company(ies) are raking in.  I'm guessing that Carribean island purchase is looking mighty close to happening now.
    Above all, stay healthy and safe out there as that is dangerous work.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding TSA and pre-check:  Since Covid the airlines could not grant pre-check to their best customers (whomever that was).  It has to go thru the Feds only.   So there is only one way-pay the initial $85 (good for five years) or not.  
    As an example-if you fly four times a year that means 8 trips thru TSA security.  You can do the math but for the value add of no hassle for that price point...
    Many here will spend more than that on weekend cook w/o removing their shoes...
    I'm not trying to sell it but pre-check does make airport life a lot less of a hassle.  FWIW-
    Pre-Check + Clear is a game changer.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Trying to plan my day tomorrow around upcoming rain while listening to the dogs and my gf snore
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Awaiting final inspection interview with the FDA. That’ll be 6 days for those of you keeping score with zero infractions. This **** ain’t fun anymore. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Was it ever fun??
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Was it ever fun??
    My job is/was satisfying. Take raw ingredients and at the end of a day have a tangible tabulation of what you accomplished, both good and bad.

with regulations changing almost daily and companies requiring certifications with “rules” that aren’t actual federally mandated laws, it’s becoming a hassle. We’ve got to hire someone to basically put in 1400 hours annually on “audit management”. Can’t be a regular employee, someone solely dedicated and liable for audit documentation. Oh, and the audit scoring is laughable. It’s 30% facility and employee GMP, 70% documentation. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:
    Was it ever fun??
    My job is/was satisfying. Take raw ingredients and at the end of a day have a tangible tabulation of what you accomplished, both good and bad.

with regulations changing almost daily and companies requiring certifications with “rules” that aren’t actual federally mandated laws, it’s becoming a hassle. We’ve got to hire someone to basically put in 1400 hours annually on “audit management”. Can’t be a regular employee, someone solely dedicated and liable for audit documentation. Oh, and the audit scoring is laughable. It’s 30% facility and employee GMP, 70% documentation. 
    You should try making jet engines…We had to hire a company to come in twice a year for a week at a time to come do practice audits before our actual annual audit. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:
    Was it ever fun??

You should try making jet engines…We had to hire a company to come in twice a year for a week at a time to come do practice audits before our actual annual audit. 
    We’re doing the same thing. Pay 10 grand for a pre audit by a consultant who sometimes works for the audit agency to do a pre inspection 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As the saying goes-The gubmint never met a regulation it didn't like.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    You guys have audits that have beginnings and endings? Must be nice.  We just have steady over lapping audits with no end.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    bbracey21 said:

@Buckwoody Egger - Do you mind posting a link to that Spotify station? Always looking for excellent playlists. 
    Just now seeing this, enjoy 
    https://www.deadendbbq.com/about/
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @ColbyLang it does not go unnoticed that the audits start at your facility not mine.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    You guys have audits that have beginnings and endings? Must be nice.  We just have steady over lapping audits with no end.

used to do that here, they kept rising the prices and adding nonsense to the point that it was costing too much to do the job. in the end they had me testing light bulbs for lumens to prove i could see the part i was inspecting, signing off on it, full procedure, how each bulb was tested, qualifying procedure signed off and demonstrated infront of third party inspector etc, goal was a hundred lumens, my flash light was 800 with certificate. lost my mind when i found out these inspectors working for the national board under ASME were not audited. another broken system. 10k in code books every 2 years,20k for the yearly audit, 40k for the 3 year annual, plus the weekly mini audit visits.  atleast half the stuff they audited was just made up

fukahwee maine

• ColbyLang
    Options
    @ColbyLang it does not go unnoticed that the audits start at your facility not mine.
    Or past me. The restaurants have a whole different set of rules. No hairnets, beard coverings, etc. 

when they’re the last line of defense between the consumer and the food
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Or past me. The restaurants have a whole different set of rules. No hairnets, beard coverings, etc. 

when they’re the last line of defense between the consumer and the food

There is a reason they tell you to cook your flour before tasting it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @colbylang we've all seen the listeria and e coli issues with ice cream, deli meats, fresh produce, etc., but I can't recall ever reading about issues with bread. Is that a thing?  What are the big risks they're looking for?
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Legume said:
    @colbylang we've all seen the listeria and e coli issues with ice cream, deli meats, fresh produce, etc., but I can't recall ever reading about issues with bread. Is that a thing?  What are the big risks they're looking for?
    Of course the risk of pathogens are there. Possible, yes. Probable, no. We have a kill step called an oven. 

Last known person to die from bread in the US choked on it……
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Getting ready to leave for a road trip to Omaha, Mrs. Cooper has a Dr. appointment up there.  That means a late lunch of fresh seafood, to include excessive oysters on the half shell.
    Exciting for us as we're in a seafood desert.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA