Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Buyer beware, don't buy these products - OT

alaskanassasin
alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
edited June 2022 in Off Topic
 I thought this might be a interesting thread to start.   As a self proclaimed tight wad I get infuriated when products don't work as advertised or fail prematurely. Maybe someone can save me a headache in the future by adding something.

I will start.

We bought a "Maytag" "Commercial Duty" washing machine 1 year 3 months ago.  Apparently it is made by another manufacturer and branded Maytag.

I will try to keep it brief.

First it is constantly off balance with any kind of real load.
 We had a error code a 45 days ago, the sticker on the side says 10 year warranty,  appliance store orders part based on code. Dude comes out says it needs a control board not the part they ordered.  Appliance store says it is not under warranty $300 part, 10 year applies to the drum and motor.  I call "Maytag" they agree to fix it out of warranty (3 months) with a one time courtesy repair, this is 45 days with out a washing machine.

The issue is that steam from the load seeps out of the lid and covers the control board in moisture.  2 days after appliance guy leaves, the machine is making a huge squeaking sound when soaking and spinning, I go to investigate and the display on top is covered in moisture, unrelated to the squeak but another board failure is imminent.
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I am gonna enjoy the contents of this thread.  To offer one for those of us (okay-old) who still has a land-line:  Don't buy Panasonic remote phones.  In short their performance degrades charge-wise and clipping the conversation about one-two months after the end of the two year warranty.  I am sure I will have more.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Samsung appliances. Just google it. Horrific. We bought a $3600 fridge and and an $800 dishwasher when we redid our kitchen. Neither made it a year and Samsung hosed us on both. We spent $1200 repairing the fridge and it all broke again plus other stuff. We finally just gave up and threw it out. Same with the dishwasher. It is the worst appliance I have ever even heard of. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Blackstone was absolutely awful working with when dealing with their warranty department a few years ago. We eventually were able to resolve things but they tried every excuse not to help me out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Samsung appliances. Just google it. Horrific. We bought a $3600 fridge and and an $800 dishwasher when we redid our kitchen. Neither made it a year and Samsung hosed us on both. We spent $1200 repairing the fridge and it all broke again plus other stuff. We finally just gave up and threw it out. Same with the dishwasher. It is the worst appliance I have ever even heard of. 

We have Samsung washer and dryer and they suck.
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited June 2022
     .... and the display on top is covered in moisture, unrelated to the squeak but another board failure is imminent.
    Pull the board out and conformal coat it.  Should help protect it from moisture.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
     .... and the display on top is covered in moisture, unrelated to the squeak but another board failure is imminent.
    Pull the board out and conformal coat it.  Should help protect it from moisture.

Learned something, thanks.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Wow @The Cen-Tex Smoker I remember my mil bought a samsung washer and dryer and one was being recalled for a fire hazard or something, luckily she got them swapped out back when Sears was a thing.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We had the ‘Samsung’ experience with an LG dishwasher.  We had an appliance guy out for something else and had him look at the LG which had become really noisy.  He basically said don’t bother, it’s the motor and they all do this, replace and it will happen again in 12 months.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Rut Row. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Judging by my parents, the ice maker of LG fridges. By both our experiences Troybuilt 4 cycle weed trimmers with the take apart shafts.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    LG fridge ice maker works only when it feels up to it. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Electrolux refrigerators. Their ice makers suck as well
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Whereas my 20 year old Kenmores ice maker is still working.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Generic toilet paper. Not worth the risk of a tear and touching where you should be wiping. 

Seriously though - we have a  kenmore pro propane range/oven. Looks great, but has one mode: very high. The oven, one mode- slow.  We also had the fridge ditched it last year, compressor failed after 3 years. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ^^ agree ^^
    I haven’t given myself a reach around in years
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    LG fridge ice maker works only when it feels up to it. 
    Brought to you by McDonald's.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Kind of disappointed you didn’t title this thread “Caveat Eggtor”

Just trying to keep it real, yo.

