Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• WeberWho said:
    7 pork butts for friends. 

@lkapigian I'll have to give the aluminum pans a try with the next cook. I didn't make Sam's Club in time before they closed last night. I stopped in Walmart next door and they wanted $17 for 4 aluminum steam pans. That was a hard pass. I'll have to grab some the next time I'm in Sam's Club. 
    Those look fantastic. I use the Sams aluminum
    pans as well. I bought a huge stack like 5 years ago and still
    have 15-20 left. They were around $1 a piece back then FWIW. The9x13 are perfect for a LBGE. I’ll always have them around. The commercial foil is also a staple here. 18” wide and Super duty thick. The other thing that is always in my kitchen from Sam’s is the Members Mark sanitizer concentrate. We use it every day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited August 2022
    WeberWho said:

@lkapigian I'll have to give the aluminum pans a try with the next cook. I didn't make Sam's Club in time before they closed last night. I stopped in Walmart next door and they wanted $17 for 4 aluminum steam pans. That was a hard pass. I'll have to grab some the next time I'm in Sam's Club. 
    have 15-20 left. They were around $1 a piece back then FWIW. The9x13 are perfect for a LBGE. I’ll always have them around. The commercial foil is also a staple here. 18” wide and Super duty thick. The other thing that is always in my kitchen from Sam’s is the Members Mark sanitizer concentrate. We use it every day. 

I usually have a stack of two of the 9x13 pans from Sam's Club. They work good for all kinds of things. Unfortunately I was down to my last 3. The aluminum steam pans would have worked good with a couple butts on each shelf but $4/each just didn't seem worth the expense when I haven't used pans in the cabinet smoker in the past. I do plan to grab pans the next time in Sam's Club to try them out. I 100% agree with the commercial foil. I'll have to look into the sanitizer concentrate. Thanks for the tip.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    edited August 2022
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

I usually have a stack of two of the 9x13 pans from Sam's Club. They work good for all kinds of things. Unfortunately I was down to my last 3. The aluminum steam pans would have worked good with a couple butts on each shelf but $4/each just didn't seem worth the expense when I haven't used pans in the cabinet smoker in the past. I do plan to grab pans the next time in Sam's Club to try them out. I 100% agree with the commercial foil. I'll have to look into the sanitizer concentrate. Thanks for the tip.
    I buy in bulk - $34.99 for 30 comes to $1.17 each. Looking at my order history I buy a 30 pack about once a year. Under $1 each if you are willing to store a stack of 120.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N62XC5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are great pans and I use them for lots of different things. Fit perfectly on a Large.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited August 2022
    WeberWho said:

killer cook right there !

I'm going to give pan liners a go, I can get 250 for $40.00...I have plenty of hotel pans but use AL for ease of cleanup, also the AL Pans aren't always in stock anymore ...just have to keep the cooks ultra low 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I stopped in Sam's Club earlier this afternoon and half aluminum steam pans come out to .35 cents each and the full steam pans are .97 cents a piece. That sure beats Walmart wanting almost $4 for a full aluminum steam pan. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MasterC said:
    Once again dinner for one at the lake. NY Strip and rice 
    Seasoned with kosher salt and Dizzy Dust raising the steaks
    Went with reverse searing. Thirty five minutes indirect at 220/230 until internal temperature was 100°. 

After a ten minute rest it was seared at 550/600° for 6 minutes, one on each side

Delicious 
    Enjoy
    Great looking cook, but where are the greens?! Foster’s on the side, I see.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Nice tease @MasterC for the $$ shot.  Nailed it and I'm all in with no greens.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Striploins, onion and mushroom sauce, potatoes spinach salad and halloumi. 

That looks fantastic!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • @gmanrva

Thanks, my friend. Hit the spot. The onion mushroom recipe was very simple and can be found here. https://www.food.com/recipe/mushrooms-and-onions-for-steak-336273

(I am likely over-sharing here, but “Gman” was a nickname given to me in my last few years of high school.)
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Simple pork butt cooked by CNG 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    @CPFC1905 - would appreciate the details on your pork belly prep/cook as that looks great.  
    I've always liked pork belly.  It was traditionally the cheap cut, then a few years ago it was 're-discovered' when Gasto-pubs became a thing here.
    Briefly, during the 90's pubs went from sometimes serving simple food to more often following hybrid model of pub & heavily stylised comfort food.
    This was driven by law changes that meant pubs could become more open and hospitable, as opposed to man and smoke filled drinking dens. 

