Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    fishlessman said:
    It's a bit strange having people walk right thru while you are standing there. Hello,. Can I help you.....my 40 pound dog has a white tail, wears orange in the fall. All the dogs in the hood wear orange
    I did not realize that; wow.  
    My meager contribution here was a story from Minnesota maybe twenty years back.  A hunter saw/heard a deer approaching, took careful aim, and fired once.  
    He killed his target, cleanly.  And the target's passenger.  On the back of the snowmobile (I believe they're called "sleds" now).  With one bullet.  
    Fortunately that guy went to prison, I don't remember how long.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2022
    For argument's sake - if an incident where an armed citizen took down a shooter has the gun nuts all rah-rah'ing about arming every "good guy" out there... then, these incidents where an idiot hunter killed an innocent person, should be sufficient to rally support for banning hunting. Right?

Two incidents have already been mentioned here. Plus, there's at least D!ck Cheney's hunting buddy who got shot in the face some years back. That's a whopping three!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    caliking said:
    For argument's sake - if an incident where an armed citizen took down a shooter has the gun nuts all rah-rah'ing about arming every "good guy" out there... then, these incidents where an idiot hunter killed an innocent person, should be sufficient to rally support for banning hunting. Right?

Two incidents have already been mentioned here. Plus, there's at least D!ck Cheney's hunting buddy who got shot in the face some years back. That's a whopping three!!
    Ban the animals and the birds, they shouldn’t be allowed to change directions and ****.
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Yeah, I don’t/won’t live like that, but you have fun being scared.
    So you feel better getting killed? Sounds very much like lib logic.

Fear has nothing to do with carrying a gun. That's where all of you libs have trouble. Its being prepared for something that may never happen but then again....it may. Its like you saying you don't want to live in fear so you will not use smoke alarms in your home. Most people never need one but some will be saved due to owning one.

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on a cop to be there
    *Depend on a good guy with a gun to save you
    *Depend on luck...

The smoke alarm one is good, I hadn’t heard that before.  Does it come with a meme?
    Funny that none of you have an argument for something so simple. 
    It is pretty simple.

The probability is low, the impact is high, “good guy with a gun” mitigation doesn’t make sense to me because of the effort, the lack of reliability and effectiveness and that doesn’t begin to address the idea of everyone and their cousin packing guns and the lack of discipline, training, etc. that goes with that.  When everyone is carrying, good guys are gonna get shot in the chaos and confusion of a shooting event.

Having a fire in your home - low probability (but much higher than getting shot unless you’re in a restaurant in Kansas), high impact, smoke alarms are cheap and effective mitigation, no brainer.

You can’t mitigate everything, I choose not to carry because it’s EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that I’ll be involved in a shooting UNLESS EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY IS CARRYING GUNS THINKING THEYRE GONNA STOP A BAD GUY.

This mass gun fantasy fueled by pure NRA and political manipulation is going to increase shootings.  Because, hey, if everyone has guns and it’s easy to get them and I don’t have to have any license or training, etc., then we’re arming the lowest common denominator, we’re arming people that have anger issues, that have impulse control problems, people that have hero fantasies and will look for opportunities to be a hero.  

What % of the population would you trust to just buy a gun and carry?

It’s easy to say - I’m responsible with a gun and I’m not stupid and then not worry about who else can get a gun and what they’re like.  You’re being told to be afraid of the people that want to take your guns because they want to disarm you and because  tyranny, deep state, blah blah blah.  Don’t look here, look over there, that’s what they’re telling you and darned if you don’t give yourself whiplash looking where they tell you, saying what they tell you to say.  Good boy.

Wake the f*ck up, you and your ilk have lost all common sense, you’ve just willingly given it away thinking the redcoats are coming.
  • Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

Fear has nothing to do with carrying a gun. That's where all of you libs have trouble. Its being prepared for something that may never happen but then again....it may. Its like you saying you don't want to live in fear so you will not use smoke alarms in your home. Most people never need one but some will be saved due to owning one.