FYI, I am blitzed.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    WeberWho said:
    Blackstone was absolutely awful working with when dealing with their warranty department a few years ago. We eventually were able to resolve things but they tried every excuse not to help me out. 
    Just curious, as to what problems you had with your BE? 
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    sancho65 said:
    WeberWho said:
    Just curious, as to what problems you had with your BE? 
    The issue I had was with the stainless body/stand of the Blackstone frame. I was told excuse after excuse on why they couldn't help me. Everything from they were moving buildings to me buying it at Menards. The excuses were endless. I like the product for the most part but the warranty department was awful. I was persistent and I think they just were tired of me by the end of it. The first person who delt with me either quit or was fired. I was told by her that she was going to get back to me and months went by. I emailed back wondering when I was going to receive an answer and I was told the previous person no longer worked there. So I had to resubmit everything and go through the same process all over again. I got the same runaround from them the second time. I want to say it close to 6-8 months from start to finish before receiving my new Blackstone stand.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    WeberWho said:
    The issue I had was with the stainless body/stand of the Blackstone frame. I was told excuse after excuse on why they couldn't help me. Everything from they were moving buildings to me buying it at Menards. The excuses were endless. I like the product for the most part but the warranty department was awful. I was persistent and I think they just were tired of me by the end of it. The first person who delt with me either quit or was fired. I was told by her that she was going to get back to me and months went by. I emailed back wondering when I was going to receive an answer and I was told the previous person no longer worked there. So I had to resubmit everything and go through the same process all over again. I got the same runaround from them the second time. I want to say it close to 6-8 months from start to finish before receiving my new Blackstone stand.  
    The intranetz has done a lot of damage to Humanity, but there are little things that do good, for the majority of us.  
    Thank you for taking the time to type that out; it helped me with a decision that was coming up.  :thumbsup:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @WeberWho - way to stay the course.  Congrats for pushing back against the corporate greed and eventually prevailing.  You are the exception that gives hope to those of us who share the same principles.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    dmchicago said:
    Generic toilet paper. Not worth the risk of a tear and touching where you should be wiping. 

We should talk. 
    If I didn’t know you and @ColtsFan had Toto washlets, this reads odd!  :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not quite in the same vein of the intended post here...but. I want to add a different twist of being persistent!

last Friday I went to my local ACE and purchased several things including a 10 foot piece of 16/3 wire cut by an employee. Then Friday I began to use that wire only to discover it was only 16/2 inspite of being charged for 16/3. Since I had peeled back the sleeve and the 2 wires I left them exposed. Saturday I took the wire back to ACE. The clerk who actually had even waited on me quickly said store policy is "no refunds on cut wire"!  I said...wait...I paid for 16/3 but got 16/2. She then said, I'll call the store manager and then she  repeated the same policy of no refunds for cut wire! I was starting to get pissed off and showed her the 2 wires which should have been 3 wires! Affer contacting that store manager again  the lady manager finally appeared and tried to explain store policy of no refunds for cut wire which really pissed me off! Finally I convinced her that this was 16/2 NOT 16/3 and no...I wanted the 16/3 that my recipt proved that I had paid for! 
    10 minutes later I walked out with 10 foot of 16/3. I was polite and never suggested what I thought she might do with that returned 10 foot piece of 16/2!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the farm jack from harbour freight has tried to kill me several times. piece of crap. it will decide to drop 3000 pounds on you if you are not careful. i need to find an old one in a barn sale or something
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Unusual customer service from ace @RRP.   Curious what your working on with 16/3, pretty small stuff
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    RRP said:
    Not quite in the same vein of the intended post here...but. I want to add a different twist of being persistent!

last Friday I went to my local ACE and purchased several things including a 10 foot piece of 16/3 wire cut by an employee. Then Friday I began to use that wire only to discover it was only 16/2 inspite of being charged for 16/3. Since I had peeled back the sleeve and the 2 wires I left them exposed. Saturday I took the wire back to ACE. The clerk who actually had even waited on me quickly said store policy is "no refunds on cut wire"!  I said...wait...I paid for 16/3 but got 16/2. She then said, I'll call the store manager and then she  repeated the same policy of no refunds for cut wire! I was starting to get pissed off and showed her the 2 wires which should have been 3 wires! Affer contacting that store manager again  the lady manager finally appeared and tried to explain store policy of no refunds for cut wire which really pissed me off! Finally I convinced her that this was 16/2 NOT 16/3 and no...I wanted the 16/3 that my recipt proved that I had paid for! 
    10 minutes later I walked out with 10 foot of 16/3. I was polite and never suggested what I thought she might do with that returned 10 foot piece of 16/2!
    Short extension cord?  Didn't the 16/2 have a ground wire?  I don't think I have ever seen 16/3 wire used in a home application.  It is only rated for 13 amps.

Tell us about your project!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I’m not sure 16 gauge Romex even exists.  But in extension and appliance cords it is very common.  Mostly for lighting.
    yes it exists and is normally used to have 2 positives with a common ground.   since the 2 positives should be wired to separate legs in breaker box the returns if used at same time will cancel each other and not overload the common
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I close the 16/3 for a wall mounted box in my work shop to be used for battery charging and powering a hand held sander. No heavy duty usage. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.