Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Just got home from a Maine Sea duck venture. Took my girlfriend 2 years ago and she really enjoyed the layout boat hunting .. birds land in your face. She managed to harvest her first duck (an old squaw).

I think she’s officially hooked .. hung with me all day ..high was 27 degrees with a sustained 20 mph wind

Do the dogs get cold?  Do you have to dry them off or anything during a hunt?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @WeberWho just ordered for my son. Thanks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:

How do you like that Beretta?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited December 2022
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    One of my all-time favorite gifts my Mom has gifted me! I'm looking forward to trying these out and better yet it's veteran-owned and percentage of profits go to military and Veteran families!

It might be a nice last minute present for someone if you're still looking to get someone something. 

Just ordered the six pack.
    If I recall, last year at this time you supported a hot sauce "Devil's Own" small business.  I did the buy and it was solid.
    I'm in with the six-pack on the above.  
    No pressure for an offering in December 2023. B)
    Edit: I choked past the friggin Army reference!! 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    They certainly can get cold. Depending on the set up / how much you can get them out of the wind and dog’s individual tolerances.

My first lab I had.. he never seemed to get really too cold. Had an incredibly thick hair coat. Have pictures somewhere of him with icicles hanging off his whiskers and coat. Never checked up. 

Second lab was my female and if she  ever got cold she would get in the bottom of the boat or Pitt and once out of the wind she could care less. The people that had her before me had a pool and she would go break ice for fun ( no retrieving) just to swim.

Cache my current black lab just does not have a thick hair coat at all and he does get cold. I have to really watch the temperatures with him.
    He’s good down to just above freezing without his vest and only for an hour or 2
    if he has his vest and it’s below freezing then I can get about 2 hours before I notice a change in his performance and attitude and have to call the hunt.

if we’re hunting shallow rice fields and he’s in the pitt out of the wind he doesn’t mind sitting all day.

If we’re in my buddy’s boat it’s set up for a propane heater and we can extend the day. But there are some days it’s just too cold and we only hunt deep water rivers and use the boat to retrieve

My 6 month old chessie pup is going to be like my first dog. I took him out the other morning .. 45 degrees for his first hunt . 
    I was a little worried about him . But he jumped right in and swam straight to the blind and never seemed chilled.

@SGH
    love it  I’ve had it for 20 years, over 10 cases of ammo between target practice , dove season and duck hunting. First problem I’ve had out of it was this trip actually.. broke the recoil tube .. but 20 years and no problems… not going to complain and there’s enough following I can get parts for it.. so we’re going to try and get another 10 cases and 20 years..
    Did manage to get this black duck before it finally quit cycling 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @DuckDogDr thanks for the explanation.  It is pretty interesting how different dogs can be.  My Aussies love the cold and sleep outside as soon as temps drop below 50.  Even the last few mornings when we have had frost, they love it.  My Jack Russells hate anything below 60.  They love the heat though, 100 degs out and they will still lay on the sun.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Currently learning about my “white fragility” and how to control my micro aggressions in a work mandated training. 🙄
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    One of my all-time favorite gifts my Mom has gifted me! I'm looking forward to trying these out and better yet it's veteran-owned and percentage of profits go to military and Veteran families!

It might be a nice last minute present for someone if you're still looking to get someone something. 
    Thank you!, I had a SRF black tomahawk in the freezer for my secret santa gift at work. I’m going to slide in the hand grenades and hold onto the steak.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    MJG said:
    Currently learning about my “white fragility” and how to control my micro aggressions in a work mandated training. 🙄

nobody has shot the instructor yet.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    REB17 said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    tcampbell said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    tcampbell said:
    lousubcap said:
    @tcampbell - Great setup.  I don't know where "here" is but it's been drizzling here for about a week as well.
    Thanks.   West Tennessee 
    I will be in Memphis for a couple days after Christmas. Whats the best BBQ place in Memphis that you would recommend?
    Tell you the truth they all hit or miss. Central and Interstate are both usually pretty good. The Rendezvous downtown is where all tourists go.  It's in a alley basement, the experience is pretty neat food is average. You be careful in Memphis the crime is awful. Car break-ins and car theft is way above average. 
    Would we be safe with walking after dark along the downtown area (Beale street) with the kids?
    Unfortunately Beale Street is no more kid friendly than Bourbon St. They do have volunteer patrols in most areas during the evening. Like anywhere these days don’t be in these areas late at night. If you have a chance during lunch, I highly recommend both Gus’s Fried Chicken and Cozy Corner, which is close to St. Jude’s. 
    Thanks. We will try to hit one of those places for lunch

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Watched UPS truck drive to end of my street, turn around, and leave.  Then notification popped up and said "delivery attempted".  Nobody stopped, got out, or attempted anything.

