Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    @colbylang we've all seen the listeria and e coli issues with ice cream, deli meats, fresh produce, etc., but I can't recall ever reading about issues with bread. Is that a thing?  What are the big risks they're looking for?
    Of course the risk of pathogens are there. Possible, yes. Probable, no. We have a kill step called an oven. 

Last known person to die from bread in the US choked on it……
    Don't give them ideas.  Imagine making a choke proof bread?

@fishlessman common sense is gone.  Big corporations have made doing anything almost impossible.  Makes me pull my hair out almost every single day.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - You just need to declare victory and cut off all your hair and then maintain the polished cue ball look.  Trust me on this...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Trying to keep my wife together.  Son in law sent a rather unpleasant email to her yesterday pretty much saying that he can't stand her, myself, and her other two daughters and that we are not welcome in his home anymore.  We are ok with that, it's just the fact that our only granddaughter lives there.  They live in Austin as well as her other daughter.  He wouldn't even let her and her other daughter stay at their house which had power, let alone take a hot shower.  He is threating to take his family, (as he put it) and move to the east coast so that we can't see her anymore.  Good thing I don't live in Austin.  Sorry.  Needed to vent.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    @colbylang we've all seen the listeria and e coli issues with ice cream, deli meats, fresh produce, etc., but I can't recall ever reading about issues with bread. Is that a thing?  What are the big risks they're looking for?
    Of course the risk of pathogens are there. Possible, yes. Probable, no. We have a kill step called an oven. 

Last known person to die from bread in the US choked on it……
    Don't give them ideas.  Imagine making a choke proof bread?

@fishlessman common sense is gone.  Big corporations have made doing anything almost impossible.  Makes me pull my hair out almost every single day.

first rule is to guide the conversation into an area that the inspector is not fully competent, and keep him there all day, dont let him guide you into areas that are problematic. always try and give him homework to take home and call him later in the week for answers. eventually they dont want to spend much time there. do everything to go off topic. present a simple and easy problem on a procedure that is easily fixed yet takes hours of their time, they are programmed to find something wrong....give it to them. inspectors are so concerned with the tiniest details yet miss the obvious, like i have two buildings, not one, how is it the piece im measuring is machined yet theres no machining centers in the building.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Trying to keep my wife together.  Son in law sent a rather unpleasant email to her yesterday pretty much saying that he can't stand her, myself, and her other two daughters and that we are not welcome in his home anymore.  We are ok with that, it's just the fact that our only granddaughter lives there.  They live in Austin as well as her other daughter.  He wouldn't even let her and her other daughter stay at their house which had power, let alone take a hot shower.  He is threating to take his family, (as he put it) and move to the east coast so that we can't see her anymore.  Good thing I don't live in Austin.  Sorry.  Needed to vent.  
    Geeez, that sucks. Something y’all did? What’s his wife (your daughter) say? Can’t imagine not seeing my child and grand child 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Geeez, that sucks. Something y’all did? What’s his wife (your daughter) say? Can’t imagine not seeing my child and grand child 
    Didn't really do anything.  They are the worst about letting us know their plans ie: Christmas and such.  So when they told us last minute after we prepared for them to come here for the holidays they decided to spend it alone with just the 3 of them.  We were genuinely confused a taken a back by that.  We questioned it and I guess they got their feelings hurt.  This guy is about a social as a rock can be.  His wife, my step daughter isn't saying anything.  My wife is devastated.  I think he is mentally abusive, but not sure that is a road I want to go down yet.  I am trying to let everyone take a step back and calm down so that we can all discuss this with somewhat level heads.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

Sure hope those Vise Grips weren’t for milking the goat!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @Canugghead

Sure hope those Vise Grips weren’t for milking the goat!
    Haha, it's to warn the billy to stay away while I milk the nanny, or risk getting his nuts cracked 🤣

canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    All of this talk about inspections reminds my of a previous boss. He would show up at my project every other Tuesday at 10:15 and stay until he found something that I was doing “wrong” . Eventually I would guide him past something wrong that was so trivial that he would look ridiculous writing me up. Satisfied he would leave and I could get back to work. I called it “selling wolf tickets” . I did let his boss know what I was doing though and they found it hilarious. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2023
    Options
    One shop I worked at had look outs for an auditor.  Auditor would show up, and suddenly everyone would disappear.  We also had badges with all the audit questions and answers on the back.  If a question wasn't on the badge you said: ask my supervisor, check my work instructions, or consult the employee manual.  Then you just had to show you knew who your supervisor was and how to find the manuals.