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

The smoke alarm one is good, I hadn’t heard that before.  Does it come with a meme?
    It is pretty simple.

The probability is low, the impact is high, “good guy with a gun” mitigation doesn’t make sense to me because of the effort, the lack of reliability and effectiveness and that doesn’t begin to address the idea of everyone and their cousin packing guns and the lack of discipline, training, etc. that goes with that.  When everyone is carrying, good guys are gonna get shot in the chaos and confusion of a shooting event.

Having a fire in your home - low probability (but much higher than getting shot unless you’re in a restaurant in Kansas), high impact, smoke alarms are cheap and effective mitigation, no brainer.

You can’t mitigate everything, I choose not to carry because it’s EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that I’ll be involved in a shooting UNLESS EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY IS CARRYING GUNS THINKING THEYRE GONNA STOP A BAD GUY.

This mass gun fantasy fueled by pure NRA and political manipulation is going to increase shootings.  Because, hey, if everyone has guns and it’s easy to get them and I don’t have to have any license or training, etc., then we’re arming the lowest common denominator, we’re arming people that have anger issues, that have impulse control problems, people that have hero fantasies and will look for opportunities to be a hero.  

It’s easy to say - I’m responsible with a gun and I’m not stupid and then not worry about who else can get a gun and what they’re like.  You’re being told to be afraid of the people that want to take your guns because they want to disarm you and because  tyranny, deep state, blah blah blah.  Don’t look here, look over there, that’s what they’re telling you and darned if you don’t give yourself whiplash looking where they tell you, saying what they tell you to say.  Good boy.

Wake the f*ck up, you and your ilk have lost all common sense, you’ve just willingly given it away thinking the redcoats are coming.
    Friend you lay out your own misguided fears over and over then tell me I'm afraid. A little bit ironic don't you think?

Here's a little tidbit too...Most people don't want to carry because its not very convenient or comfortable. There are already close to 400 million guns in ownership. If there were going to be a wild west of non trained gun owners shooting people left and right by accident, I believe you would have known about it by now.

Being prepared is never a bad thing. That's why a seatbelt, smoke alarm, owning a generator, saving for retirement, buying extra food, a security system in your home, or owning a gun is not panic. They all have the same things in common. Its called being prepared for the unknown. 

Some people should not own or carry guns if they are not comfortable doing so. You are one of those folks I suppose. That's fine and dandy. Once again...you can just wish on your lucky star you are never in that position. Hope and luck may just work great for you since you don't trust yourself with a firearm. "It can never happen to me" makes people sleep good at night I guess.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Friend you lay out your own misguided fears over and over then tell me I'm afraid. A little bit ironic don't you think?

Here's a little tidbit too...Most people don't want to carry because its not very convenient or comfortable. There are already close to 400 million guns in ownership. If there were going to be a wild west of non trained gun owners shooting people left and right by accident, I believe you would have known about it by now.

Being prepared is never a bad thing. That's why a seatbelt, smoke alarm, owning a generator, saving for retirement, buying extra food, a security system in your home, or owning a gun is not panic. They all have the same things in common. Its called being prepared for the unknown. 

Some people should not own or carry guns if they are not comfortable doing so. You are one of those folks I suppose. That's fine and dandy. Once again...you can just wish on your lucky star you are never in that position. Hope and luck may just work great for you since you don't trust yourself with a firearm. "It can never happen to me" makes people sleep good at night I guess.
    It’s pretty hilarious how you keep making assumptions about people that end up being galactically wrong.  But please, by all means, continue.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Opening up the laws from the controlled concealed carry laws that have existed to the newer so called constitutional carry movement that lets any dope carry will mean more people will carry and not carry well. Some barriers to entry are good, they ensure that there is a commitment to carry properly, not carry on a whim.