Called UPS, they said dispatch would get a hold of me within 1hr.  We shall see. Hopefully, my packages don't start getting damaged now.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    SMH.  It snowed most of last night, and off and on all day today, really ugly morning commute.  Along with over one hundred accidents, the UHP also issued six  citations for speeding, all over 90 mph (top one at 102).  wtf?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch- you shouldn't even care.  Aren't you still living the "Every day is Saturday lifestyle?"  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Watched UPS truck drive to end of my street, turn around, and leave.  Then notification popped up and said "delivery attempted".  Nobody stopped, got out, or attempted anything.

Called UPS, they said dispatch would get a hold of me within 1hr.  We shall see. Hopefully, my packages don't start getting damaged now.
    As long as peeing on them doesn’t cause damage you’ll be just fine I’m sure. 😳😁
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well….ok then.

Options
    Pancetta in the IP

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Running on standby power last two hours.  Tornado plastered the area around me.  Debris everywhere.   I drove around a while and I didn’t see any power on for miles.
    Options
    @nolaegghead - reads like you were not in the direct line of fire (so to speak) so that is a good thing.  Glad to read that as the national (and local news here) did not drill down into the more specific locales of NO that got hit.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Unfortunately I'm quite sure your infrastructure took a substantial hit.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Wind passing though here now. The only power loss is because someone hydroplaned and took out a power pole.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It passed by very close to my shop and house, but, fortunately the damage as very localized to the path.   You can follow where it went by the power outages.  
    From the news it sounds like there’s a “Tornado Outbreak” there.  Better watch out I’ve heard those things can be contagious…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As any of you who have lived in or seen the tornado destruction path, it is quite well defined.  First one to roll thru my locale in over 40 years was about 3/4 mile from us in 2017.  Happened around midnight and lost power.  Headed out the next AM to see what the cause was/restoration estimate (no alert that it was a potential and no clue it happened). 
    Found the power company dealing with the downed poles etc and the debris field was very well defined.  It made short work of anything it its path and anything outside was not nearly as trashed.  Fortunately no deaths. 
    If I never experience that again, it will be too soon.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As any of you who have lived in or seen the tornado destruction path, it is quite well defined.  First one to roll thru my locale in over 40 years was about 3/4 mile from us in 2017.  Happened around midnight and lost power.  Headed out the next AM to see what the cause was/restoration estimate (no alert that it was a potential and no clue it happened). 
    Found the power company dealing with the downed poles etc and the debris field was very well defined.  It made short work of anything it its path and anything outside was not nearly as trashed.  Fortunately no deaths. 
    If I never experience that again, it will be too soon.  
    Yup.  I grew up on the north end of Tornado Alley, and have seen 3, 4 of them, but the closest call(s) was actually here in Utard, about seven years ago.  I was riding back to the office after my gym time, the wind really whipped up and it was just starting to rain, and a tree limb hit the street about 50' in front of me.  Even with a helmet, 2 seconds later and I wouldn't be here.  Another 45 seconds or so to my office, it was downpouring by then and I was soaked.  Parked illegally, ran into the atrium and most of the office building were in there watching me, even got a bit of applause.   :s:
    45 minutes later or so the front had passed, and I suited back up to ride home.  Once I got off-base I could see my route home crossed over the tornado's path a couple times, then I could see it climbed up from Riverdale to the west bench of Washington Terrace, VERY close to my place!!  My 15-minute commute took over two hours (due to power outages/debris), even had to stop for gas once.  
    The tornado had passed just a block and a half south of my place, took out a bunch of trees and damaged one house, and completely totaled another (I guess it fizzled out soon after, a fair amount of altitude change going up the benches).  My lights, phone and intranetz were out thru the weekend, actually got a visit from my boss on Saturday as they couldn't reach me by phone (I didn't have a cellphone then).  
    I'd still rather go thru a tornado than a hurricane, but only if I'm not in the DIRECT path of it... (and I'm talking about a regular tornado, not those mile-wide, 90-minute monsters of late).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    From the news it sounds like there’s a “Tornado Outbreak” there.  Better watch out I’ve heard those things can be contagious…
    Wear your tornado mask!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI