Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2022
    All the Engineers up from Central & South America at my work mix their instant coffee with Nestle Nido. I haven't tried it, but it smells pretty good at least. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • @caliking

”Some”. Lol. 

What was your MO? I have friends coming for a dinner party in a few weeks and I need an incredible stock recipe for ramen. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @caliking

”Some”. Lol. 

What was your MO? I have friends coming for a dinner party in a few weeks and I need an incredible stock recipe for ramen. 
    Ended up with about 3.5 gal. May have got a tad carried away =)

Roasted a turkey wing, turkey neck, and a couple of other parts, with several skinny carrots and several stalks of celery. Added that to about 20 qts of water, and let it simmer all day. A few fresh bay leaves and sprigs of fresh thyme. And a quart of pork stock I found in the freezer.  Made Demi glacé with 1.5 gal, and gravy with 1 gal. Saved 1 gal to make gumbo later this week.  

I needed more collagen in the mix, so noted for next time. For ramen, I’d add more roasted bones (veal, beef, chicken wings or feet), etc. 

Haven’t started my deep dive into Ivan Orkin’s “Ivan Ramen” yet, but it’s on the cards! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited November 2022
    Second one was too done.  I think medium rare might be right.  Needs a little more structure than well done provided, but this has the makings of a decent dessert.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Banana

Getting some good grill marks

First one was good, but needed a bit more time.  Second one will try a bit more time.

She looks ready

Incredible.  Have you tried smoking eggplant?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    caliking said:
    @caliking

”Some”. Lol. 

Roasted a turkey wing, turkey neck, and a couple of other parts, with several skinny carrots and several stalks of celery. Added that to about 20 qts of water, and let it simmer all day. A few fresh bay leaves and sprigs of fresh thyme. And a quart of pork stock I found in the freezer.  Made Demi glacé with 1.5 gal, and gravy with 1 gal. Saved 1 gal to make gumbo later this week.  

I needed more collagen in the mix, so noted for next time. For ramen, I’d add more roasted bones (veal, beef, chicken wings or feet), etc. 

Haven’t started my deep dive into Ivan Orkin’s “Ivan Ramen” yet, but it’s on the cards! 

A good free resource for anyone interested in a deep diving into ramen is this online book:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• My brother in law smoked 3 of the surplus roosters that they hatched this year then turned them in to a giant pot of chicken soup 
  • caliking
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    @caliking

”Some”. Lol. 

A good free resource for anyone interested in a deep diving into ramen is this online book:

Thank you! Meant to post this, but couldn’t find where I saved it. 

That dude is a legend over on Reddit. 

• caliking
    Second one was too done.  I think medium rare might be right.  Needs a little more structure than well done provided, but this has the makings of a decent dessert.
    Was it grilled banana by itself? I’ve seen a post before where someone stuffed an unpeeled banana with something. Maybe topped it off with ice cream, when serving. Can’t recall the deets. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    caliking said:
    Was it grilled banana by itself? I’ve seen a post before where someone stuffed an unpeeled banana with something. Maybe topped it off with ice cream, when serving. Can’t recall the deets. 
    Just the banana.  I jad some bananas that needed to get used, and a hot grill. They tasted really good, like bananas foster, but will take a bit more trial and error to get the texture right.

Stuffed banana would be a cool twist.  Might have to dwell on that for a minute.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    edited November 2022
    caliking said:
    Just the banana.  I jad some bananas that needed to get used, and a hot grill. They tasted really good, like bananas foster, but will take a bit more trial and error to get the texture right.

Stuffed banana would be a cool twist.  Might have to dwell on that for a minute.
    caliking said:

Lay the banana flat, about 1" from end, cut the peel, not the banana, all the way thru, then cut a straight from one slit to the other, then slit the banana and open.  Then stuff the slit with Hershey squares, mini marshmallows, or maybe vanilla wafers, cook until everything is melted, then top with whipped cream or iced cream.  Wouldn't take much imagination to come up with an "old fashioned banana split".  Options unlimited.  Will rival anything you you have ever used a banana for
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Next up for you @Ozzie_Isaac

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • in the dry brine, just a 14 pounder this year. brothers girlfriend tested positive sunday so theyre a no show. second time for her,  she is a nurse and keeps telling me not to get the booster......

What is the downside to getting the booster?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    she sees complications with seniors with bad medical problems and focuses with that sub group only, cant seem to convince her that old people with severe medical conditions have complications that may be there without the shots. that and she .......ill leave the politics out

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited November 2022
    I am old and have had every covid shot available-got number 5 (the latest cocktail) mid September.  I aim to be "last man standing, w/o getting covid."
    So far, so good.
    Did I tell you "I never met a shot I didn't like!"  =)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.