I still haven't nailed a consistent crackling, each iteration has a little progress. But SWMBO is now fan of this cut, so more developmental opportunities ahead.

1) 48 hours pre-cook. Score skin, apply heavy layer of fine (table) salt - leave uncovered in the fridge. 
    2) Several hours later, mop moisture off the top of the skin and re-salt.
    3) Repeat once or twice more until skin looks and feels dry.   This builds in a strong salty flavour to the skin, too.  
    4) Fire up the Egg, add plate setter and get it around to 550 dome temp, keep it around there for 20 mins. Skin side up. Very hot start and very dry skin is, by all accounts, the route to crackling.  
    5) Close the vents and let it roll for another 20 / 25 mins.  You'll sail through the min IT but as you can see, the moisture remains.  The fat will render to give a bit of natural smoke off the plate setter.   You could add in some chip/fruit wood at the start for smoke.
    6) Options from here,  a) pull it and rest for 10 mins  b) rotate on the grill to tickle along the skin - I'd avoid direct over coals as it will flame easily   c) take the skin off and grill for the crisp.
    7) Slice it thick.  The brackish taste encourages a steady flow of adult beverage too. 
    Tonight I gave this cook from @CPFC1905 a go.  It was everything he said.  Beyond inhaling straight-up the belly rules in the BLT world.
    My initial foray weighed around 0.8 kg.  I ran with his recommended *F temperatures.   If you want to change up from the belly burnt ends, this is the way to go.
    A couple of shots:

I failed to capture the juiciness of the money shot.  But it was there.
    Give it a go and many thanks to @CPFC1905 for the incentive.  
    Looks good, Cap! And don’t think the nod to metric system went unnoticed. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Hainanese Chicken with Rice.  No pics (it's steamed chicken thigh on white rice), but you get a video with a couple interesting techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPQb7Ab7COY

This sounded so simple, and I really only made it because I was lazy today, but this was one of the best lunches I've made in a looong time.  Most of it cooks in one pot (your rice cooker), and the scallion "sauce" is definitely a keeper on its own.
    The thighs were definitely juicy, and combined with the sambal oelec and the scallion oil, it was farkin' delicious; and the raw cuke (which I've never served on its own before) was the perfect foil to the chili in between bites.  The only disappointment was the flabby, fatty skin; I could see just peeling it off and frying it separately for something.  But it sounds like its necessary to get some fat into the rice, which was subtle but a perfect side.  This one's a keeper for me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Turkey meatloaf to take to the parents. In the oven though as it looks too rainy outside.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2022
    @Botch - one of my sisters lived in Singapore for some time, and introduced us to Hainanese chix and rice. Its a quick cook, and SO flavorful. A keeper for sure. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Striploins, onion and mushroom sauce, potatoes spinach salad and halloumi. 

Double points awarded for halloumi.  Well done.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:

Tonight I gave this cook from @CPFC1905 a go.  It was everything he said.  Beyond inhaling straight-up the belly rules in the BLT world.
    My initial foray weighed around 0.8 kg.  I ran with his recommended *F temperatures.   If you want to change up from the belly burnt ends, this is the way to go.
    A couple of shots:

I failed to capture the juiciness of the money shot.  But it was there.
    Give it a go and many thanks to @CPFC1905 for the incentive.  
    Outstanding & welcome aboard!   Your crackling looks much better than mine. 
  • CPFC1905
    MasterC said:
    Once again dinner for one at the lake. NY Strip and rice 
    Seasoned with kosher salt and Dizzy Dust raising the steaks
    Went with reverse searing. Thirty five minutes indirect at 220/230 until internal temperature was 100°. 

After a ten minute rest it was seared at 550/600° for 6 minutes, one on each side

Delicious 
    Enjoy
    Lovely, lovely work.
    And yes,  what's with the Fosters?  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Looks amazing!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @Wooderson -Way to give it a go.  You did that steak and meal justice.  Great crust as well.  Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.