Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Thanks as I once had a pour of an Army special purposed bourbon from a similar canteen bottle and it was very weak...Not unlike the Army!!!   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks as I once had a pour of an Army special purposed bourbon from a similar canteen bottle and it was very weak...Not unlike the Army!!!   =)
    Ha.   It is different, but in a good way.   I normally drop in a cube, pour and let it hang for a few minutes.  With this being new to me I sampled sooner than later and it changed.   I really enjoyed it after a couple mins.   Once the cube diluted it, kinda seemed boring.   So maybe it’s not a session, rather a pour and go.  

To each their own but it was definitely not offensive nor worth passing up.  

*as an aside, I am horrid with accurately describing any food/drink 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

have always drank with the light weights in nh, seems the number is low......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • If that map is true, then KY has a lot of catching up to do!
  • lousubcap
    I'm holding up my end of the deal and carrying many with me.  I can easily take care of my annual consumption in less than a week based on beer alone.  Would take a good 10-12 weeks to get there in bourbon alone.  
    Just helping the economy and industry.  🍺🥃
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I’m representing IL. well. With crime, high taxes, and bad winters we need some outlet. Lol
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • TechsasJim
    Texas could be under-represented here because of pricing. 

My buddy snapped this pic earlier today.  Look at the lower shelf of bourbons we discuss regularly on this forum.   The cheapest was $100 (unsure which, just what he told me).  

Wouldn’t give $100 for any of them, but they’re good at Msrp. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

My buddy snapped this pic earlier today.  Look at the lower shelf of bourbons we discuss regularly on this forum.   The cheapest was $100 (unsure which, just what he told me).  

I would do $100 all day everyday for the Willet purple top and the Yamazaki. I can get the bardstown all day everyday for $50. I see most of those on the shelves around here at “decent” prices. The buffalo trace products you have to be sneaky though. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

I would do $100 all day everyday for the Willet purple top and the Yamazaki. I can get the bardstown all day everyday for $50. I see most of those on the shelves around here at “decent” prices. The buffalo trace products you have to be sneaky though. 
    Sadly, I’m quite sure those two you mentioned are not the $100 offerings. 😁
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    90% sure that’s a green top Willet. If it’s just the regular rye it’s $49 here all day. If it’s the family estate offering, that’s a $200 bottle of rye, and worth it 
  • TechsasJim
    36 and crap outside right now May as well warm up from the interior. 

• My daughter is doing her internship in Chicago (West Loop area) and I worked from the downtown office today and met her for dinner. This is Nikka Straight from the Barrell. So very good. I’m going to have to research it more. Dinner was Tonkatsu (pork belly) ramen. Loved the hot broth on this cold Chicago night. It was delicious and filling. 

XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lousubcap
    Based on @pgprescott 's suggestion I have been looking for Doc Swinson's bourbon.  Found at a nearby Total Wine.  Before venturing out in the refreshing weather, I called the store to ensure availability.  Trust but verify as the eyeball check said 3 on the shelf, the store computer said 5 in inventory and the central system computer said 2 based on talking with a rep.  Not surprising...FWIW-
  • pgprescott
    lousubcap said:
    Based on @pgprescott 's suggestion I have been looking for Doc Swinson's bourbon.  Found at a nearby Total Wine.  Before venturing out in the refreshing weather, I called the store to ensure availability.  Trust but verify as the eyeball check said 3 on the shelf, the store computer said 5 in inventory and the central system computer said 2 based on talking with a rep.  Not surprising...FWIW-
    Hope you get one you enjoy. They have several different finished offerings. Both bourbon and ryes. I believe you are pretty loyal to the bourbon side so hopefully you get one to your liking. I’m a fan. 🥃
  • lousubcap
    The one I will get is the Alter Ego Triple Cask-the only option.  

• First time trying this.  It’s pretty good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina -what was the steer to try??  
  • lousubcap said:
    I stopped by the local ABC store looking for a refill of the Angel’s Envy rye, which of course they didn’t have.  Also no Sazerac, which was my second choice.

First time seeing this, I googled it and it had halfway decent reviews, and it was 50% off so I figured why not?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    I had a store pick Doc a few months ago. Worth every penny
  • lousubcap
    I will get the Doc tomorrow and give it a go.  If like the BBC offerings I will definitely enjoy.  An opportunity to branch out but it is quite limited around here.  Not surprising given everything local is limited and it comes from WA.

• TechsasJim
    @lousubcap
    at least you get to buy liquor on Sunday.     If I don’t have it today there can’t be Sunday bloody Marie’s.   
  • pgprescott
    lousubcap said:
    I stopped by the local ABC store looking for a refill of the Angel’s Envy rye, which of course they didn’t have.  Also no Sazerac, which was my second choice.

First time seeing this, I googled it and it had halfway decent reviews, and it was 50% off so I figured why not?
    The angels envy rye is very popular. It’s just absolutely crushable. Almost drinks too easily. Have only heard good things about redwood empire. Enjoy!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    @lousubcap
    at least you get to buy liquor on Sunday.     If I don’t have it today there can’t be Sunday bloody Marie’s.   
    We graduated to that enlightenment around 20 years ago.  I am well skilled in managing my inventory such that I am never in the dire straits.  
  • Speaking of Saz… cheers! 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Y’all and that high dolla Sazerac Rye. 

We can buy on Sunday. Post 11am
  • lousubcap
    @ColbyLang - Yep-you are at the origin.  Most of it now is produced in Frankfort, KY at the Buffalo Trace Distillery but the closer to the origin the more challenging to find.  AKA F' me.