Edit: Auditor didn't care about quality of product, skills, or actual knowledge.  Just that all the boxes were checked.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I used to post hints every where In the shop. The thermometer had directions. Read thermometer, if over 60 degrees, weld . Big sign over it. Weld procedures, call engineering to discuss. I can't weld worth a crap, just stick things together
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    Options
    That is so tough to read. 
    While now is not the time I believe a full up face to face is the only way ahead.  Email and texts etc don't challenge both sides to lay it out there for discussion and resolution.
    Perhaps a neutral site in Austin with a baby sitter to manage the granddaughter.  
    As uncomfortable as it is it does force understanding and perhaps an amiable way forward.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    While now is not the time I believe a full up face to face is the only way ahead.  Email and texts etc don't challenge both sides to lay it out there for discussion and resolution.
    Perhaps a neutral site in Austin with a baby sitter to manage the granddaughter.  
    As uncomfortable as it is it does force understanding and perhaps an amiable way forward.  FWIW-

Absolutely no text or emails. Lunch with your daughter. Alone. My sister went thru this a few years ago with her now ex. No help, just listen, reinforce you have her back no matter her decisions. my ex bil sucks, don't know what I would do if I ever see him again after learning the things he did and is still doing
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    Options
    @lkapigian - that is living right, right there.  Fine groceries on the horizon.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - that is living right, right there.  Fine groceries on the horizon.  
    Thanks @lousubcap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    My cousins kid came last spring for a week, great kid but drove us absolutely bonkers. This year he wants to stay for 2 weeks, we emailed back and said 1 week would be great. She sends back a two week date window for dates or for the visit, it wasn’t clear. So I called her and told her we can only do a week with the youngster, she said that was fine and the email had a date range.. akward.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    That is hard to hear @Hook_emHornsfan_74 hopefully he pulls his head out of his ass and realizes family is all we have.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    edited February 2023
    Options
    What is it about crust that some kids and some adults don’t like?  Never understood it. The typical morning aftermath of my kids who refuse to eat the crust off their cinnamon raisin toast. My wife doesn’t care for it either.  I need to start composting. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    What is it about crust that some kids and some adults don’t like?  Never understood it. The typical morning aftermath of my kids who refuse to eat the crust off their cinnamon raisin toast. My wife doesn’t care for it either.  I need to start composting. 

I have to cut the crust off the bread when I make Linda a sandwich 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the top crust is the best part
    fukahwee maine

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    I like the top part best too.  I don’t want to get them used to me cutting it off for them, so they can just eat around it. Lol 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I like the top part best too.  I don’t want to get them used to me cutting it off for them, so they can just eat around it. Lol 
    Offspring 1 doesn’t like the crust either. She requested that I cut it off her sandwiches, told her she can eat around it or pull it off herself. It’s not a big deal to cut it off, but it’s just one of those stupid things as a parent you don’t want to budge from. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Make bread crumbs and use it in dessert recipes. e.g. apple crisp?
    canuckland
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Such a great place with a great group of people who listen to almost complete strangers.  We are taking a step back and trying to figure out out next step.  I agree.  I think a face to face, neutral spot meeting is what is needed.  Maybe even family counseling of some sort.  Thank ya'll again.  This place is amazing is so many ways. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Found a pit in my yard courtesy of the fiber optic moles. It’s deeper than the picture looks. Just played a round of “not my responsibility “. Left in the city public works hands since they issued the permit.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Found a pit in my yard courtesy of the fiber optic moles. It’s deeper than the picture looks. Just played a round of “not my responsibility “. Left in the city public works hands since they issued the permit.
    Put a skull in there before anybody shows up.  Maybe a skeleton hand just barely sticking out?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Better yet , an Indian Pottery shard.