Yes, I do have an understanding of risk management, that’s the name for a lot of what you’re saying about saving for retirement, owning a generator, preparing for the unknown.  Except it’s not really preparing for the unknown, it’s understanding what risks exist, understanding those risks (eg probability, impact, etc) and then taking steps to mitigate them.  The doomsday preppers on the old tv show were good at imagining lots of bad scenarios and then investing time and money to mitigate the effect of those risks should they come to pass.  They raised tilapia in their repurposed backyard pools, they stored carrots in buckets of sand in big holes underground, they carry around gas masks and homemade knives and bits of gold for when society goes sideways.  

All good stuff if you rate their risks the same as they do, but we all don’t.  That’s why you carry a gun, I don’t, yet you say I’m afraid.  Do you carry a gas mask around with you, because there are endless scenarios of purposeful and accidental exposure to toxic air.  You may not rate that as something to be concerned about, so you don’t have a gas mask with you all the time.  You choose to carry a gun to mitigate some risks because the cost to mitigate is less to you than the impact of that risk and the probability of it happening.  Everybody’s math is different and there is always more than one way to mitigate risk, usually with different costs.  People choose.
  • Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Opening up the laws from the controlled concealed carry laws that have existed to the newer so called constitutional carry movement that lets any dope carry will mean more people will carry and not carry well. Some barriers to entry are good, they ensure that there is a commitment to carry properly, not carry on a whim.

Yes, I do have an understanding of risk management, that’s the name for a lot of what you’re saying about saving for retirement, owning a generator, preparing for the unknown.  Except it’s not really preparing for the unknown, it’s understanding what risks exist, understanding those risks (eg probability, impact, etc) and then taking steps to mitigate them.  The doomsday preppers on the old tv show were good at imagining lots of bad scenarios and then investing time and money to mitigate the effect of those risks should they come to pass.  They raised tilapia in their repurposed backyard pools, they stored carrots in buckets of sand in big holes underground, they carry around gas masks and homemade knives and bits of gold for when society goes sideways.  

All good stuff if you rate their risks the same as they do, but we all don’t.  That’s why you carry a gun, I don’t, yet you say I’m afraid.  Do you carry a gas mask around with you, because there are endless scenarios of purposeful and accidental exposure to toxic air.  You may not rate that as something to be concerned about, so you don’t have a gas mask with you all the time.  You choose to carry a gun to mitigate some risks because the cost to mitigate is less to you than the impact of that risk and the probability of it happening.  Everybody’s math is different and there is always more than one way to mitigate risk, usually with different costs.  People choose.
    The fear was mentioned due to the fact you name all these bad scenarios you think are imminent if more people own guns. Criminals already are packing and never waited for a rule to allow it. You call our citizens dopes because they choose to exercise their rights. It’s just more of the same condescending attitude the left shows at every turn. No one said you must show the same level of preparation for every scenario. Just respect someone else’s choice to do what they see is best for themselves. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

The fear was mentioned due to the fact you name all these bad scenarios you think are imminent if more people own guns. Criminals already are packing and never waited for a rule to allow it. You call our citizens dopes because they choose to exercise their rights. It’s just more of the same condescending attitude the left shows at every turn. No one said you must show the same level of preparation for every scenario. Just respect someone else’s choice to do what they see is best for themselves. 

Dude... take 8 seconds, to read any 8 of your posts in the last 2 weeks.

• caliking
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

And, I don't know where to start with this one. You've recently demonstrated that you yourself don't subscribe to this notion.

Hypocrite.

• caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

And, I don't know where to start with this one. You've recently demonstrated that you yourself don't subscribe to this notion.

Hypocrite.
    Im not the one telling you what to own or not to own. If you want to talk abortion then it’s a separate life that’s not able to speak for itself. 

If you want to talk hypocrite then read every post by the resident libs here. You are fast to point fingers yet never hold anyone on the left to any standard. If you had any moral compass you would be posting on this current administration. There’s plenty to post on yet never a peep. Does it just slip your mind or maybe you just agree with their tactics? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I normally do not engage in these threads but talking about moral compass, integrity and the oath of office after the Cheeto clown show is too rich to ignore.  Hopefully this country will never see another dear leader like that.  He makes Nixon look like a saint.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Hypocrite.
    Im not the one telling you what to own or not to own. If you want to talk abortion then it’s a separate life that’s not able to speak for itself. 

