Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Major hurricane

Comments

• I think Jim Cant-ore walks at an angle even with no wind.
    He walks at an angle because one is so much more massive than the other.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I think Jim Cant-ore walks at an angle even with no wind.
    "Back home that's what we call an overcooked ham."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    This morning I'd never heard of Jim Cantore.  Now tonight I see he's branching out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxHXsZPZhY

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @Botch- Jim Cantore made his brand by getting positioned  (Weather Channel assist) into the weather hot spots around the country.   He landed (not a good sign for the location) in Louisville on August 4, 2009 as we got 6 inches of rain in one hour with more that followed. (Clearly the weather worthy story of the day.)
    If he never showed up on your doorstep , life was good weather-wise.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Yeah, after seeing a few memes via googlez I figured he's as welcome on your doorstep as the reporters from 60 Minutes...  :lol:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Foghorn said:
    kl8ton said:
    Foghorn said:
    That's good news for Tampa/St. Pete.  Bad news for friends of ours who just bought a house in Venice a few months ago.

Potentially disastrous news for Little Gasparilla Island.  Few people even know it exists because it is a barrier island only reachable by boat but I had an aunt that had a place there so we vacationed there a couple of times.  This storm could destroy most of the buildings there.
    Is that by Boca grand?
    Yes.  Boca Grande is on Gasparilla Island.  There is a road to it.  Little Gasparilla is the next barrier island to the north of that.  No roads to it and the houses are relatively poorly constructed.  It may just be a sand bar after this.

I climbed up that lighthouse! Wasn't exactly open.....

Looks like I may not be taking the annual Thanksgiving Ft Myers beach trip....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    There will probably be an abundance of trailers down there this year.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    Legume said:
    And an abundance of out of state roofers selling 15 year shingles and installing 5 year instead.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Do they make 5 year shingles?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734

My mom 
    Has peanut butter and bread, suncity. That's all I got. don't know what to to
    Say
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2 said:
    Legume said:
    And an abundance of out of state roofers selling 15 year shingles and installing 5 year instead.
    Judging from Katrina, most of them will just want to put the blue tarps on. They can do several of those a day while a good crew might be able to put shingles on 2 houses a day. More profit, quicker. We rented a house to one of those contractors after Katrina, when everybody had tarps up he left. The thing is the Mormons were putting them up for free.
  • We dodged a bullet again in the Tampa bay area, just lucky, I guess. Tomorrow, I am sorry to see the damage caused by this storm. UGG.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The vast majority of storm chasing construction workers and con men come from either Texas or Florida (not mutually exclusive) when we have a natural disaster.  A lot of these guys won’t have to travel far.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Weather man, best job in the world. Wrong 100% of the time, still getting paid
  • SamIAm2
    Waiting for this to move north. This system is moving very slow. Had a quick power glitch at 2:49 am. One more clock to reset and grateful for that. Have family near Tampa, waiting to hear how they are. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I just got report from brother-in-law (just south of Orlando near Disney) and a friend (north of Orlando).  One has power - one doesn't.  Neither house is flooded and all home structures remain intact including the screen over the pool at one location.  Hopefully the worst is over - but it will likely take a couple of days to learn about the damage on the Gulf coast.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2022
    ColbyLang said:
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    ColbyLang said:

they got the storm surge in tampa bay pretty spot on, within 24 feet is pretty close
    fukahwee maine

• I checked in with my cousin in Orlando, he said it was a rough night and they lost power around 11pm or so. They had a fence come down and their road is flooded but otherwise the house, cars, etc... are in good shape! I hope everyone else is staying safe.
    LBGE
    AL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited September 2022
    It is amazing they still have no idea where these things are going. The model I saw yesterday had it going straight north to Ohio by Sunday/Monday and now its going to shoot up the east coast.
    I wouldn't say they have no idea.  They have a pretty good idea of where it is headed the next couple of days.  After that the degree of uncertainty increases considerably, and that's where some of the models start to diverge, accordingly.

Hurricane forecasting is challenging because weather is fairly chaotic on its own and when you add in lots of turbulent flow things become even more unstable.  

But take a look at this gif at the beginning and what the forecast was last Friday and through the weekend - it was pretty darn accurate.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Good friends parents have a place on Sanibel Island.  The causeway to get there has been destroyed.  Not sure if they will setup some sort of ferry for residents to get out there of if they will have to find private boats to access the damage.  My parents were supposed to close on a place in Naples on Gulf Shore BLVD yesterday.  They postponed their trip and closing.  The current owners just had new hurricane windows installed last week.  No better way to test them out.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SamIAm2
     Now I have no electricity at my house.  Reported the outage and will wait on resolution.  i Idea when it will be restored or how many customers are affected. Happy, happy. joy, joy.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Current track has it going over my house on 2nd landfall, thanks again FL for taking the hit. I'll find out if that backup generator I put in 2 years ago works.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Good friends parents have a place on Sanibel Island.  The causeway to get there has been destroyed.  Not sure if they will setup some sort of ferry for residents to get out there of if they will have to find private boats to access the damage.  My parents were supposed to close on a place in Naples on Gulf Shore BLVD yesterday.  They postponed their trip and closing.  The current owners just had new hurricane windows installed last week.  No better way to test them out.
    I just learned that one of my colleague's parents have 2 condos - one on Sanibel and one on Captiva.  They are expecting total losses, but might not know for a while because the bridge is out. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    ColbyLang said:
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I miss the weather goats of Mt. Nebo.  They were never wrong!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:

Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.

the weather reports on the vhf on the boat is so much better than what i find online or watching the news.  its constantly updated and report in specific locations. i did not listen once on a calm blue bird day and still am not sure how i got back
    fukahwee maine