Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @caliking It looks awesome to me. I'd be a magician and make it disappear in 2 bites. If the crowd got rowdy I'd do it in 1. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    edited January 2023
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Carnitas on the back patio.  Smells are worth the price of entry.t
    Recipe? This looks fantastic.
    Just about the easiest thing ever:

Pork shoulder or butt.
    Trim the hard fat off, but don't go crazy.
    Cube meat into roughly 3"x3" cubes
    Season with salt and pepper
    Put in in lightly oiled cast iron
    Fill up the cast iron pan with a mexican soda.  Either Fanta or coke that uses cane sugar.  Fill up roughly half way.
    Put in egg at 250-300 (either direct or with deflector).  Deflector is a bit safer.
    Once pork begins to brown then flip it.  The fat will render out and the pork with braise in its juices.  I usually flip it 4 or 5 times during a cook.
    Once it is tender enough, just break it up and shred.  Mix it in with all the juices.  Don't be afraid of getting some crispy edges.
    Very basic and always a crowd pleaser.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @ColbyLang I like the crème pots. Slick. It all looks solid
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @caliking - looks great so the taste must have been of the chart.  boudain and jalas, a winning combo right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    @ColbyLang I like the crème pots. Slick. It all looks solid
    Thanks. They’re 8oz jars. A little on the large side for individual servings. The wife and I split one. May be better suited for chocolate pots……
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @caliking - looks great so the taste must have been of the chart.  boudain and jalas, a winning combo right there.  
    Say it with me now…….Boudin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options

this winter my kitchen table has become the newest spice rack, might be time to toss some of the older stuff. just getting over run.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Looks like maybe you took some inspiration from our friend @rrp! Well done!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Cinnamon apple bacon pancakes 
    Whoa!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Pizzas in the snow. Have to hit the regulator with a hairdryer to get the propane flowing but we power through!

Nice pie, and if that doesn't say "dedication", then I'm not sure what does.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Cold here in the ATX... Smoked Turkey (leftover) soup
    https://easyhealthyrecipes.com/smoked-turkey-soup?
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Cabbage casserole

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @Acn. Would you mind sharing the deets on that.I think we would like that, no rush just when you get a minute 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    Options
    @Acn. Would you mind sharing the deets on that.I think we would like that, no rush just when you get a minute 
    I was just about to say the same. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    @acn, also interested in the deets on those pans please, was steaming involved by any chance? I'm trying to improve my steaming config for whole packer Montreal smoked meat without trimming.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    not too shabby @texaswig

• Acn
    Options
    No problem.  It is crazy easy comfort food; we fill a 9x13 baking dish about 2/3-3/4 of the way up the sides with sliced cabbage (that could be a full smaller cabbage, or 1/2 of a large).  In a skillet, we saute 1-1.5 lbs ground meat (last night was some ground turkey and some bulk breakfast sausage that we wanted to get out of the fridge), and add a diced onion, 2-3 celery stalks, and 4-6 garlic cloves.  Once the meat is mostly done and the veg is soft we pour in a 24 oz jar of a decent store bought salsa and stir to combine and warm through.  Then pour that over the cabbage, cover the baking dish with foil and stick in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.  After that, remove the foil, add 1.5 -2 cups grated cheese (last night was just cheddar, but this is also a great way to use up little bits of cheese in your fridge, as long as it melts well, it'll work) and put back in the oven for about 10 mintues to melt the cheese.  I didn't do it last night because it was getting late, but more often than not I'll crank the broiler on to brown the top of the cheese too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Options
    @acn, also interested in the deets on those pans please, was steaming involved by any chance? I'm trying to improve my steaming config for whole packer Montreal smoked meat without trimming.
    The stuff will steam some when it is foiled, but the pan the casserole is in is just a plain 9x13 pan.  I do put it on a half-sheet pan just in case there is any bubbling/spillage, but it was only on the perforated pan because SWMBO Jr made cookies to take to school, so the regular pans were still a bit dirty.  I don't really remember why we have the perforated pans, but SWMBO needed them for some reason, so we have 2 from a restaurant store.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to describe @Acn .
    canuckland