If you want to talk hypocrite then read every post by the resident libs here. You are fast to point fingers yet never hold anyone on the left to any standard. If you had any moral compass you would be posting on this current administration. There’s plenty to post on yet never a peep. Does it just slip your mind or maybe you just agree with their tactics? 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    WOW!  Anything for a buck at its best.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 673
    edited July 2022
    At some point the advertising will have to get regulated like the other two letters in ATF. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited July 2022
    WTF with WP and NYT pay walls.
    Edit: it's not like you can't find other sources for the same news. 
    canuckland
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 673
    edited July 2022
    My bad on the link. Have posted reader views of other more important articles. Will try to only post non pay wall links. It’s not a huge revelation for most people that constraints placed on alcohol and tobacco advertising had a positive effect on public health.  One more to go for the trifecta (ATF).  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344

How Guns Are Sold

Andrew Ross Sorkin, Jason Karaian, Vivian Giang, Stephen Gandel, Lauren Hirsch, Ephrat Livni, Anna Schaverien
    10-13 minutes

DealBook Newsletter

Gun control advocates are petitioning the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the firearms industry’s marketing practices.

April 7, 2022

Credit...Daniel Acker for The New York Times
    The way that the gun industry advertises its products faces growing scrutiny

Illusion of safety?

Gun control advocates are petitioning the Federal Trade Commission today to investigate and regulate the firearms industry as it has with tobacco, alleging that gun manufacturers use deceptive advertising practices.

The petition, which DealBook is first to report, is the latest salvo aimed at the marketing tactics of an industry that has largely been protected from liability for the harms of its products because of federal laws. The groups urging action by the F.T.C. include Brady, the Giffords Law Center, March for Our Lives and the Firearms Accountability Counsel Taskforce.

Gun marketing promotes an illusion of safety, the petitioners say. Americans have “been falsely led to believe that gun ownership is a safe way to protect their home and family,” they argue. The C.D.C. reported 45,222 deaths from gun-related injuries in 2020 (an earlier version of this item misstated the year, because of an editing error). The F.T.C. “has effectively given the gun industry a free pass,” the petitioners say.

Advocates have asked the F.T.C. to investigate the gun industry before, starting in 1996. The F.T.C. can choose to address or ignore this latest petition, which comes as the Biden administration has expressed support for more transparency on gun manufacturers’ operations and state-level lawsuits have begun to break through the industry’s barriers to litigation.

• In February, the families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims settled a suit for $73 million against Remington that alleged the gun maker’s aggressive marketing violated Connecticut law by promoting firearms to troubled men like the one responsible for the massacre. The settlement opens internal company documents to scrutiny, which would offer a rare view into how gun makers like Remington develop their marketing messages. President Biden described it as a step in “holding gun manufacturers accountable for manufacturing weapons of war and irresponsibly marketing these firearms.”

• Last year, a New Jersey judge ruled in favor of the state’s attorney general in a lawsuit against Smith & Wesson for its advertising practices, requiring the company to release internal documents. The ruling was recently overturned, leaving the state’s lawsuit intact but the release of documents uncertain. Smith & Wesson said in a filing that the suit sought to “suppress and punish lawful speech regarding gun ownership in order to advance an anti-Second Amendment agenda.”

The F.T.C.’s enforcement of federal consumer protection law could look to these state precedents, like the Connecticut consumer law that allowed the Sandy Hook families to sue. “If a company violates the consumer protection laws with false advertisements, that is not protected activity,” said David Pucino of the Giffords Law Center. “They are breaking the law.”

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Hypocrite.

