Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Nice bark on that one!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Impressive $$ shot right there.  Delivered quite a ring as well. 
    Deets on the cook-beef grade, post-trim weight, cook temp and time, finish temp when you nailed the feel,  FTC duration?  
    Beyond the above, any key tricks you would like to share?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,608
    Options
    damn.  excellent result.
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Impressive $$ shot right there.  Delivered quite a ring as well. 
    Deets on the cook-beef grade, post-trim weight, cook temp and time, finish temp when you nailed the feel,  FTC duration?  
    Beyond the above, any key tricks you would like to share?  
    Of course! SRF Black grade. 18lbs post trim. Post oak wood. Started at midnight, and cooked around 220-230 all night/day. Wrapped in butcher paper at around 165. Pulled at around 198 and wrapped and rested for roughly 90-120 minutes before diving in. 

All in all was my longest cook taking roughly 16 hours, and didn’t surpass 200 in the flat, but probed like butter. Turned out delicious!!

Brandon - Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pistachio crusted pork tenderloin with a white wine cream sauce, my version of Nola’s potatoes au gratin.  Came out pretty good!

Meant to say earlier that this looks ridiculously good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    I love the very causal mention of garlic, as if it was an afterthought.
    to be honest, it was. Had 3-4 grated cloves leftover from pizza trials (last night; dark outside; no pics) so threw them in.

Actually paused for a nanosecond to ask myself, " would garlic work in this?", and then almost passed out from laughing so hard.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Leopoldstoch - many thanks for the info.  Livin large right there and well deserved.
    And the key piece that all should take away-the feel for the win.  198*F on this SRF beauty when victory was declared.  
  • caliking
    Options
    @dmchicago that looks many  levels above what I’ve known as manicotti. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    caliking said:
    @dmchicago that looks many  levels above what I’ve known as manicotti. 
    The crepes elevate the dish 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options

16 hours at 230ish turned out incredible!! 18lb full brisket.
    Wow, that is the benchmark in my eyes. That must have tasted incredible!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Yep, yes sir I would
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Got Big Daddy Butt-Pounder ready to roll for tomorrow. 5 pork butts, several racks of ribs and an assortment of smoked sausages. 

That may be the best name for a rig like that I have ever heard 😂😂😂
    Nice Rig!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Picked this up at the local butcher shop in Melbourne on Saturday. "Full Blood Japanese Australian Chuck Steak", think that is the legalese labeling required since it can't technically be called Wagyu. Done with the cleanup after the Minimax clean burn so I'm ready to put this on when the baked potato in AF is about ready. @lousubcap - comments on the cook would be appreciated. It is a .95 lb piece of meat and expensive, but not as much as the SRF offerings there.

Just got here.  I'm guessing around 1 inch or 2.54 cm's thick.  I would go with a few quick flips (around 60 seconds per flip-eyeball the sear) on a hot grill or cast iron skillet. Somewhere in the 450-500*F range.  Salt (dry brine) a few hours or over-night (max) and go from the fridge straight to the cook.  Pull when a few degrees below your preferred temp but there are many here who can offer in sights and Google will have more.
    If conflicted go with the above.  It works, at least with 3/4 inch A5 wagyu steak.  FWIW-
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options

@lousubcap - Thanks for your insights. I pretty much did that. The cut piece as a test showed a little to rare to it went back on for two flips. The fat down the middle didn’t render like the other fat so I cut that out and enjoyed the rest.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    "Likes" to all the above cooks, all are over the top, going to see if I can hire a photographer for mine as they all look like there are taken on old Polaroid 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    edited December 2022
    Options
    No pictures, just an observation.  A few weeks ago I started making gravy and pan sauces from all the juices in the sous vide bags.  Tonight I sous vide some chicken thighs, sauced'em and put them under the broiler.  I made a fantastic sauce from the juice in the bags.  Stupid simple, and yet elevated the entire meal.  Now I am sad about all the amazing flavors I have thrown out over the years.  I have no idea why I didn't try this before.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    Options
    No pictures, just an observation.  A few weeks ago I started making gravy and pan sauces from all the juices in the sous vide bags.  Tonight I sous vide some chicken thighs, sauced'em and put them under the broiler.  I made a fantastic sauce from the juice in the bags.  Stupid simple, and yet elevated the entire meal.  Now I am sad about all the amazing flavors I have thrown out over the years.  I have no idea why I didn't try this before.
    Yes sir , master the mother sauced 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Lookin' good @texaswig !

How do the crackers come into play? Do they get some smoke too, or just topped with the bacon after its done?