I’m not sure you intentionally try to be stupid or attempt at just being funny. The first ones you list are meant to be states issues and that’s how they should be handled. The Constitution is tough for a lib to deal with. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Wow.  Just... wow.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WildmanWilson
    WildmanWilson Posts: 482
    edited July 2022
    HeavyG said:

How Guns Are Sold

Andrew Ross Sorkin, Jason Karaian, Vivian Giang, Stephen Gandel, Lauren Hirsch, Ephrat Livni, Anna Schaverien
    10-13 minutes

DealBook Newsletter

Gun control advocates are petitioning the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the firearms industry’s marketing practices.

April 7, 2022

Credit...Daniel Acker for The New York Times
    The way that the gun industry advertises its products faces growing scrutiny

Illusion of safety?

Gun control advocates are petitioning the Federal Trade Commission today to investigate and regulate the firearms industry as it has with tobacco, alleging that gun manufacturers use deceptive advertising practices.

The petition, which DealBook is first to report, is the latest salvo aimed at the marketing tactics of an industry that has largely been protected from liability for the harms of its products because of federal laws. The groups urging action by the F.T.C. include Brady, the Giffords Law Center, March for Our Lives and the Firearms Accountability Counsel Taskforce.

Gun marketing promotes an illusion of safety, the petitioners say. Americans have “been falsely led to believe that gun ownership is a safe way to protect their home and family,” they argue. The C.D.C. reported 45,222 deaths from gun-related injuries in 2020 (an earlier version of this item misstated the year, because of an editing error). The F.T.C. “has effectively given the gun industry a free pass,” the petitioners say.

Advocates have asked the F.T.C. to investigate the gun industry before, starting in 1996. The F.T.C. can choose to address or ignore this latest petition, which comes as the Biden administration has expressed support for more transparency on gun manufacturers’ operations and state-level lawsuits have begun to break through the industry’s barriers to litigation.

• In February, the families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims settled a suit for $73 million against Remington that alleged the gun maker’s aggressive marketing violated Connecticut law by promoting firearms to troubled men like the one responsible for the massacre. The settlement opens internal company documents to scrutiny, which would offer a rare view into how gun makers like Remington develop their marketing messages. President Biden described it as a step in “holding gun manufacturers accountable for manufacturing weapons of war and irresponsibly marketing these firearms.”

• Last year, a New Jersey judge ruled in favor of the state’s attorney general in a lawsuit against Smith & Wesson for its advertising practices, requiring the company to release internal documents. The ruling was recently overturned, leaving the state’s lawsuit intact but the release of documents uncertain. Smith & Wesson said in a filing that the suit sought to “suppress and punish lawful speech regarding gun ownership in order to advance an anti-Second Amendment agenda.”

The F.T.C.’s enforcement of federal consumer protection law could look to these state precedents, like the Connecticut consumer law that allowed the Sandy Hook families to sue. “If a company violates the consumer protection laws with false advertisements, that is not protected activity,” said David Pucino of the Giffords Law Center. “They are breaking the law.”

Just more backdoor attempts at gun control.

“ Americans have been falsely lead to believe that gun ownership is a safe way to protect their home and family “. Lol. Falsely? How stupid. Why do you think criminals don’t come into your home ? Mostly because they know you may shoot them. Even if you don’t pack or own, a criminal must weigh the option if you are an easy target. Crime is up though due to the democrat policies. You can play the odds game if you want. I’d rather put the odds in my favor and not be as easy a target. 
  • Legume

Show me that doormat at your house, or are you all hat?
  • whew- that website smells like a hobby lobby. wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • but looks like somebody has the app!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

So you have a choice.
    *Never go out
    *Depend on luck...

It is pretty simple.

Hypocrite.

I’m not sure you intentionally try to be stupid or attempt at just being funny. The first ones you list are meant to be states issues and that’s how they should be handled. The Constitution is tough for a lib to deal with. 
    You've proven, time and again, that it just comes naturally to some folks. 

• Why don’t you gun hating libs post a sign on your house or on your car or on your person telling everyone you are a gun free zone and you own no guns ? I’ll tell you why. You stand like cowards behind the people that do own guns. You can be smug about guns being bad yet you do not want a criminal to know because you are then an easy target. You still have the element of surprise because others aren’t afraid to do the dirty work for you.